Director of the Center for Student Success
Date: November 23, 2020
Title: Director of the Center for Student Success
Description: Reporting to the Assistant Vice President for Student Success, the Director of the Center for Student Success manages the operations of the Center for Student Success; ensures the effectiveness of academic advising, academic support and accessibility; supervises CSS staff; The Director works collaboratively with College leadership, faculty, staff, and students to build and sustain a culture of care and academic success at Hartwick College.
- Leads the Center for Student Success (CSS):
- Supervises Director of Academic Support, Associate Director of Academic & Pre-professional Advising, Director of AccessAbility Services, Coordinator of CSS Operations.
- Provides strategic direction, leadership, and management for the Center for Student Success;
- Supervises and promotes the professional development of CSS staff;
- Oversees daily operations to ensure that tutoring, learning support services, early alert, academic probation, exit interviews, AccessAbility Services and other CSS programs are functioning at the highest level of effectiveness;
- Supervises the Associate Director of Academic and Pre-Professional Advising and assures the effectiveness of general faculty academic advising through professional development, evaluation, and assessment.
- Assists in College-wide retention, persistence, and academic achievement efforts:
- Directs the planning and delivery of the academic components of the first year experience including, advising and other academic programming during orientation, new student course scheduling process, etc.;
- Serves on the CARE committee and other committees as assigned;
- Consults and collaborates with staff and faculty to promote a College-wide approach to student persistence and success;
- Provides reports on student retention and success to the Senior Vice President for Enrollment and Student Success, the President and as appropriate the campus community;
- Advises the Senior Vice President of Enrollment & Student Success and AVP for Student Success on matters related to student success;
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Senior VP of Enrollment and Student Success
- and AVP for Student Success.
- It is expected that the director will be active in the lives of our students with participation and attendance at campus events and activities like but not limited to plays, lectures, concerts, athletic events, etc.
- The director will participate in all campus events like Commencement, True Blue Weekend, WickWeek, Student Showcase, Honors Convocation, Admissions events, Welcome Weekend, etc.
- Comply with all applicable College, Federal, State, local and associational laws, rules and regulations.
- As a representative of the College, comport oneself in a professional manner at all times, both on and off campus.
Qualifications: Minimum requirements are a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, but master’s degree is preferred, with a minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience in student support, teaching, administration, etc.
- Strong understanding of student development theory and practice in retention and student success, including learning support services, student orientation, tutoring and supplemental instruction, academic advising and coaching, student success programming, academic probation services, etc.;
- Ability to work with and energize diverse constituencies and programs from across campus to support institutional goals;
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing to a broad constituency, including administrators, faculty, staff, students, and parents;
- Knowledge of, and demonstrated ability in, higher education academic administration, including working familiarity with the range of activities typically undertaken in an Office of Student Success;
- Strong leadership, supervision and personnel management skills and a working knowledge of effective decision-making techniques;
- Ability to manage complex tasks effectively, including exceptional attention to detail, organization, timeliness, and follow through;
- Excellent interpersonal skills enabling successful functioning in a team environment;
- Strong capability to leverage computers and other information technologies in support of assessment, retention, and other data analysis tasks;
- Ability to demonstrate a personal philosophy of care for others;
- Ability to value diversity and work with those from different backgrounds;
- Commitment to supporting students in their work.
To apply for the Director of the Center for Student Success position, please click here. All applicants are asked to submit the following materials with their online applications:
- A cover letter;
- A resume;
- A Diversity Statement that addresses how your past and/or potential contributions to diversity will support Hartwick College’s Diversity Statement (https://www.hartwick.edu/campus-life/intercultural-affairs/diversity-at-hartwick/); and
- The names and contact information for three references, with annotation regarding how the reference is related to you and your work (at least one of your references must be from a current and/or previous supervisor).
Applications may also be mailed to the Office of Human Resources, Hartwick College, P.O. Box 4020, Oneonta, NY 13820. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.