GCHC Staff Nurse
Job Title: GCHC Staff Nurse
Location: Pulaski State Prison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 218759
- Licensed as an RN in the State of Georgia. Prefer two years clinical experience.
- Functions within the Georgia Board of Nursing Nurse Practice Act.
- Current BCLS certification; American Heart or American Red Cross HealthCare provider only. Must be able to perform BCLS.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs. Normal bending, reaching, stooping. Standing and sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move quickly across the compound in cases of emergency. Normal levels of hearing and seeing, if necessary, with corrective appliances.
- Must relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers.
- Security clearance by the Georgia Department of Corrections.
Responsible for the delivery of patient care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation. Directs and guides patient teaching, nursing activities and ancillary personnel while maintaining standards of professional nursing.
- Maintains a professional attitude and dress at all times in accordance with GCHC/ GDC dress code policy.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations and reports any security concerns to immediate supervisor.
- Maintains a good working relationship/responds appropriately with correctional and health care staff, contract providers, outside agencies within the facility.
- Utilizes established departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.
- Adheres to HIPAA Regulations and maintains all patient confidentiality as required by Law and GDC/GCHC Policy.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution.
- Assists in the supervision of inmate orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and monitors when reports for duty and leaves.
- Works as scheduled and adheres to GCHC policies for leave, timekeeping and call ins.
- Follows GCHC over time policy.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors.
- Reports directly to the DON to discuss clinical issues.
- Follows standards set forth in GDC/GCHC code of conduct and ethics statements.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Accepts staffing assignments and performs other related duties as required or assigned by the DON or Designated Charge Nurse. Performs within the normal limits of State Nurse Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses, policies and procedures, GCHC/GDC facility policies/procedures and standards.
- Adheres to all established GDC nursing protocols. Assesses physical, psychological, and social dimensions of patients within the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement, and on discharge in accordance with GDC SOP/LOP, nursing procedure manual and GDC/ GCHC established protocols.
- Summarizes assessment data and makes a triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.
- Plans an individual nursing treatment program.
- Utilizes approved GDC/GCHC nursing assessment treatment protocols and approved GDC/GCHC nursing procedure manual and approved forms.
- Utilizes referral process to appropriate providers as required by policy.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in obtaining a health history, planning care and patient teaching.
- Consults and communicates as necessary, on a need-to-know basis, any patient information with nurses, physicians, clinical associates, correctional officers, non-clinical staff, supervisors and department heads etc. Reports inmates with special or extraordinary medical problems to the Medical Director, DON or health authority as appropriate.
- Implements individual treatment program in the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units as ordered by the physician, clinical associate or appropriate therapist.
- Intervenes with proper nursing technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.
- Implements proper nursing techniques/procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedure manual/designated protocols and available resources.
- Ensures that physician's orders are transcribed and implemented in a timely manner in accordance with SOP.
- Administers medication according to proper nursing techniques and procedures, including IV therapy and all other approved routes of administration.
- Utilizes pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in administering medications.
- Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the approved GDC/GCHC formulary. Documents administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.
- Documents non-adherence counseling for medications in accordance with SOP.
- Implements nutrition and therapeutic diet plan as ordered by physician.
- Follows facility procedures for documenting, obtaining and monitoring compliance for therapeutic diets.
- Documents all patient encounters, utilizing problem oriented medical records system SOAP format as required by GDC policy.
- Legibly completes all mandated logs and Health Records Forms in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP. Completes required shift report before leaving the unit. Maintains compliance with all mandated logs and checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled medication. Does not leave shift until counts cleared and logs signed. Notifies supervisor immediately of any inaccurate counts or missing medications. Reports discrepancies to facility Administration, Regional Pharmacist and GCHC Pharmacy Director.
- Transcribes orders in a timely manner and in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP'S.
- Completes required shift report before leaving the unit.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as directed.
- Makes rounds in infirmary a minimum of once per shift and records assessment on the nursing infirmary flowsheet on all patients. Implements all physician orders. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on a periodic basis; charts and reports problems to supervisor. Follows all infirmary SOP's. Maintains infirmary log.
- Assists Advanced Practice Providers (APPs = NPs and PAs) as needed
- Performs venipuncture, draw labs, collect specimens and ensure proper infection control standards are maintained. Prepares and protects specimens for transport. Complete all lab scheduling activities such as data entry, requisition completion, results distribution to the medical records department for inclusion in inmate’s medical charts, maintaining lab tracking log.
- Ensure all biohazard waste is properly secured, stored, and disposed of within the facility.
- Properly disposes of all needles/syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies/procedures and GDC security requirements. Uses all safety devices as required.
- Must maintain current CPR and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement/use the AED (defibrillator).
- Responds to Codes and emergencies in a timely manner.
- Works as scheduled. Routinely monitors schedule for changes.
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to nursing staff.
- Maintains CEUs as required by Georgia Board of Nursing.
- Assists in training/precepting new personnel.
- Attends all meetings, in-services and training activities.
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal/informal means.
- Completes annual required training hours as mandated by GDC policy.
- Reports all staff safety issues to the Director of Nursing as soon as possible.
- All other duties as assigned.
Correctional health care, one of the fastest growing health services in the nation, offers fulfilling roles in a variety of settings. As an employee of Georgia Correctional HealthCare, you will have not just another job, but rather a mission! With your passion, you will take a leading role in achieving our mission to provide quality health care to the state’s inmate population. You’ll meet new challenges! But the rewards of making such a significant difference in people’s lives will make those challenges worthwhile.
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is the division of the Augusta University that provides high quality healthcare to over 60 Georgia Department of Correction facilities state wide. Since 1997, GCHC has prided itself on delivering a high level of quality care while controlling the spiraling costs associated with inmate healthcare.
GCHC AAEEO/Condition Statement
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).
Pay Grade: 17
Minimum Salary: $28.00/hr
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: 9/15/2020 until filled