GCHC Asst Director of Nursing - Savannah, GA
Job Title: GCHC Asst Director of Nursing - Savannah, GA
Location: Coastal State Prison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 218477
- Licensed as an RN in the State of Georgia. BSN Degree or an AD in nursing with a BS in related field of Administration preferred.
- 2 years experience in nursing administration in a medical surgical setting and prefer previous experience in correctional health care.
- One year supervisory experience, preferably in an acute care setting.
- Good organizational and decision making skills; good physical and mental health; able to work under pressure; must relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers.
- Functions within the Georgia Board of Nursing Nurse Practice Act.
- Current BCLS Certification; American Heart or American Red Cross Health Care Provider courses only.
- Must be able to lift 50lbs. Normal bending, reaching, stooping. Standing and sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move quickly across the compound in cases of emergency. Normal levels of hearing and seeing, if necessary, with corrective appliances. Must be able to perform BCLS.
- Security Clearance by the Georgia Department of Corrections.
Under general direction of the Director of Nurses and the HSA, assumes responsibilities for supervision of all nursing units. Assists in planning, formulating, developing and evaluating programs/services. Directs assignments and activities of professional nursing personnel. Assists in completing Performance Evaluations. Assists in evaluating patient care, unit conditions, and equipment use. Assists in monitoring CQI programs as they relate to patient care. This is a working position which requires active visibility on the medical unit monitoring daily activities and filling in as needed.
- Maintains a professional attitude and dress at all times in accordance with GCHC/ GDC dress code policy. Ensure all unit staff adheres to dress code as well.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations and reports any security concerns to DON or HSA.
- Maintains good working relationship/responds appropriately with correctional and health care staff, contract providers, outside agencies within the facility.
- Utilizes established departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.
- Adheres to HIPAA Regulations and maintains all patient confidentiality as required by Law and GDC/GCHC Policy.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution.
- Assists in the supervision of inmate orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and reporting on/off duty and quality of work.
- Works as scheduled and adheres to GCHC policies for leave, timekeeping and call ins.
- Follows GCHC over time policy.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action communicating issues to DON/HSA. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to DON and/or HSA.
- Follows standards set forth in GDC/GCHC code of conduct and ethics statements.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits as requested.
- Assists as scheduled/requested in regional reviews with the CPC.
- Assists the HSA or DON in Corrective Action Planning and any required follow up training/studies as needed pertaining to nursing services.
- Functions as a role model for nursing staff by being tactful and diplomatic at all times; Mentors and provides leadership for nursing staff.
- Assists in ensuring compliance with the policies, procedures, goals, and philosophy of GCHC.
- Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, operational issues, personnel matters, clinical concerns, in-services, unresolved problems, etc.) to supervisor and supervised personnel
- Ensures adequate staff coverage at all times for assigned institution(s) by monitoring daily activities on medical unit and filling in as needed.
- Manages work schedules daily; assigns and posts daily duties for nursing staff, during DON absence.
- Provides Administrative supervision/support by accepting “on-call” status of being available to the nursing staff 24 hrs/day; 7 days per week by cell phone and returning to the facility to assist with duties or emergencies as needed on a rotating basis.
- Supervises and evaluates work performance of nursing staff in accordance with GCHC policy and procedures. Provides guidance as needed. Informs DON of staff issues.
- Assists with written annual evaluations on all supervised employees. Completes six-month probationary evaluation on new employees with DON.
- Assists DON with personnel actions as requested such as counsel, discipline, suspend and/or terminate employees who violate policies established by GCHC or the Department of Corrections.
- Rotates on-call with DON.
- Works shifts as needed during periods of short staffing. Performs within the normal limits of State Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses policies and procedures, GCHC facility policies / procedures, and standards.
- Consults and communicates as necessary, any patient information with nurses, physicians, clinical associates, correctional officers, non-clinical staff, supervisors and department heads etc. Reports inmates with special or extraordinary medical problems to the HSA/DON/Facility Administrative staff.
