Warehousing and Delivery Assistant
Warehousing and Delivery Assistant
Salary: $3,692.42 - $4,428.74 Monthly
Job Type: Full Time
Job Number: Warehousing-2020
Closing: 1/18/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Location: Norwalk, CA
This position will close on January 18, 2021 at 11:59 PM (or when 150 applications are received, whichever occurs sooner).
Delivers and picks up a variety of printed materials, mail, inventoried supplies, and equipment to College and off-site locations, ensuring proper handling, receipt, and safe transport.
Distinguishing Career Features
The Warehousing and Delivery Assistant is a customer service position, responsible for moving mail, inventories supplies, and equipment among all College buildings.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Picks up and delivers parcels, office supplies, campus mail, print orders, and other materials, on scheduled routes and by special arrangement among campus buildings.
- Picks up, sorts, and delivers incoming and outgoing mail for posting at various local-area post offices. Receives improperly addressed parcels, conducts research to determine proper destination for delivery.
- Picks up and delivers equipment to and from College sites and remote storage locations.
- Receives and inspects shipments. Matches purchase order information to items received. Documents damaged containers and items. Notifies purchasing to follow-up with vendors.
- Loads, unloads, unpacks, and stores inventoried items and distributes non-inventoried items directly to purchasers.
- Provides miscellaneous delivery and pick-up services such as for urgent supply requests, keys, and documents to and from the County Office of Education or other agency.
- Assists and serves as backup for the College's centralized mailroom operations. ? Assists warehouse team leader as required.
- Takes and delivers mail. Signs for special mailings. Prepares postal documentation. Prepares bulk mailings.
- Delivers photocopier paper, other office supplies, and furniture to various College locations.
- Receives, documents, and delivers including surplus supplies and equipment to be placed in off-site storage.
- May pick up and deliver bank deposits and other monies to local financial institutions. Accepts receipts and verifies that amounts balance transaction documents.
- Participates in moving office fixtures including those to-and-from warehouse and other storage locations.
- May oversee and train student and/or temporary staff engaged in deliveries.
- Maintains currency of knowledge and skills related to the duties and responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
The position requires knowledge of safe and courteous motor vehicle and forklift operation techniques. Requires a working knowledge of general and specialized safety precautions for lifting and transporting materials. Requires basic knowledge of warehouse and mail distribution methods. Requires basic knowledge of the servicing procedures for coin operated machines. Requires knowledge of two-way radio operations and dispatch codes. Requires a basic knowledge of the United States Postal Service and commercial mailing service codes and procedures. Requires sufficient knowledge of personal computers to access information and use common office productivity software. Requires sufficient math skills to record numerical sequences, sums, averages, and percents. Requires sufficient human relation skills to convey a positive image of the College and its services.
Requires the ability to drive safely and courteously to protect assets of the College and meet delivery schedules. Requires the ability to safely handle and transport cash, checks, and other types of funds. Requires the ability to obtain a certificate and operate a forklift. Requires the ability to evaluate and prioritize workload and schedule routes to optimize deliveries. Requires the ability observe safety precautions, including those for proper handling and transport of materials and safe lifting techniques. Requires the ability to use a pallet jack, forklift and other labor saving devices. Requires the ability to work independently and collaboratively with internal and external customers. Requires the ability to learn advanced mail handling and warehousing techniques. Requires the ability to maintain productive and cooperative working relationships with others.
Requires the ability to function indoors and outdoors performing work of an active nature. Requires sufficient ambulatory ability to stand and walk for extended distances. Requires strength to lift, push, pull, and place medium weight items (under 50 pounds) onto shelves on a sustained basis and heavy weights (up to 75 pounds) on an intermittent basis. Requires sufficient hand-eye coordination to operate office equipment, a motor vehicle, and forklift. Requires sufficient visual acuity to recognize moving objects at a distance, people, and printed material. Requires auditory ability to carry on conversations in person.
