GCHC Certified Nursing Asst
Job Title: GCHC Certified Nursing Asst
Location: Helms Facility
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 220018
- Licensed/Certified as a CNA/CMA in the State of Georgia or a CCMA/Medical Assistant or Certified Nursing Assistant Program recognized by our organization.
- Prefer one year of clinical experience.
- Current BLS/BCLS certification. American Heart provider course only.
- Must relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs. Normal bending, reaching, stooping. Standing and sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move quickly across the compound in cases of emergency. Normal levels of hearing and seeing, if necessary, with corrective appliances.
- Must be able to perform BCLS.
- Security clearance by the Georgia Department of Corrections.
- Provides direct care services including all services within scope of certification.
- Performs general triage duties (obtain and document all vital signs, weight, etc.).
- Maintains a professional attitude and dress at all times in accordance with GDC/ GCHC dress code policies.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations and reports any security concerns to immediate supervisor.
- Maintains a good working relationship/responds appropriately with correctional and health care staff, contract providers, outside agencies within the facility.
- Utilizes established departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.
- Adheres to HIPAA Regulations and maintains all patient confidentiality as required by Law and GDC/GCHC Policy.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution.
- Assists in the supervision of inmate orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and reporting on/off duty and quality of work.
- Works as scheduled and follows GCHC policies for leave, time-keeping and call-ins.
- Follows GCHC over time policy.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors.
- Follows standards set forth in GDC/GCHC code of conduct and ethics statement.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits.
- All other duties as assigned.
Clinical: Under direction of Licensed Nursing Staff or Advanced level Provider
- Accepts staffing assignments and performs other related duties as required or assigned by the DON, RN or Designated Charge Nurse, LPN. Performs within the normal limits of GDC/GCHC facility policies/procedures and standards.
- Adhere to all established GDC medical protocols.
- Accurately obtains and documents patient's vital signs, health history, and other appropriate data.
- Assists with direct patient care as assigned.
- Performs/documents patient treatments such as foot soaks, dressing changes, and suture removal, as directed by designated licensed staff.
- Performs ECG's on patients and maintains the log.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and medical record.
- Documents all patient encounters utilizing SOAP format as required by GDC policy.
- Completes order transcription with documented training and nursing co-signature on all orders.
- Gives required report before leaving.
- Legibly completes all mandated logs in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP.
- Completes all assigned duties in the infirmary according to GDC SOP/LOP and physician's orders.
- Assists with personal care needs of patients with care of skin, mouth, hair, ears/nails, dressing, bathing, and grooming as indicated.
- Assists with bed making and care of personal belongings such as clothing, dentures, eyeglasses, hearing aids, etc for infirmary patients.
- Assists with meals, tube feeding, and monitoring fluid intake as needed.
- Assists with use of toilet, use of PPE and drainage equipment (such as Foley catheter, ostomy bag, etc.). Records Input and Output as ordered.
- Provides assistance with ambulation, transfers, and assistive devices such as walkers, canes, and wheelchairs. Utilizes safe practices in the use of mechanical lifts. Uses proper body mechanics when assisting patients in transfers (i.e., chair to bed, stretcher to bed, and bed to wheelchair).
- Assists in turning, repositioning and performing range of motion exercises as needed. Reports any abnormalities of skin condition to RN/LPN/MD.
- Observes and reports signs and symptoms of common conditions such as: behavioral changes, cough, cold, cyanosis, nausea and vomiting, shortness of breath, fever and pain.
- Maintains aseptic techniques. Verbalizes and demonstrates use of universal precautions for all patients and situations.
- Observes all isolation precautions with the use of protective hepa-filter masks when indicated.
- Demonstrates awareness of infection control procedures and patient safety needs.
- Assists MD, PA's, NP's with minor surgical procedures or other nursing staff with procedures or duties as assigned.
- Assists RN/LPN with Emergency response as needed in the medical unit as necessary within the housing units.
- Must maintain current BCLS and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement use of the AED (defibrillator).
- Performs venipuncture, draw labs, collect specimens and ensure proper infection control standards are maintained (after appropriate standardized Phlebotomy training). Uses all safety devices as required.
- Prepares and protects specimens for transport. Ensure all biohazard waste is properly secured, stored, and disposed of within the facility.
- Completes all lab scheduling activities such as data entry, requisition completion, results distribution to the medical records department for inclusion in inmate’s medical charts, maintaining lab tracking log.
- Properly disposes of all needles/syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies and procedures. Meets all GDC security requirements with needles/syringes. Uses all safety devices as required.
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.
- Attends all meetings, in-services, and training activities
- Assist in training/precepts new personnel.
- Requests and attends training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal/informal means.
- Reports all staff safety or patient care issues to the DON, Charge Nurse or RN as soon as possible.
- All other duties as assigned.
Correctional health care, one of the fastest growing health services in the nation, offers fulfilling roles in a variety of settings. As an employee of Georgia Correctional HealthCare, you will have not just another job, but rather a mission! With your passion, you will take a leading role in achieving our mission to provide quality health care to the state’s inmate population. You’ll meet new challenges! But the rewards of making such a significant difference in people’s lives will make those challenges worthwhile.
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is the division of the Augusta University that provides high quality healthcare to over 60 Georgia Department of Correction facilities state wide. Since 1997, GCHC has prided itself on delivering a high level of quality care while controlling the spiraling costs associated with inmate healthcare.
GCHC AAEEO/Condition Statement
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).
Pay Grade: 5
Minimum Salary: $12.24/hr
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: September 15, 2020 until filled