GCHC Registered Med Lab Tech
Job Title: GCHC Registered Med Lab Tech
Location: Augusta State Medical Prison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 220701
Completion of an accredited program in medical laboratory technology. Minimum of one-year laboratory technician experience preferred. Necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities of standard laboratory procedures involved in clinical laboratory work. Good physical condition and mental health; able to work under pressure; relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers.
IV GENERAL DUTIES:
Performs laboratory tests as ordered by a physician within the capability of the facility.
V GENERAL DUTIES:
- Perform all laboratory tests within the capability of the facility, as ordered by a physician.
- Collect as necessary, prepare and protect specimens.
- Perform venipuncture.
- Maintain proper records of tests and complete reports on lab work.
- Make the necessary arrangements to secure and send specimens to outside lab vendors as required.
- Perform calibrations and linearity for quality assurance and accurate results.
- Maintain reference standards to ensure accurate test results.
- Maintain and inventory stocks of reagents and supplies.
- Evaluate new lab services and procedures and make recommendations.
- Perform proficiency tests.
- Prepare lab for inspections by accrediting agencies (Office of Health Services, etc.)
- Responds to Codes and emergencies in a timely manner.
- Adheres to safety and security policies and participates in disaster drills.
- Maintains clean and orderly working environment consistent with universal precautions and other applicable infection control standards.
- Properly disposes of all needles / syringes in accordance with Infection control policies and procedures.
- Follow-up of all abnormal lab results.
- Log results of HIV and RPR's.
- Count needles and produce "needle sheet" each day at days end.
- Maintain a professional attitude and behavior at all times.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations.
- Responds appropriately to supervisors, co-workers, and security personnel.
- Assist in training new personnel.
- Attend all meetings, in-services, and training activities.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution.
- Wears professional and appropriate uniform to designate status as member of health care team.
- Works as scheduled and follows GCHC's policies for leave.
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal and informal means.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to the HSA and DON.
- All other duties as assigned.