GCHC Lead Nurse - Grovetown, GA
Job Title: GCHC Lead Nurse - Grovetown, GA
Location: Augusta State Medical Prison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 217933
- Current GA RN License.
- Current BCLS certification. Must be from the American Heart Association or American Red Cross.
- Must qualify for and maintain security clearance from the Georgia Department of Corrections.
Three- to five years’ nursing experience, which include implementation and evaluation of healthcare systems and staff management.
Under the general direction of the HSA, RM, RNM or assigned, DON, and Medical Director directs/supervises nursing and ancillary medical services at the assigned unit or facility. Manages and evaluates program activities to assure optimal care is provided. Directs procurement of supplies and equipment. Implements all contractually required services. Directs assignments and activities of healthcare staff. Monitors CQI programs as they relate to patient care. Responsible for assigned clinical and administrative duties for the medical unit under the direction of the Regional HSA and Regional Nurse Manager.
- Utilizes established departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgment in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position
- Assists in the supervision of inmate orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and reporting on/off duty and quality of work.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors
- Responsible for the organization of various facility disciplines to analyze problems and initiate effective solutions.
- Follows standards set forth in GDC/GCHC code of conduct and ethics statements. ¿Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits and ensures peer review is conducted quarterly.
- Reviews 10 records per month from Nursing Sick Call for all newly hired Nursing staff, tapering to quarterly. Records the reviews on the Health Service Review Log. Review feedback with appropriate nursing staff and have them date/sign Review Log.
- Participates on the CQI Committee. Suggests areas to be studied by the committee. Follows the on-track guide and randomly audits the functional areas as needed. Reports findings to the CQI Committee .Submits written report to the Regional Manager
- Maintains audit readiness for audits. Monitors all audit systems/function logs and ensures compliance with GCHC/GDC SOPs. Assists as scheduled/requested in regional reviews with the CPC
- Completes Corrective Action Planning and any required follow up training/studies as needed.
- Reports directly to the H.S.A at a minimum of weekly, and prepares reports as requested. Discusses clinical issues with a clinical provider at a minimum of weekly.
- If the facility has a MH Program, meet with MH Director at a minimum of weekly to address MH nursing issues and maintain open lines of communications.
- Reports to the Regional HSA & Regional Nurse Manager on regular basis in order to address issues of system functionality, staffing, corrective actions, mission changes, changes in procedural practices, policy issues, nursing issues and employee disciplinary actions
- Functions as a role model for nursing staff by being tactful and diplomatic at all times; Mentors and provides leadership for nursing staff.
- Assists in developing, revising, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with the policies, procedures, goals, and philosophy of GCHC
- Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies, procedures, operational issues, personnel matters, clinical concerns, in-services, unresolved problems, etc.) to supervisor and supervised personnel.
- Ensures adequate staff coverage at all times for assigned institution(s) to include LPN/CNA/CMA supervision. Develops and posts schedule at a minimum of 15 days prior to the first of the month. .Submits copy of facility schedule to RNM.
- Establishes work schedules; assigns and posts daily duties for nursing staff.
- Returns to the facility to assist with duties or emergencies as needed
- Recruits, interviews, and hires new employees to fill staff vacancies. Follows all GCHC hiring guidelines
- Supervises and evaluates work performance of staff in accordance with GCHC policy and procedures. Provides guidance as needed.
- Completes a written annual evaluation on all supervised employees. Completes six-month probationary evaluation on new employees
- Counsels, disciplines, suspend and/or terminate employees who violate policies established by GCHC, the Department of Corrections or the State Nursing Act.
- Supervises a variety of personnel actions to include, but not limited to, hiring, merit recommendations, promotions, transfers, vacation schedules, sick leave and disciplinary actions.
- Validates all nursing licenses with the Board of Nursing Website (www.sos.state.ga.us/plb/) to ensure there has been no action taken against the license and all licensed nursing staff have current license twice per year (March and September) for all new hires and current staff
- Immediately notifies the RM/RNM of any restrictions placed on a nursing license who will in turn report to the Director of Nursing Services and HR Director for GCHC. For candidates to fill nursing positions with restricted licensure, must obtain approval of the RM/RNM and Director of Nursing Services. No candidate with restrictions can be hired without approval
- Monitors and reports use of overtime, agency and PRN staff.
- Ensures all required documents are maintained in personnel files.
- Completes payroll duties and submits accurate payroll reports as required.
- Accountable for maintaining confidential personnel information as well as budgetary information.
- Assists in selection, provision and control of material resources, to include: evaluating the quality of the materials; following set standards for the required quantities of supplies/equipment; adhering to established procedures to prevent misuse/improper care of materials and equipment.
- Reviews/approves all requisitions and purchases via purchase order system.
- When applicable, assists in recruiting contracted professional providers (physicians, dentists, psychologists, etc.).
- Conducts monthly nursing staff meetings and maintains the meeting minute
- Evaluates and recommends methods of improving operational efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- Works shifts as needed during periods of short staffing. Performs within the normal limits of State Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses policies and procedures, GCHC facility policies / procedures, and standards.
- Ensures referral process to appropriate providers is in place and functions as required by policy.
- Consults and communicates as necessary, any patient information with nurses, physicians, clinical associates, correctional officers, non-clinical staff, supervisors and department heads etc. Reports inmates with special or extraordinary medical problems to the HSA/DON/Facility Administrative staff.
