About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Desk Assistant
Department: Residential Life/ Engagement
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Job Type: Full Time /Part-Time - Temporary Positions
Timeframe: 18 Weeks
Shift: TBD Nights and Weekends may be required
Regular Days Off: TBD
Salary: $15.00 Per Hour
There will be multiple hirings from this posting
General Statement of Duties:
Monitor access of residents and guests to the residences on campus. Enforce the Guest and other University policies and verify student IDs for accuracy. Confiscate misused, damaged, or altered forms of identification. Notify the proper authorities in the event of an emergency such as fire, crime, or medical issues. Communicate incidents and concerns, using the phone or radio equipment, to other departmental representatives. Write complete, concise, and accurate Incident Communication Forms. Remain alert to surroundings at all times. Act as a front-line representative of the University, providing information, direction and assistance to residents, faculty and staff. Monitor the main lobby and front desk area for improper activities. Report any equipment-related malfunctions to the Residence Director, Residence Professional on Duty (RPOD), or the Residential Life Main Office. Attend at least two training sessions per year. Consult and review the Emergency Response Protocol Manual on a regular basis.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Provide customer service and support for residents, staff, and faculty
- Display courtesy and professionalism at all times
- Remain behind the desk for the entirety of the shift and welcome/greet/acknowledge each person who enters the community or desk area
- Respond courteously to questions from callers and walk-ins; assist students, staff, faculty, while in the residence halls
- Learn fundamental desk and security operations as instructed by Residential Engagement, Public Safety, Emergency Response Team, etc and implement all policies and procedures in a courteous and timely fashion
- Provide vigilance to support the safety and security of the residence halls
- Enforce all Housing Operations, Residential Engagement, and University policies
- Be aware of attitudes and behavioral patterns of residents and report any concerning behavior to the Residence Director, RPOD and/or Director
- Manage the circulation of residence hall supplies, temporary access cards, logs, and all other materials as appropriate
- Maintain an accurate log of all incidents and interactions during shift
- Compile accurate and timely reports for supervisor as requested
- Be understanding of the issues faced by residence hall students and their family members throughout the year
- Treat all members of the staff and the community equally, with respect and dignity
- Maintain confidentiality of student information in accordance with University and FERPA policies
- Utilize The Housing Director to verify student information
- Develop a sense of community among the residents with the residence hall
- Participate in all trainings and meetings as required
- Serve as a liaison between Residential Engagement and campus partners
Note: The nature of the DSA position does not allow for all duties to be explicitly described. There will be times when hall staffs are requested to assist in an emergency or other unforeseen circumstance. These situations will be presented as thoroughly as possible at the time of need
- High School diploma or GED
- Must have the ability and willingness to work in a high-stress environment
- Ability to work with and manage stress/anxiety of others
- Must be physically able to carry up to 20lbs up three flights of stairs
- Experience in security or a related field
- First Aid, CPR, and/or AED certification
- Effective communicator
- Proven record of strong administrative skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to adapt quickly
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application and resume are required. A cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin immediately. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=127180&CNTRNO=7&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency