DescriptionPosition SummaryUniversity Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado’s (CU) four campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service, technical expertise, and the development of enterprise applications responsible for supporting CU’s students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.The Financial Analyst supports UIS by providing financial and operational support to all members of the department. This position is responsible for working with the Assistant Director of Business Services to manage the department’s finances and includes generating budget reports, assisting with data analysis, carrying out monthly close responsibilities, and preparing budget presentations. The Financial Analyst acts as UIS’s subject matter expert regarding procurement, travel, and expense reimbursement processes and acts as the primary liaison between the department and CU’s Procurement Service Center (PSC). This position works independently and must have a thorough understanding of the departmental, its budget, and various CU and UIS policies, procedures, and guidelines to be successful.The Financial Analyst reports to the Assistant Director of Business Services and is exempt from the State of Colorado Classified Staff System.Duties and ResponsibilitiesDuties and responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to: Financial and Budget Management and Analysis
- Provide fiscal and operational support to UIS, which includes purchasing, accounting, and overall financial management
- Generate custom and standardized financial reports and utilize information to:
- Track and monitor consultant progress on projects
- Reconcile financial transactions and balances to check accuracy
- Ensure all financial transactions are recorded accurately, timely, and according to UIS and CU policies at monthly close; make correcting journal entries when needed
- Forward monthly financial data to UIS managers, directors, and leadership; work with managers, directors, and leadership to identify shortfalls o issues and resolve discrepancies
- Work in conjunction with the Assistant Director to develop, prepare, submit, monitor, and close out approximately $24 million in UIS budgets based on long-term department objectives
- Works with team to develop various monthly and annual budget presentations utilizing PowerPoint and Visio tools based on budget and finance initiatives for leadership team
- Track licensing and contract renewals; work with UIS managers and ADs to correct issues, ensure processes are followed, and track costs against established budgets
- Act as the UIS procurement, travel, and expense reimbursement subject matter expert by providing guidance and support through the related lifecycles to UIS staff; advises of processes, procedures, and guidelines as well as the best path to achieve desired results
- Collects and reviews procurement documents for compliance; identifies issues and works with UIS employees, vendors, and the PSC to resolve
- Coordinate purchases of goods and services from requisition request through to the invoice payment; utilizes CU Marketplace for purchasing and research purposes to include purchase order (PO) creation, maintenance, and invoice processing
- Work with UIS employees to collect documentation for expense reimbursements and submit information using the Concur Travel & Expense System; reviews documentation for compliance and works with employees to resolve issues; approves deviations from UIS policy as necessary
- Make recommendations and implements process improvement based on analysis and evaluation of current UIS and CU processes and in comparison, to research and/or industry best practices as it relates to finance and procurement
- Serve as a back-up for the Assistant Director, as needed
- Manage special projects and tasks as assigned
- Medical: Multiple plan options
- Dental: Multiple plan options
- Additional Insurance: Disability, Life, Vision and Wellness
- Retirement 401(a) Plan: Employer contributes 10% of your gross pay
- Paid Time Off: Accruals over the year
- Vacation Days: 22
- Sick Days: 15
- Holiday Days: 10
- Tuition Benefit: System employees have the benefit on all campuses
- ECO Pass: RTD Bus and light rail service
- Additional Perks & Programs: Click here to access a few more Perks and Programs
- Knowledge of the business, financial, and organizational structure of CU
- Knowledge of accounting principles, processes, and best practices
- Proofreading, grammar, punctuation, and formatting skills, including the ability maintain consistency and be cognizant of and address details
- Customer service skills, including the ability to actively listen, address customer needs, defuse tense situations, and maintain an open, flexible, and friendly demeanor
- Computer skills, including the ability to utilize Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.) with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Interpersonal and collaboration skills, including the ability to facilitate interaction, communication, and teamwork between others
- Data analysis skills, including the ability to generate a variety of reports and compile data using Microsoft Access and Excel, create and maintain complex calculations and pivot tables, and evaluate and present data using business intelligence tools, such as Tableau.
- Oral, written, and listening communication skills, including the ability to accurately interpret what others are saying and convey messages, information, concepts, and details accurately and clearly
- Organizational skills, including the ability to set and meet goals and deadlines, manage appointments, create schedules, coordinate and facilitate meetings, and make decisions
- Ability to learn and experiment with new software and systems
- Ability to work under pressure, manage multiple concurrent and competing tasks and responsibilities, and adapt to changing priorities while maintaining personal effectiveness
- Ability to prioritize work, meet deadlines, and stay on task when completing special projects and daily assignments
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and reliable professional judgement, as well as collaboratively with a team to achieve desired results
- Ability to maintain a strong work ethic, positive problem-solving attitude, and enthusiasm for the work performed
- Ability to self-start and take initiative in completing daily tasks and special projects
- Ability to focus on activities that have the greatest impact on meeting work commitments
- Ability to establish and maintain partnerships with a variety of internal and external constituencies.
- Ability to communicate and work effectively with individuals from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and ages
- Ability to navigate a complex political environment
- Ability to handle and maintain sensitive and confidential material
- Ability to maintain accurate and detailed records and record keeping systems
- Ability to prepare reports, briefings, and presentations in a variety of formats (e.g. verbal, written, visual, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education, or equivalent professional experience (professional experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis)
- One (1) year of experience handling departmental budgets and fiscal procedures, which includes:
- Developing and analyzing customized and standardized financial reports
- Using enterprise financial software systems to complete budget reconciliations, journal entries, and financial research.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business, or field related to the work performed.
- Two (2) years’ experience handling departmental budgets and fiscal procedures, as indicated above.
- Experience providing procurement and office administration support.
- General understanding of the University of Colorado, including its organizational structure.
- Familiarity with University of Colorado systems and procedures including Concur, CU Marketplace, Finance or similar databases.
- Reporting experience in a higher education setting.
- Experience in a customer service role.
Job Category: Finance and Accounting
Primary Location: Denver
Posting Date: Dec 21, 2020
Unposting Date: Ongoing