- Assesses physical/psychological/social dimensions of patient and implements individual treatment program in the health care unit or, as necessary, in the housing units as ordered by the physician, clinical associate, appropriate therapist, etc.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in obtaining a health history, planning care and patient teaching.
- Intervenes with proper technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.
- Implements proper techniques/procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedure manual/designated protocols and available resources.
- Ensures that physician's orders are implemented and transcribed in a timely manner in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOPs.
- Ensures nursing staff administers medication according to proper techniques/ procedures (including IV therapy and all other approved routes of administration) using the formulary and documenting administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient and medical record
- Ensures nursing staff document all patient encounters, utilizing problem oriented medical records system SOAP format as required by GDC policy.
- Legibly completes all mandated logs in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as directed.
- Assists Advanced Level Providers as needed.
- Completes required shift report before leaving medical unit
- Ensures nursing staff maintain compliance with all mandated logs/checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled drugs. Does not leave shift until counts cleared and logs are signed. Report discrepancies to facility Administration, RNM, Regional Pharmacist and GCHC Pharmacy Director.
- Utilizes pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in administering medications
- Documents non-adherence counseling for medications in accordance with SOP.
- Performs venipuncture, draw labs, collect specimens and ensure proper infection control standards are maintained.
- Prepare sand protects specimens for transport. Ensure all biohazard waste is properly secured, stored, and disposed of within the facility.
- Completes all lab scheduling activities such as data entry, requisition completion, results distribution to the medical records department for inclusion in inmate’s medical charts, maintaining lab tracking log.
- Ensures nursing staff properly disposes of all needles/syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies/procedures and GDC security requirements. .Ensures all staff use mandated available safety devices.
- Supervises and coordinates all Mental Health nursing activities with the MH/MR manager.
- Monitors the urgent/emergent log on all scheduled work days; ensures all appropriate patients returning from outside services (ER, Hospital, Infirmaries, etc.) are referred and seen by the ALP as required by GDC/GCHC policies.
- Responds to Codes and emergencies in a timely manner.
- Conducts quarterly emergency drills as required by SOP.
- Reviews status of inmates with serious health problems, ensuring all necessary intervention/treatment is completed.
- Ensures the provision of good quality patient care services in accordance with established standards of basic health care and SOPs. Ensures compliance with nursing procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedures manual and protocols.
- Makes rounds in infirmary a minimum of once per shift and records assessment on the nursing infirmary flowsheet on all patients. Implements all physician orders. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on a periodic basis; charts and reports problems to supervisor. Follows all infirmary SOPs. Maintains infirmary log
- Implements nutrition and therapeutic diet plan as ordered by physician.
- Follows facility procedures for documenting, obtaining and monitoring compliance for therapeutic diets.
- Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement, and on discharge in accordance with GDC SOP/LOP, nursing procedure manual and GDC/GCHC established protocols.
- Summarizes assessment data and make a triage decision which is documented/communicated to other patient care providers.
- Monitors and evaluates physical safety requirements of both patients and staff to ensure a safe working environment.
- Assists the Medical Director and HSA in monitoring inpatient hospitalizations; reports and follows along with UM.
- Works closely with Utilization Management staff regarding patients in outside hospitals /agencies (when appropriate) to ensure a close working relationship between them, the correctional staff and GCHC.
- Identifies existing/potential problems and takes effective action. Develops/maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment/supplies, and makes recommendations to the HSA/DON/ Facility administrative staff
- Must maintain current CPR and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement/ use of the AED (defibrillator). Must ensure all licensed staff maintains current CPR and hard copy of card is in the staff development manual.
- Oversees services rendered by contractors and professional staff, ensures weekly submissions of all required service logs
- Maintains cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.
- Orients all new nursing personnel in accordance with SOP to include documentation of required training.
- Coordinates/schedules all nursing training activities. Maintains training records on all staff in accordance with GCHC/GDC SOPs. Ensures all licensed staff maintains BCLS certification.
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal/informal means. Meets minimum training hours as required by SOP. Maintains current CEUs as required by state license requirements.
- Attends all meetings, in-services and training activities. Reporting
- Communicates to Regional Nurse Manager immediately any nursing restrictions identified or reported by staff during
- Reports inmate/probationer deaths to the Regional Nurse Manager.
- Reports all staff safety issues or staff assaults to the Regional Nurse Manager and Regional Manager as soon as possible
- Reports daily operational issues to HSA/DON, if assigned, and RM/RNM if not resolved.
- Reviews Augusta University Performance Appraisals with signature and date.
- Reviews job descriptions with supervised staff and documents this with signature/ date yearly
- Completes Nursing Skills Checklist yearly.
- Provides AED training twice yearly.
- Confirms Nursing Licensure twice yearly
- Completes all training as noted on GCHC Training Grid document.
- Other duties as assigned
Correctional health care, one of the fastest growing health services in the nation, offers fulfilling roles in a variety of settings. As an employee of Georgia Correctional HealthCare, you will have not just another job, but rather a mission! With your passion, you will take a leading role in achieving our mission to provide quality health care to the state’s inmate population. You’ll meet new challenges! But the rewards of making such a significant difference in people’s lives will make those challenges worthwhile.
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is the division of the Georgia Regents University that provides high quality healthcare to over 60 Georgia Department of Correction facilities state wide. Since 1997, GCHC has prided itself on delivering a high level of quality care while controlling the spiraling costs associated with inmate healthcare.
GCHC AAEEO/Condition Statement
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).
Pay Grade: 18
Minimum Salary: $28.00/hr
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: February 3, 2020 until filled