Licenses and Certificates
Requires a valid driver's license and forklift driver's certificate.
Work is performed indoors and outdoors where safety considerations exist from physical labor and moving objects.
Conditions of Employment
This is a full-time, 12-calendar month classified position
Hours of employment are:
Monday thru Friday 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Initial placement of employees on Classified Salary schedule is at Step 1. After six months of successful probationary employment, employee is placed at Step 2.
Employment is to be effective as soon as possible following completion of the selection process.
Individual who is offered employment shall be required to obtain fingerprints for a criminal history clearance through the State Department of Justice and remit the required fee for processing the fingerprints, Federal Bureau of Investigation (no fee if obtained at Cerritos College Campus Police Station), produce an original social security card, and submit negative TB test results (must be within the past four years or within the last 60 days if not previously employed in a school district in California) before employment.
Proof of eligibility to work in the United States and signing of loyalty oath per Government Codes 3100-3109.
**Please note - the District does not provide for immigration sponsorships such as H1B Visas
Education and Experience
The position requires a high school diploma, or the equivalent, and 2 years of experience in a warehousing, distribution, courier, or mailroom capacity.
Employment is conditioned upon candidate demonstrating a valid California Drivers License with a driving record that meets the District's minimum standards as stated in District Administrative Procedures 6530, District Vehicles (Download PDF reader), Lines 23 - 29.
Preferred qualifications include forklift certification obtained within the last three years (Reference: United States Labor Department of Labor - OSHA).
Transcripts and Foreign Degrees
It is the applicant's responsibility to provide copies of all transcript(s) verifying all educational degree(s) and/or coursework required for the position.
A foreign transcript must be evaluated by a NACES certified agency. The web address is www.naces.org.
All qualifying educational degrees/training must be from regionally accredited colleges and/or universities.
Application materials must be submitted by the closing date. Applicants who need special services or facilities due to disability in order to apply or interview for this position must notify Human Resources at the time of application or at least 72 hours prior to the closing date or date of a scheduled interview.
Cerritos College is ranked 14th among the top 100 schools with the highest Hispanic enrollment in the United States by the United States Department of Education. Cerritos College serves as a comprehensive community college for southeastern Los Angeles County. Communities within the college's district include Artesia, Bellflower, Cerritos, Downey, Hawaiian Gardens, La Mirada, Norwalk, and portions of Bell Gardens, Lakewood, Long Beach, Santa Fe Springs and South Gate. Cerritos College offers degrees and certificates in more than 180 areas of study in nine divisions. Enrollment currently averages 23,000 students. Visit Cerritos College online at http://www.cerritos.edu
The Purchasing Department oversees contracting, purchasing, public works, warehouse operations, and the district's telecommunications and mail center. Total purchase order (PO) and contract volume averages approximately $38 million each fiscal year. Additional information may be located at:
https://www.cerritos.edu/purchasing/. The Warehouse and Delivery Assistant reports directly to the Director of Purchasing and Contract Administration with oversight by the Lead, Warehousing and Delivery position, and will be instrumental in the day-to-day operations of the District's warehouse.
Required Documents needed to apply
Cover letter / Letter of Interest
Copy of Transcripts (Optional)
3 Recommendation Letters (Optional)
Forklift certification of completion (Forklift certification is required per the job description.)
Supplemental Questionnaire (see below for questions) Upload your answers under Supplemental Questionnaire
1. Describe your experience with receiving and delivering orders.
2. Describe your experience operating warehouse equipment (such as forklifts, pallet jacks, hand trucks, and dollies).
3. What attracted you to this role and to work for this organization?
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/cerritosedu/jobs/2893938/warehousing-and-delivery-assistant
The District ensures that all qualified applicants for employment and employees have full and equal access to employment opportunity, and are not subjected to discrimination in any program or activity of the District on the basis of national origin, religion, age, sex or gender, race, color, medical condition, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, physical or mental disability, or because he or she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. .
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency