Copy Editor, Marketing & Communications
The Division of Marketing & Communications serves as a strategic advisor to partners and units across campus, purposefully fulfilling partners goals and objectives, helping to increase knowledge, support enrollment and engage students, alumni, faculty and staff. The division proactively shapes the University's brand and optimizes the University's reputation internally and externally in a transparent manner. In words, in pictures, online and in the news media, the Division of Marketing & Communications shares the many stories of how DU and its people are improving the human condition, for the purpose of advancing the University's strategies. The team specializes in brand management, strategic communication, community engagement, media relations, digital and social media strategy, website development, content training and strategy, print and online publications, and videography and photography.
As the Copy Editor, you will report in to the Director of Strategic Publications and be responsible for editing and proofreading Marketing & Communications-led written products including editing copy for Denver Magazine, social media, email newsletters, news stories, signage, talking points for video and other communications collateral. You must be an excellent writer and editor and be comfortable editing and proofing using a variety of different style guides. In addition to the above duties, we are looking for an editor who is skilled at translating English communications into Spanish.
You will collaborate closely with teammates throughout the Marketing & Communications department and with constituents in other departments across campus.
- Editing long and short form copy in English.
- Translating and editing long and short form copy in Spanish.
- Proofreading copy in English and Spanish.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent editing skills, impeccable grammar, and ability to edit and proofread specifically for a variety of platforms to support specific audiences.
- Proven ability to edit content for accuracy and completion and on deadline.
- Proven ability to translate content for accuracy and completion and on deadline.
- Demonstrated career success in copyediting with ability to interpret content/style and brand guidelines.
- Excellent written and spoken language skills and the ability to clearly communicate in both oral and written forms.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively and enthusiastically with others to achieve organizational goals.
- Must provide exceptional service to project stakeholders and constituents, including responding promptly to issues and challenges.
- Positive outlook and professional demeanor; tactful, diplomatic approach with the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, detail-driven environment.
- Exceptional writing skills, with a focus on editing.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Solid competency with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of professional experience editing and translating copy for a variety of platforms and formats.
- Fluency in Spanish.
- Multi-lingual with the ability to write/translate copy into Spanish and other languages.
- 5+ years of professional experience editing and translating copy for a variety of platforms and formats.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by 4:00 p.m. (MST) on Monday, January 11, 2021.
Candidates must apply online through jobs.du.edu to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
- Examples of style guides used in the course of your career
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, military/ veteran status or any other status protected by law.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.