Intermediate or Senior Administrative Coordinator, Democracy Initiative
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2021-02-15
The University of Virginia, Democracy Initiative and the College and Graduate School of Arts and Sciences is accepting applications for an Intermediate Administrative Coordinator or Senior Administrative Coordinator position. The Democracy Initiative program is an exciting and ambitious interdisciplinary teaching, research, and engagement effort bringing together a diverse range of scholars, government leaders, and practitioners to study and advance the prospects of democracy around the world. Within the Democracy Initiative, a series of Democracy Labs promote faculty and student research, teaching, and public engagement.
The Intermediate or Senior Administrative Coordinator will serve as the major administrative support to the Democracy Initiative and manage the Democracy Initiative executive suite. The selected candidate will provide scheduling and other administrative support to two high profile co-directors of the Initiative who will be interacting with cross-UVA leadership and national/global stakeholders.
- Provide scheduling and administrative support to two co-directors of the Democracy Initiative.
- Responsible for assisting with daily duties, requiring an understanding of organization operations, procedures, and initiatives.
- Responsible for tracking departmental travel funds, reporting, and processing reimbursements, complex travel arrangements, calendaring, and communication with faculty, administrators, Faculty Advisory Committee, and other committees (both standing and ad hoc) as convened by or on behalf of, the Co-Directors, among other constituents.
- Responsible for classroom and convening space scheduling - as these spaces are open and available to all DI Labs/Projects/Student Advisory Council, as well as to all College-wide staff/faculty.
- Support event planning activities as needed.
- Provide administrative support to the finance generalist.
- Prepare invoices and purchase requisitions, enter and extract financial information, prepare monthly reconciliations for multiple fund sources, track and purchase office supplies, and make other purchases as needed.
- Provide administrative support for grants, pre- and post-award.
- Supervise and approve timecards for some DI student employees.
- Assist the Democracy Initiative Labs with the procurement process, reimbursement requests, and expense tracking systems.
- Ensure procurement and reimbursement policies and procedures are followed.
- In addition to the above job responsibilities, other duties may be assigned.
This job will be filled at either the Intermediate Administrative Coordinator or Senior Administrative Coordinator level depending on the successful candidate's experience, knowledge, and competencies.
The ideal candidate for the Intermediate Administrative Coordinator will have a High School Diploma and at least four years of prior administrative support experience.
The ideal candidate for the Senior Administrative Coordinator will have a High School Diploma and at least six years of prior administrative support experience. Bachelor's degree may substitute for experience.
All candidates’ minimum requirements:
- Must possess strong writing and editing skills, excellent grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
- The ability to work independently with little oversight to prepare and compose correspondence; and create and maintain electronic files and records is required.
- Attention to detail and high level of accuracy is essential. Excellent organizational, strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to adapt to a fast-paced environment with changing priorities are essential.
- Exhibit a professional and positive demeanor in high pressure situations as well as effective communication and relationship building with a diverse group of individuals and organizations.
- Experience with Microsoft Office Suite is required, specifically Word, Outlook scheduling function and Excel.
- Experience working on websites and social media a plus.
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
This position will remain open until filled. This is a nonexempt level, benefited position. This position is a restricted position and is dependent upon availability of funding and performance.
***Please note ALL REQUESTED documents MUST be uploaded in the cv/resume box and you can combine documents into one PDF.***
***Applications that do not contain all the required documents will not receive full consideration.***
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs: search for posting #R0020681 (or through Workday for internal applicants), complete the application, and attach the following:
- Cover letter - addressing why you are interested in this position, how your experience has prepared you and demonstrated experience working with underrepresented groups.
- Contact information for 3 references
For questions about the position, please contact Ellen Ochs, at email@example.com. For questions about the application process, please contact Nicole Robinson, Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background check at time of offer per University Policy.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.