Job Title: Postdoctoral Fellow
Location: Augusta University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 220424
Required Qualifications Ph.D. or equivalent degree from an accredited college or university.Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Willingness and ability to work with research teamsAbility to work independently with only general supervisionExcellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skillsDetail-oriented with strong organizational and prioritization skillsBasic competency in data management and analysis or willingness to learnAbility to complete work and to meet deadlines and maintain confidentialityProficient in Microsoft Office and other computer software/databases or willingness to learnPreferred Qualifications Although outstanding candidates in all areas of physiology will be considered, special consideration will be given to individuals who have some background in applied exercise physiology, neural control of the cardiovascular/renal systems, vascular function, or other related areas of cardiovascular, metabolic, or pulmonary research. Experience measuring Flow-mediated dilation (FMD) and muscle sympathetic nervous system activity (MSNA) using micron urography in humans is preferred.Responsibilities A training position designed to learn through engagement in an advanced level of scientific technical and administrative work in support of research efforts in an assigned laboratory or clinical research setting. Participate in research data collection and documentation within relevant guidelines and protocols; develop and evaluate new research techniques and procedures; publish results in scientific journals. Perform a variety of complex chemical, biological, cytologic, microscopic, histologic, surgical, clinical, statistical/computational and dissection procedures.The duties include, but are not limited to:
- Frequent contact with principal investigator to discuss results and to plan projects. Daily contact with other researchers, technologies, and technicians in core facilities and other laboratories to coordinate projects and perform experiments.
- This position requires responsible decision making regarding the supervision of continuation of certain projects, and keeping the lab functional. Important decisions will be made in consultation with the principle investigator.
- Participate in project planning and development of research protocols while insuring adherence to accepted scientific research principles and compliance with relevant federal guidelines.
- Analyze results of experiments and procedures using manual or computer techniques and, if necessary, develop special computer programs to facilitate analysis. Teach and participate in complex bacteriological, chemical and/or radio-chemical qualitative and quantitative analysis, macro- and micro-serological, histologic and cell culture procedures.
- Coordinate and participate in research of scientific literature; summarize and evaluate findings; develop derivative applications of techniques developed by own research activities or reported by other research projects. Presents findings at scientific meetings locally, nationally and internationally.
- Compose articles for publication in scientific journals; review articles prepared by others.
- Supervise and coordinate activities of students, graduate assistants and other research personnel engaged in research activities and/or related laboratory work. Advise principal investigators, other postdocs, students and other research personnel on research techniques, procedures and other technological aspects of research activities.
- Calibrate, troubleshoot, repair and operate microscopes, computer-linked analytical equipment, dedicated computers and other complex scientific equipment; instruct others in operation of equipment.
- Perform all other related duties/tasks as assigned.
Shift/Salary Shift: Days/M-F Salary: $47,476/Annually
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position Recruitment Period:Conditions of Employment All candidates are required to successfully pass a Background Check review prior to starting with Augusta University.PostDocStatement This position is being posted as a Postdoctoral position; however, dependent upon the selected candidate's education, training, experience and prior job performance, they may qualify for a Postdoctoral or Senior Postdoctoral level.Equal Employment Opportunity Augusta University is proud to be an equal opportunity employer welcoming applicants from underrepresented groups, including individuals with disabilities and veterans.Credit Check This position will require the acquisition of a P-Card and/or handle cash, credit or other sensitive information and will require a satisfactory Consumer Credit check as a condition of employment.Other Information This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success." Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Share this job with your network:
Learn more on Inside Higher Ed's College Page for University