LAB RESEARCH ANALYST I
School of Medicine:
Established in 1930, Duke University School of Medicine is the youngest of the nation’s top medical schools. Ranked tenth among its peers, the School takes pride in being an inclusive community of outstanding learners, investigators, clinicians, and staff where traditional barriers are low, interdisciplinary collaboration is embraced, and great ideas accelerate translation of fundamental scientific discoveries to improve humanhealth locally and around the globe.
Comprised of 2,400 faculty physicians and researchers, the Duke University School of Medicine along with the Duke University School of Nursing and Duke University Health System create Duke Health. Duke Health is a world-class health care network. Founded in 1998 to provide efficient, responsive care, the health system offers a full network of health services and encompasses Duke University Hospital, Duke Regional Hospital, Duke Raleigh Hospital, Duke Primary Care, Private Diagnostic Clinic, Duke Home and Hospice, Duke Health and Wellness, and multiple affiliations.
TheDuke Center for Human Systems Immunology is seeking a detail -oriented scientistto fulfill a key role as Lab Research Analyst 1 to de velop and perform assays toassess the immune response to vaccination or infection for influenza,SARS-CoV-2,and other global health pathogens. T he study results generated bythe person in this role will inform human c linical and pre-clinical trials for vaccines.The person in this role wil l also play a key role in assay development and standardizationand in te sting feasibility of novel methods. This person must be very organized, possess excellent communicationskills, have a high level of technical pr ecision, be interested in assaydevelopment and optimization, enjoy worki ng in a fast-paced lab environmentwith multiple priorities, and be able to work well as part of a team. Jobfunctions include:
- Perform complex and highly technicalassays in the laboratory to evaluate antibody dynamics in samples from clinica land preclinical vaccine trials. Carefully and accurately document assay conditions, results, and qualitycontrol findings and report them prompt ly to meet deadlines.
- Play a key role in the developmentandstandardization of new assays, par ticipating in discussions of next stepsfor follow up assays and in assay design.
- Perform antibo dy binding assays suchas binding antibody multiplex assay (BAMA), ELISA, MSD, and other assays in thelab. Develop new methods and protocols, opt imize reagents, test variousconditions, and determine feasibility of ass ays using novel antigens.
- < span>Assist with data analysis and writingof qualification documents.
- Assist the laboratoryand project managers by contributing to the overall effort to streamline the workload, improve theefficiency of the team, and contribute to t hedaily laboratory effort to adhereto Good Clinical Laboratory Practice (GCLP) guidelines. Assistwith writing and editing Standard Operat ing Procedures (SOP's).
- Maintain laboratory and associated equipment in a clean,well-ordered, a nd functional manner. Keep supplies on hand with a well-plannedinventor y and ordering system.
- Maintain laboratory notebook in anorderly fashion for tracking experi ments and results. Provide written updatesof work each week.
PreferredSki lls & Experience
- Strong background in lab oratory techniques with technicalprecision
- Two year s of research experience or equivalent combination ofrelevant education and research experience
- Must be able to manage mult iple and rapidly changing prioritiesand have the ability to quickly lear n new skills
- Must be detail-oriented and well orga nized with strong communicationskills and the ability to work in a fast- paced interactive team environment.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in botany, biology, zoology, psychology or other directly related scientific field.
Work requires two years of research experience. A related master's OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE degree may offset required years of experience on a 1:1 basis, e.g., a two year master's degree in lieu of two years of experience.
Duke is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essentialjob functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.