GCHC Staff Nurse - Jackson, GA
Job Title: GCHC Staff Nurse - Jackson, GA
Location: Georgia Diag & Class Cnt
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 216659
- Licensed as an R.N. in the State of Georgia. Prefer Two years clinical experience. Functions within the Georgia Board of Nursing Nurse Practice Act.BCLS Certified.Must be able to lift 50lbs. Normal bending, reaching, stooping. Standing and sitting for long periods of time. Must be able to move quickly across the compound in cases of emergency. Normal levels of hearing and seeing, if necessary, with corrective appliances.Security clearance by the Georgia Department of Corrections.
- Reports directly to the DON to discuss clinical issues.Maintains a professional attitude and dress at all times in accordance with GCHC / GDC dress code policy.Works as scheduled and adheres to GCHC policies for leave, timekeeping and call ins.Maintains a good working relationship / responds appropriately with correctional and health care staff, contract providers, outside agencies within the facility.Utilizes estabsished departmental policies and procedures in making decisions; uses sound independent judgement in meeting responsibilities and performing duties of the position.Adheres to HIPAA Regulations and maintains all patient confidentiality as required by Law and GDC/GCHC Policy.Does not fraternize with inmates beyond professional contact.Follows chain of command for problem resolution.Adheres to all security regulations and reports any security concerns to immediate supervisor.Clinical:Assesses physical, psychological, and social dimensions of patients within the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units.Applies knowledge of available resources in obtaining a health history and in the assessment process.Provides a written assessment of patient on admission, during confinement, and on discharge in accordance with GDC SOP/LOP.Summarizes assessment data and makes a triage decision which is documented and communicated to other patient care providers.Plans an individual treatment program.Utilizes approved nursing treatment protocols.Utilizes referral process to appropriate providers as required by policy.Applies knowledge and utilizes available resources in planning care and patient teaching.Consults and communicates as necessary, any patient information with nurses, physicians, clinical associates, correctional officers, non-clinical staff, supervisors and department heads etc. Reports inmates with special or extraordinary medical problems to the HSA or designee.Implements individual treatment program in the health care unit and, as necessary, in the housing units as ordered by the physician, clinical associate or appropriate therapist.Intervenes with proper technique, procedures and safety precautions to meet the individual needs of patients.Administers medication according to proper techniques and procedures, including IV therapy and all other approved routes of administration.Utilizes pharmacology knowledge and available resources to include drug reaction and overdose in administering medications.Implements proper techniques / procedures in accordance with GDC/GCHC approved nursing procedure manual/designated protocols and available resources.Implements nutrition and therapeutic diet plan as ordered by physician.Follows facility procedures for documenting, obtaining and monitoring compliance for therapeutic diets.Documents nursing encounters, utilizing the SOAP form of charting as required.Legibly completes all mandated logs in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP.Transcribes orders in a timely manner and in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP'S.Completes required shift report before leaving the unit.Maintains compliance with all mandated logs and checks for medication, syringe, tools and controlled medication. Does not leave shift until counts cleared and logs signed. Notifies supervisor immediately of any inaccurate counts or missing medications.Makes sure that physician's orders are implemented. Uses problem oriented medical records system to chart using SOAP format.Makes rounds in infirmary a minimum of once per shift and records nurse's notes on all inmates. Evaluates symptoms, reactions, and progress of patients on a periodic basis; charts and reports problems to supervisor. Follows all infirmary SOP's. Maintains infirmary log.Ensures that prescribed medications are administered as ordered using the formulary. Documents administration of medication on the MAR in accordance with GDC/GCHC SOP at time of administration.Documents non-adherence counseling for medications in accordance with SOP.Properly disposes of all needles / syringes in accordance with Infection Control policies / procedures and GC security requirements.Prepares regularly scheduled reports and special reports as directed.Performs venipuncture and all associated lab duties such as scheduling, data entry , etc as needed.Responds to Codes and emergencies in a timely manner.Fills in as scheduled when short staffed.Required to maintain cleanliness of work areas and re-stock as needed.Provides leadership and mentoring to nursing staff.Must maintain current CPR and be proficient in recognizing the need to implement/ use of the AED (defibrillator).
- Performs within the normal limits of State Practice Act, Code of Ethics for Nurses policies and procedures, GCHC facility policies / procedures, and standards.Ensures accountability with all control substances and sharps. Report discrepancies to facility Administration, Regional Pharmacist and GCHC Pharmacy Director.
- Requests training to meet identified needs through in-service attendance and other formal and informal means.Identifies existing and potential problems and takes effective action. Develops and maintains an awareness of needed improvements in patient care, procedures, equipment and supplies, and makes recommendations to supervisors.Promotes quality assurance standards by participating in the CQI chart audits.
- Provides other services and performs other duties as assigned.Training:
- Assist in training new personnel.Attend all meetings, in-services and training activities.Reporting:Reports all staff safety issue to the Director of Nursing as soon as possible.
Minimum Salary $28.00/hour
Salary to commensurate with qualifications and experience of candidate
Pay Grade: 17
Recruitment Period: July 17, 2019, until filled
GCHC AAEEO/CONDITION STATEMENT
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is a Division of Augusta University. We are an equal employment, equal access, and equal educational opportunity and affirmative action institution. Also, Augusta University is a federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans. It is the policy of the University to recruit, hire, train, promote and educate persons without regard to age, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation or veteran status.
All candidates are to complete and successfully pass Pre-Employment requirements. This includes a Criminal History Record Release (and when applicable, a Physical Examination and Drug Screen).
Correctional health care, one of the fastest growing health services in the nation, offers fulfilling roles in a variety of settings. As an employee of Georgia Correctional HealthCare, you will have not just another job, but rather a mission! With your passion, you will take a leading role in achieving our mission to provide quality health care to the state’s inmate population. You’ll meet new challenges! But the rewards of making such a significant difference in people’s lives will make those challenges worthwhile.
Georgia Correctional HealthCare (GCHC) is the division of the Georgia Regents University that provides high quality healthcare to over 60 Georgia Department of Correction facilities state wide. Since 1997, GCHC has prided itself on delivering a high level of quality care while controlling the spiraling costs associated with inmate healthcare.
This position is also responsible for promoting a customer friendly environment and providing superior service to our patients, students, faculty, and employees. "Augusta University is a patient-and family-centered care institution, where employees partner everyday with patients and families for success."
Augusta University is a tobacco free environment and the use of any tobacco products on any part of the campus, both inside and outside, is strictly prohibited.