Part-Time Skills Instructor, Emergency Medical Services
Job Title: Part-Time Skills Instructor, Emergency Medical Services
Full/Part Time: Part-Time
Job ID: 33986
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance.Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-Montgomery
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, was named a 2017 Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College–Montgomery, the premiere student-centered educational institution in Montgomery County, serves The Woodlands and Conroe communities. LSC–Montgomery provides a relaxing and conducive learning atmosphere while offering leisure learning opportunities, individual classes, and unique programs such as radiologic technology, physical therapy, and biotechnology.
Campus address is 3200 College Park Drive, Conroe, TX 77384.Job Description
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Part time EMS Skills Instructors work with Faculty/Instructors to provide students with hands-on experience in a controlled laboratory environment. Assists Faculty/Instructors in providing learning activities and support that will lead to the achievement of course objectives. Primary responsibility is to assist in teaching course material within the curriculum in a manner that facilitates student learning.
Skills Instructors are hired on an as-needed basis, and may not work more than 19 hours per week. Schedule may include days or evenings with occasional weekends as assigned, depending on the needs of the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Mentors and teaches EMSP students while in the clinical environment
- Acts as a liaison between the clinical site's staff and the student
- Notifies the EMSP Director of incidents in the clinical environment
- Provides regular reports of student progress
- Acts as an ambassador of the EMSP program with the clinical site and students
- Compiles paperwork as deemed necessary by the EMSP program to include time sheets, evaluation of clinical sites, program evaluations, and evaluations of the students
- May also perform duties of classroom and laboratory skills instructor
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Broad knowledge of EMS sciences, successfully handling of day-to-day operations
- Must be able to perform and demonstrate all skills required to pass the EMS National Registry examination
- Ability to mentor students in the lab setting
- Ability to work independently without close supervision
- Position requires frequent lifting of equipment – may include above the head; ability to lift and carry 100 pounds;
- Position requires frequent standing for long periods of time;
- Physical abilities to carry out duties as an EMS professional including:
- having a concept of time and being able to record seconds, minutes, and hours from a watch or clock;
- reading, writing, conversing, and comprehending in fluent English;
- listening to an individual speak through a radio and be able to respond in an audible and intelligible manner;
- listening through a stethoscope for breath sounds and blood pressure readings;
- walking and working in small spaces, various weather conditions, and various physical environments;
- having the tactile and visual ability sufficient for physical assessment;
- manipulating and handling equipment such as a stretcher from floor to a height of 80 inches.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment as well as all equipment generally used in EMS profession
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Work schedule varies and includes evenings and weekends
- Two years of EMS experience as a paramedic
- Current Texas State paramedic certification/license
- Current CPR certification must include adult, child and infant CPR and obstructed airway for each age group; certification required within 90 days of starting
Hourly Pay Rate is $25.11.Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.Special Instructions
All applicants for Full Time Faculty and Adjunct Faculty positions are required to provide a cover letter and unofficial transcripts for consideration for employment with Lone Star College.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume. You must limit your file name to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.