Oracle and SQL Server DBA (0597U) - 13978
Oracle and SQL Server DBA (0597U) - 13978 About Berkeley
At the University of California, Berkeley, we are committed to creating a community that fosters equity of experience and opportunity, and ensures that students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds feel safe, welcome and included. Our culture of openness, freedom and belonging make it a special place for students, faculty and staff.
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world's leading institutions of higher education, distinguished by its combination of internationally recognized academic and research excellence; the transformative opportunity it provides to a large and diverse student body; its public mission and commitment to equity and social justice; and its roots in the California experience, animated by such values as innovation, questioning the status quo, and respect for the environment and nature. Since its founding in 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world.
We are looking for equity-minded applicants who represent the full diversity of California and who demonstrate a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds present in our community. When you join the team at Berkeley, you can expect to be part of an inclusive, innovative and equity-focused community that approaches higher education as a matter of social justice that requires broad collaboration among faculty, staff, students and community partners. In deciding whether to apply for a position at Berkeley, you are strongly encouraged to consider whether your values align with our Guiding Values and Principles, our Principles of Community, and our Strategic Plan.
The Office of the CIO and Information Services & Technology (OCIO/IST) believe in and foster a workplace environment where people can bring their diverse skills, perspectives and experiences toward achieving our goals through a process of critical inquiry, discovery, innovation, while simultaneously committing to making positive contributions towards the betterment of our world.
In addition, members of the OCIO/IST community have created and endorse the following values for our organization to augment and amplify the campus principles:
We champion diversity.
We act with integrity.
Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging are more than just suggestions for us. They are the guiding principles underlying how we come together, develop leaders at all levels of the organization, and create an environment that unites us. We affirm the dignity of all individuals, call upon our leaders to address critical issues with integrity and intention, respect our differences as well as our commonalities, and strive to uphold a just community free from discrimination and hate.
Database Upgrades & Patches:
- Analyze and recommend when patching is needed. Consult with application programmers and managers of other organizations to plan, schedule and implement RDBMS patches and upgrades.
- Communicate when support for current versions will expire and plan for upgrades with leadership and customers. Evaluate and test new functionality and communicate to customers in presentations or demonstrations. Lead efforts to develop and document standards and implement upgrades for identified databases.
Database Installation & Design:
- Install, test, and deploy the RDBMS software with minimal interruption to services. Develop and document standards for creating instances with the initialization parameters and database structures that represent database best practices.
- Recommend, document and implement database-specific policies, procedures and design standards.
- Database Monitoring:
- Oversee that standard baseline monitoring is documented, setup and consistently deployed on all databases.
- Utilize monitoring software or develop database administration scripts.
- Automate and continuously improve monitoring of databases for the efficiency of the team.
- Maintain databases for optimum performance (updating statistics, reorganizations).
- Change Management:
- On Call Support & Troubleshooting:
- Utilize database best practices in implementing customer change requests.
- Work with application developers, system administrators, network administrators and vendors to troubleshoot and resolve issues to minimize downtime.
- Provide 24 hour support for database issues when on-call.
- Lead cross-functional teams to resolve complex issues.
- Follow-up and make improvements to reduce potential for outages.
- Strive to meet service level agreements on tickets.
- Database Backup & Recovery:
- Develop and maintain database backup and recovery procedures.
- Perform, evaluate and improve recovery procedures through testing of disaster recovery scenarios.
- Monitor the performance of databases and proactively identify issues that may occur and tune.
- Regularly review performance reports and SQL / physical database tuning opportunities with application and DBA teams.
- Utilize advanced performance tuning skills to work on critical or difficult issues.
- Develop and maintain database level security in all database environments.
- Ensure proper authorization procedures are followed for database accounts and permissions.
- Knowledgeable of data policy and laws.
- Continuously research and improve servers, firewalls, network and database to ensure security best practices are documented and followed with emphasis on database security.
- Develop, document and implement security guidelines and mechanisms for databases.
Consulting & Projects:
- Consulting, Tech Lead & Mentor:
- Provide database consulting and technical guidance to the campus.
- Represent IST on campus committees or projects.
- Provide guidelines and best practices for optimum database performance to developers.
- Keep abreast of new database and programming techniques to optimize database performance and function.
- Mentor other DBAs and cross-functional technical staff.
- Project Management:
- Project management skills to facilitate the delivery of applications / technical modifications through managing scope, project plan development and maintenance and communication for cross-functional groups.
Capacity Planning & Architecture:
- Capacity Planning:
- Monitor, forecast and communicate with Storage and System Administration teams to ensure future storage and hardware needs are available.
- Research, evaluate and make database design recommendations.
- Develop database strategies and project proposals through an authoritative understanding of technology trends within the industry.
- Provide status updates on projects, attend team, IS and IST meetings and track time spent on projects for activity based costing.
- Lead or supervise a team of DBAs.
- Professional Development and Training.
- Minimum 3 year experience as a production DBA with on-call support for one of the IST supported database platforms (Oracle, SQLServer, MySQL, PosgtreSQL).
- A thorough knowledge of the RDBMS's internal architecture is preferred including in-depth knowledge of advanced features.
- Experience as DBA or DBA developer.
- Minimum 3 years extensive in-depth experience with the IST database platform operating systems (Unix/Linux and/or Windows).
- Thorough knowledge of SQL is preferred for the incumbent to perform complex analysis.
- Extensive experience with scripting (Rexx, Unix Shell, PERL or similar).
- Excellent documentation skills.
- This position will require after hours and weekend on-call coverage.
- Must have effective interpersonal and written/verbal communication skills.
- Must demonstrate technical leadership and project management skills which include the ability to negotiate and clearly communicate the scope of database projects, provide regular status reports and deliverables.
- Must be able to train technical customers and peers on database techniques.
- Prepares publications and presentations on technical concepts for campus-wide and/or industry groups.
- Self-guided and works in consultation with Supervisor and high level technical professionals to define systems design requirements and to implement complex systems.
- Must demonstrate good judgment and decision-making skills along with thorough troubleshooting skills for quick problem identification and resolution.
- Principal database support person for major systems.
- Will interact with vendors to resolve system problems.
- PeopleSoft application skills; Java, Ruby and/or web development skills; Multiple database platforms skills RDBMS, OS certifications.
- Bachelor's degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training bonus.
Salary & Benefits
This is an exempt, monthly paid position. Annual salary is commensurate with experience.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying. This position will remain open until filled.
This is a full-time, Career position.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status. For more information about your rights as an applicant see:
For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see:
To apply, visit https://careerspub.universityofcalifornia.edu/psp/ucb/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_APP_SCHJOB.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=21&JobOpeningId=13978&PostingSeq=1
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency