Research Associate-Fixed Term
Job descriptionJob no: 685932
Work type: Faculty/Academic Staff
Major Administrative Unit / College: College Of Agriculture And Nat Resources
Department: Animal Science Department Anr 10002063
Sub Area: FAS- Fac./Acad Staff
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Full Time (90-100%), Fixed Term Academic Staff, Information Technology, Research/Scientific, Non-Union
Research Associate – AFRIPosition Summary
The Animal Breeding and Genetics group at Michigan State University is seeking a postdoctoral research associate for a 3-year position in the area of animal breeding and statistical/computational genomics to work in collaboration with the Department of Computer Science and Engineering. The successful candidate is expected to independently develop and implement genomic prediction methods that make use of genomic and environmental information.
Applicants must have completed a PhD in animal breeding and genetics, statistical/computational genomics, or a related area. Candidates must possess in-depth knowledge of genomic prediction models and their applications to animal breeding programs; experience with dairy and beef cattle is a plus. Expertise in big data analytics and programming, particularly R and C/C++ is required; knowledge of Python and Artificial Intelligence methods is desirable. Applicants should possess excellent skills in analytical and creative thinking and a strong background in statistics and computer science.
Specific duties of this position include:
- Develop genomic prediction methods that make use of environmental information,
- Develop statistical and computational methods for effective implementation of these methods on large scale data sets,
- Report on results in peer reviewed journal papers,
- Write grant proposals in the area,
- Assist with supervision of graduate students and with teaching of graduate courses.
This position is initially for one year, renewable annually based on performance, for three years with possibility of further appointment subject to funding.
Salary is competitive and based on career stage, with medical benefits offered in the salary package. Travel and training opportunities will be provided to the successful candidate. Consideration will be given to working remotely (in the US or overseas) until the university resumes normal on campus activities.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.Required Degree
- Appropriate qualifications and research training relevant to the duties, including completion of a PhD in statistical/computational genomics or animal genetics.
- Knowledge of quantitative genetics and its role in animal breeding programs.
- Experience in computer programming, particularly C++ and R.
- A strong record of research achievement and publication, relative to opportunity.
- Ability to communicate research outcomes and research ideas.
- Ability to take initiative and independently develop research proposals.
Questions about this position should be addressed to Prof. Cedric Gondro ([email protected]), Department of Animal Science, Michigan State University.Review of Applications Begins On
Michigan State University has been advancing the common good with uncommon will for more than 160 years. One of the top research universities in the world, MSU pushes the boundaries of discovery and forges enduring partnerships to solve the most pressing global challenges while providing life-changing opportunities to a diverse and inclusive academic community through more than 200 programs of study in 17 degree-granting colleges.
Advertised: Dec 28, 2020 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Dec 27, 2022 Eastern Standard Time