Full Stack Engineer
DescriptionThe Advancement operation provides the management and coordination of the back office functions to support the campus-based fundraising field staff. These include research, marketing and communications, gift processing, data base management, estate gift planning, and other services. These central services produce economies of scale by eliminating the need for these back office functions to be duplicated on each of the four campuses. They also place the institution in an optimal position to attract substantial support from the philanthropic sector.As part of Digital Engagement, the Full Stack Engineer will join a small and eclectic team of creators, developers, strategists and evangelists whose mission is to drive and support adoption of modern, sophisticated digital technologies and strategies for CU’s engagement and fundraising efforts.Position Summary
The Full Stack Engineer supports application development for digital marketing initiatives within the University of Colorado (CU) Office of Advancement. The Full Stack Engineer works alongside a senior-level full stack engineer, who provides guidance and direction in day-to-day work. Together with the rest of the team, both this position and the senior engineer collaborate across multiple functional areas to help bring Advancement’s marketing initiatives to life across all digital channels, including CU’s online giving applications and Salesforce-based engagement platforms.A successful candidate will possess an innate aptitude for self-learning and thrive in a role that provides a high level of autonomy. With direct guidance from a senior-level developer and the Director, they will gain a breadth of experience working on cutting-edge tech stacks and will be given a large amount of freedom to develop and implement their own ideas and solutions.This position will be remote, and so successful candidates will also be comfortable with and capable of collaborating and completing all assigned work outside of a traditional office environment. While some flexibility may be allowed, they also must generally be available and working during the university’s regular hours of operation, which are Monday-Friday from 8:00am to 5:00pm MST/MDT.This position reports to the Director of Digital Engagement and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff System.Duties and Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
- Under the direction of the Director and in conjunction with the senior Full Stack Engineer, develop, test, implement, and maintain new web applications and features using a full suite of front-end, back-end, database, hosting, and deployment tools.
- Extend functionality of existing tools and applications.
- Collaborate on special web, email, text, and social marketing projects for CU Advancement and the CU Foundation, working with internal partners and external vendors as necessary.
- Support the internal and third-party platforms, services, and integrations that Digital Engagement manages (e.g. Heroku, Salesforce, Marketing Cloud Google Analytics, Authorize.net).
- Work in an agile-like manner, posting daily standups and using a combination of Kanban and Scrum methodologies (depending on the project).
- Use Git to push up code frequently, create pull requests, and write detailed issues.
- Write sensible tests (i.e. not strict test-driven development [TDD], but most pull requests should include at least one test).
- Document work to accompany any non-trivial code changes.
- Use technologies like Slack, Email, Zoom and GitHub to collaborate, plan, and execute on projects and assigned tasks.
- Work as part of the team, be respectful, and never be afraid to ask questions or request assistance.
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
To be successful in this position, candidates will need the following:
- Knowledge of web/visual design and user experience best practices
- Knowledge of basic domain name system (DNS) and network management.
- Knowledge of React and component-based design, including the use of common frameworks, libraries, and tools (e.g. Theme UI, Storybook, Framer Motion, react-hook-form, Next.js, Gatsby, Recoil).
- Strong writing skills and a demonstrated ability to clearly and succinctly explain technical solutions to your peers.
- Critical thinking skills, including the ability to identify problems, questions, and assumptions; establish significance; and understand logical connections between ideas
- Creative skills, including the ability to ask questions, generate new ideas, experiment, make observations, and develop connections between disparate concepts
- Analytical and problem-solving skills, including the ability to examine and summarize data and trends in order to resolve issues and produce results
- Ability to utilize Git and deployment of applications to development, staging, and production environments.
- Ability to integrate services to support and extend applications (e.g. media management, file storage, analytics, search, authentication, logging, caching).
- Ability to build simple application programming interfaces (APIs) and micro-services
- Ability to maintain awareness of security concerns and related coding and deployment standards.
- Ability to work collaboratively with clients, partners, and vendors and clearly articulate technical concepts to peers with varying ranges of technical literacy.
- Ability to work in a small development team under tight deadlines, using personal ingenuity and compromising where necessary to arrive at the best solution possible.
- Ability to contribute to open-source projects.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or equivalent professional experience (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis)
- One year of experience in web/application programming and development, which must include:
- Experience using React and component-based design
- Experience with databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Experience developing or working with APIs, micro-services, and service integrations
- Use of Git and deployment pipelines (i.e. dev, staging and production environments)
- Two (2) years’ experience in web/application programming and development, as indicated above
- Experience using one or more of the following platforms and applications
- Golang and GraphQL.
- GitHub with GitFlow methodology and/or GitHub Action workflows.
- Heroku or similar platform as a service (PaaS) for development and hosting.
- Experience with Salesforce development, which may include writing functional tests, Apex code, Lightning Web Components, or using React within Visualforce pages/components.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Dec 22, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing