GCHC Staff Nurse( Mental Health) - Oglethorpe, GA
Job Title: GCHC Staff Nurse( Mental Health) - Oglethorpe, GA
Location: Macon State Prison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 216789
- Has a current RN license for the State of Georgia.
- Have current BCLS certification.
- Good physical and mental health; able to work under pressure; relate well to patients, security staff, visitors and co-workers.
- Prefer one years of experience in psychiatric/addition disorders treatment.
- Functions within the Georgia Broad of Nursing Practice Act.
Responsible for the delivery of Mental Health patients care through the nursing process of assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation. Also, directs and guides patient teaching, nursing activities, and ancillary personnel while maintaining standards of professional nursing. Determination of duties and responsibilities associated with the mental health team, and supervision of the Mental Health Coordinator.
- Routine triages the health complaints of mental health inmates and makes appropriate nursing judgements. Refers to the advanced level provider when clinically indicated.
- Delivers direct nursing services to the Mentally Disordered/Mentally Retarded patients in the supportive living units.
- Assesses physical, psychological, and social dimensions of patients within the mental health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.
- Initiates and assists with restraints in compliance with the applicable policies. In collaboration with custody staff, assists as needed with feeding, toileting, and providing liquids for patients restrained in the infirmary.
- Monitors medication compliance for patients on psychotropic and other prescribed medications, provides counseling to patients and reports non-compliance to the prescribing physician and other members of the medical and mental health team.
- Routinely attends medical nursing staff meetings. Acts as liaison between the medical and mental health team.
- Serves as a back up for physical health care staff as needed for emergency coverage of the medical/infirmary unit.
- Provides in-services on mental health issues to the health care staff as requested.
- Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement, and on discharge in accordance with GDC SOP/LOP.
- Plans an individual treatment program.
- Utilizes available nursing treatment protocols.
- Utilizes referral process to appropriate providers as necessary.
- Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in planning care and patient teaching.
- Intervenes with proper technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.
- Utilizes pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in administering medications.
- Implements treatment plans as ordered by the psychiatrist and Mental Health Team
- Documents nursing encounters, utilizing the SOAP form of charting as required.
- Legibly completes all mandated logs in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP.
- Communicates information to other nursing staff, physicians, clinical associates, non-clinical staff, supervisors, correctional officers and department heads.
- Respects the dignity and confidentiality of patients and medical records.
- Transcribes orders in a timely manner and in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP'S.
- Completes required shift report before leaving the unit.
- Maintains compliance with all mandated logs and checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled medication. Does not leave unit until counts cleared and logs signed. Notifies supervisor immediately of inaccurate counts.
- Makes sure that psychiatrist orders are implemented.
- Makes rounds in Crisis Stabilization unit a minimum of once per shift and records nurse's notes on all inmates. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on a periodic basis; charts and reports problems to supervisor. Follows all GDC/GCHC SOP's.
- Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Documents administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.
- Properly disposes of all needles / syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies and procedures.
- Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as directed.
- Responds to Codes and emergencies in a timely manner.
- Fills in as scheduled when short staffed.
- Required to maintain cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.
- Provides leadership and mentoring to mental health nursing staff.
- Must be proficient in CPR and recognize need to implement it.
- Must be proficient in the use of the AED (defibrillator) and recognize need to implement it.
- All other clinical duties as assigned.
Mental Health Related Responsibilities
- Serves as an active member of the mental health team, attending debriefing and treatment team meetings.
- Assists in the development of individual treatment plans of reach MH/MR patient. Documents implementation and response to the treatment plan in the medical/mental health record. Provides feedback regarding individual patients and group dynamics to the mental health team.
- Facilitates therapeutic groups on specific medically/therapeutic oriented subjects. Provides health education to the mental health populations.
- Monitors the implementation of medication and laboratory tests, and seclusion and/or restraint orders for the mental health population.
- Routinely conducts AIMS scales for patients on psychotropic medications, documents results in the appropriate record.
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs. Normal bending, reaching, stooping. Standing and sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move quickly across the compound in cases of emergency. Normal levels of hearing and seeing with, if necessary, with corrective appliances.
- Attends medical and mental health inservices as requested
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal and informal means.
- Attends scheduled Mental Health Nurse’s workshops
- Provides in-services on medical issues to the mental health team as requested.
- Attend all meetings, in-services, and training activities.
- Reports all training activities to the DON.
- Accepts staffing assignments and performs other related duties as required or assigned by the DON. Performs within the normal limits of State Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses policies and procedures, GCHC facility policies / procedures, and standards.
- Maintain a professional attitude and behavior at all times.
- Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.
- Adheres to all security regulations.
- Responds appropriately to supervisors, co-workers, and security personnel.
- Assist in training new personnel.
- Follows chain of command for problem resolution.
- Wears professional and appropriate uniform to designate status as member of health care team.
- Assists in the supervision of inmate orderly workers, noting activities, following directives, and reporting on/off duty and quality of work.
- Works as scheduled and follows GCHC's policies for leave.
- Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors.
- Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits.
- All other duties as assigned
Correctional health care, one of the fastest growing health services in the nation, offers fulfilling roles in a variety of settings. As an employee of Georgia Correctional HealthCare, you will have not just another job, but rather a mission! With your passion, you will take a leading role in achieving our mission to provide quality health care to the state’s inmate population. You’ll meet new challenges! But the rewards of making such a significant difference in people’s lives will make those challenges worthwhile.
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is the division of the Georgia Regents University that provides high quality healthcare to over 60 Georgia Department of Correction facilities state wide. Since 1997, GCHC has prided itself on delivering a high level of quality care while controlling the spiraling costs associated with inmate healthcare.
GCHC AAEEO/Condition Statement
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).
Pay Grade: 17
Minimum Salary: $28.00/hr
Salary to be commensurate with qualifications of selected candidate within the established range (generally minimum-midpoint) of the position
Recruitment Period: July 30, 2019 until filled