Program Administrator, Theatre
Job Posting Location:
Job Posting Title:
Program Administrator, Theatre
ABOUT POMONA COLLEGE: Located near Los Angeles, California, Pomona College is widely regarded as one of the nation's premier liberal arts colleges. Established in 1887, Pomona College is known for small classes, a challenging curriculum, close relationships between students and faculty, and a range of student research and leadership opportunities. Pomona is a member of The Claremont Colleges.
POSITION SUMMARY: The Program Administrator/Front of House Manager directs and coordinates administrative operations of the Department of Theatre & Dance, including provision of records, reports, or other statistical data as needed. This position also participates in the formulation of policies, develops and revises methods, systems, and functional procedures for unit. This position is responsible for the direction and oversight of diverse student employees. This position is responsible for the management of the department’s Box Office Operations. Additional supervision and oversight is provided to the House Management student staff (2 House Managers/8-14 Ushers) where chief goal is to ensure patron safety and comfort. This position also supervises a small special collections theatre library.
Reporting directly to the Department Chair, the Program Administrator -Theatre works independently and collaboratively to perform the following essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provide clear direction and oversight of all department activities in order to develop and achieve annual goals, including budgeting, planning and staff development.Responsible for monitoring and evaluating direct report and overall student employee performance and daily assignments.Maintain an efficient, collegial, and proactive work environment within the Theatre & Dance department and collaborating departments.
- This position is a central hiring agent for the department. Coordinates comprehensive hiring of student workers from all 5 Claremont Colleges. Attends College Fairs; execute contracts and hire 5C work study students. Post student employment opportunities within Handshake job bulletin. Also supervises a small special collections theatre library, and student staff.
- Prepare, maintain, and reconcile departmental budgetary records and various financial functions working. Collect and analyze information and data for budgetary compliance. Prepare proposed budget for review and approval by chair. Periodic reconciliation of budgets with Production Manager and ensure accuracy in accounting against WorkDay software. Prepare monthly student wages report to technical staff for budget reconciliation in their respective areas.
- Prepare purchasing card expense reporting on behalf of faculty card holders where no research assistant is recruited.
- Initiate contracts for goods or services on behalf of department.
- Reconcile and process cash advance funding for design faculty and guest artists as needed. Create documentation to execute payments to guest design artists and faculty.
- Manage Department’s Box Office Operations: Create electronic ticketing interface by manually inputting seasons’ events into electronic ticketing software system which is the platform for ticket creation and management. Copy and paste process is almost non-existent, with work requiring accuracy in detail towards effective ticketing content in reserved and general admission venues. Produce statistical reporting on event sales upon completion of individual performance run. Train and oversee student box office staff in delivering direct service to theatre patrons in automated environment, in person and via telephone. Update department website to connect Vendini Ticket Sales direct link to end uses WebUpdate to allow for online purchases per show. Individualized attention and handling required for season subscribers, high school outreach efforts and group sales. Notifications to faculty, staff, guest designers, and directors on ticketing for preview and regular performances. Delivery of documentation to business office in support of direct deposits for credit card transactions posted through Vendini and ACH compliant partner. Authorize.net, as well as cash/check deposits. Distribute email campaigns to theatre patron base to solicit and bolster attendance at events.
- Supervision of House Management Staff to ensure a safe and enjoyable theatre-going experience. Meet with staff to provide orientation on protocol for audience interaction; delivery of service. Provide training on the use of laser electronic ticket swiping interface. Ensure that House Management staff attends CPR/EMS training to be able to respond in emergencies. Ensure that performances have appropriate coverage for sponsored events. Develop policies, guidelines, standards and reporting systems for the department and specific areas of accountability.
- Serve as a member of the Department’s Executive Group. Provide advice concerning relevant issues regarding the department. Counsel department on matters on cultural diversity in Theatre hires, programming and long-range planning. Review and adapt existing programs and recommend changes when necessary.
- Serve as a consultant on special projects for department (e.g., rekeying of Seaver Theatre Complex).
- Draft reports and correspondence for the Department Faculty Chair.
- Coordinate distribution of facility keys and facilitates card reader access to complex.
- Coordinate special projects, conferences and provide assistance as required.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree is preferred and/or combination of experience and education.
- Experience: A minimum of 7 years of administrative and supervisory experience in theatre or related field is required.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND CRITICAL SKILLS: Experience at an academic institution is preferred. Looking for someone who deploys professional skills in program administration and budgeting, in collaboration with colleagues, to best promote the College’s target interest. Demonstrates effective, accurate and clear communication with excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, reading, and leadership skills to supervise, facilitate, motivate and inspire a highly diverse group of student employees. Can handle all activities and highly confidential information with patience, discretion, good judgment, courtesy and tact while working with people from a wide variety of backgrounds. Prioritize and perform multiple projects/tasks, meet deadlines/timelines, respond to others in a timely manner, and work both independently and as a collaborative member of the College with a high standard of integrity and ethics, in support of the College’s strategic vision and the department’s annual goals. Demonstrates exceptional organizational, time management, analytical & accounting, problem solving and decision-making skills to complete work with accuracy and a keen attention to detail. Effective management and supervision of departmental box office operations to establish policies and mechanisms which support patron development.
REQUIRED HOURS: The regular hours for this full time position are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Holiday, weekend and evening work hours may be required. Travel may be required. Regular hours may vary due to needs of the College or division.
ADDITIONAL POSITION DETAILS: Regular, full-time, exempt position. Pay rate: $4,401.67 per month.
TO APPLY: To be considered for the position, please submit your resume, cover letter and three references. You may submit resume, cover letter, and references as one attachment in the My Experience section of the application under the "resume/CV" upload section. Once you submit your application, you will not be able to attach additional documents.
POMONA COLLEGE REWARDS: Pomona College offers a wide variety of benefits and perks including health, dental, and vision plan options; paid time off; flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits; tuition assistance; fitness and wellness programs; rideshare incentives; and so much more!
Pomona College prides itself in being an open, competitive, and equal opportunity employer.