- Assesses physical/psychological/social dimensions of patient and implements individual treatment program in the health care unit or, as necessary, in the housing units as ordered by the physician, clinical associate, appropriate therapist, etc.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in obtaining a health history, planning care and patient teaching.
- Intervenes with proper technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.
- Implements proper techniques/procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedure manual/designated protocols and available resources.
- Ensures that physician's orders are implemented and transcribed in a timely manner in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOPs.
- Ensures nursing staff administers medication according to proper techniques/ procedures (including IV therapy and all other approved routes of administration) using the formulary and documenting administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and medical record.
- Ensures nursing staff document all patient encounters, utilizing problem oriented medical records system SOAP format as required by GDC policy.
- Legibly completes all mandated logs and Health Record Forms in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as directed.
- Assists Advanced Practice Providers (APPs = NPs and PAs) as needed.
- Completes required shift report before leaving medical unit.
- Ensures nursing staff maintain compliance with all mandated logs/checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled medication. Does not leave shift until counts cleared and logs are signed. Report discrepancies to DON, HSA, facility Administration, CPC, Regional Pharmacist and GCHC Pharmacy Director.
- Utilizes pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in administering medications.
- Documents non-adherence counseling for medications in accordance with SOP.
- Performs venipuncture, draw labs, collect specimens and ensure proper infection control standards are maintained.
- Prepares and protects specimens for transport. Ensure all biohazard waste is properly secured, stored, and disposed of within the facility.
- Completes all lab scheduling activities such as data entry, requisition completion, results distribution to the medical records department for inclusion in inmate’s medical charts, maintaining lab tracking log.
- Ensures nursing staff properly disposes of all needles/syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies/procedures and GDC security requirements. Ensures staff utilizes mandated safety devices at all times.
- Monitors the urgent/emergent log on all scheduled work days; ensures all appropriate patients returning from outside services (ER, Hospital, Infirmaries, etc.) are referred and seen by the APP as required by GDC/GCHC policies.
- Responds to Codes and emergencies in a timely manner.
- Reviews status of inmates with serious health problems, ensuring all necessary intervention/treatment is completed.
- Ensures the provision of good quality patient care services in accordance with established standards of basic health care and SOPs. Ensures compliance with nursing procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedures manual and protocols.
- Makes rounds in infirmary a minimum of once per shift to ensure assessments are documented on the nursing infirmary flowsheet for all patients. Ensures that all physician orders have been implemented. Follows all infirmary SOP's. Ensures the infirmary log is up to date and accurate.
- Implements nutrition and therapeutic diet plan as ordered by physician.
- Follows facility procedures for documenting, obtaining and monitoring compliance for therapeutic diets.
- Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement, and on discharge in accordance with GDC SOP/LOP, nursing procedure manual and GDC/GCHC established protocols.
- Summarizes assessment data and make a triage decision which is documented/communicated to other patient care providers.
- Monitors and evaluates physical safety requirements of both patients and staff to ensure a safe working environment.
- Assists the DON, Medical Director and HSA in monitoring inpatient hospitalizations; reports and follows along with UM.
- Works closely with Utilization Management staff regarding patients in outside hospitals /agencies (when appropriate) to ensure a close working relationship between them, the correctional staff and GCHC.
- Identifies existing/potential problems and takes effective action. Develops/maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment/supplies, and makes recommendations to the HSA/DON/ Facility administrative staff.
- Must maintain current CPR and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement/ use of the AED (defibrillator).
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.
- Provides other services and performs other duties as assigned.
- Orients assigned personnel in accordance with SOP to include documentation of required training.
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal/informal means.
- Maintains mandated training hours as required by SOP.
- Completes CEUs per state licensing mandate.
- Attend all meetings, in-services and training activities.
- Reports directly to the Director of Nursing.
- Reports daily operational issues to DON, HSA and RM/CPC if not resolved.
Pay Grade: 18
Minimum Salary: $48,341 - $68,500.00
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: June 2, 2020 Until Filled
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
Conditions of Employment
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).