Job no: 498620
Work type: Staff
Location: San José
Categories: Unit 9 - CSUEU - Technical Support Services, Administrative, Finance/Accounting, Probationary, Full Time
The Contracts Specialist provides administrative and analytical support to Contracts and Procurement Services. Working independently under limited supervision, this position is responsible for a variety of services to campus departments to ensure the procurement authority vested with the University is effectively implemented and administered in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations. The Contract Specialist prepares and processes contract documents for construction, construction related professional services, leases, student agreements, memorandums of understanding, license agreements, revenue agreements, long-term finance agreements and other contractual obligations required by the University.
- Initiate, evaluate, and execute a variety of contracts including construction related public works contracts, design and professional service agreements, leases, student agreements, memorandums of understanding, and other miscellaneous campus contracts in accordance with CSU, ICSUAM and SUAM guidelines.
- General administration includes the analysis of contract financial data (review of Job Order Contract compliance, Change Order Requests), interpreting and applying rules and policy, understanding and making decisions related to terms and conditions, writing and developing public solicitations including evaluations / recommendations /contract specifications.
- Provide contract management through the term of the contract to insure appropriate execution of documents including notification, compliance with contract terms, termination of contracts, evaluation and verification of risk and insurance terms, overseeing evaluation teams and processes, communicating and interfacing with contractors, vendors, clients, university staff and faculty in fulfillment of duties.
- Identify potential savings through proper execution of bid solicitations, intense review of Contractor requests for payment, risk evaluation and avoidance.
- Actively participate in procurement planning, analysis, development, and evaluation of highly complex procurement programs with a broad impact to the university, community, and CSU.
- Research, analysis, assessment, formulation, development, and evaluation from a strategic and operational perspective of programs such as emergency contracting, construction programs, student programs, revenue generating programs.
- Regularly participate in planning and development activities and independent determination of methods meeting procurement program goals, policies, and laws.
- Research procurement and contracting methodologies and recommend beneficial changes/implementations for policy and procedures as needed.
- Coordination and administration of campus training sessions including procurement training, rfp training, vendor outreach conferences, and other related sessions.
- Identify potential savings through proper execution of bid solicitations, review of Contractor requests for payment, risk evaluation and avoidance.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Contract Administration Expertise and the thorough knowledge of and ability to apply this expertise to complex programs and a wide range of university contracts, including the applicable laws and regulations governing the procurement programs.
- Expertise in techniques, analysis, research, and development and the ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and make recommendations.
- Ability to understand university problems and objectives from a broad perspective and discern applicable underlying principles to conceive and develop strategic solutions in the execution of university contracts.
- Ability to work effectively and collaboratively with a wide range of public and private entities over a broad range of contractual topics include those of potentially sensitive or confidential situations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to apply extensive expertise to complex programs and/or administrative specialties related to Procurement and Contracting, including pertinent laws and regulations.
- Expertise in and advanced knowledge of the principles, problems, and methods of public and business administration and operational and fiscal management.
- Expertise in administrative survey techniques, operations and systems analysis, statistical and research methods, and the ability to interpret and evaluate results to develop sound conclusions and recommend new or revised policies.
- Ability to understand problems from a broad, interactive perspective and discern applicable underlying principles to conceive of and develop strategic solutions
- Ability to work with representatives from public and private entities and handle potentially sensitive situations
- Consultative skills in working with internal and external constituent groups
- Ability to effectively present ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative and facilitation skills to gain consensus
- Ability to train others on new skills and procedures.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft or other ERP financial system, Department of General Services (DGS) eProcurement portal and online tools, PlanetBids Electronic Platform, Smartsheet or other project tools, PowerPoint and other training tools. Other computer skills (word, excel, access, and online meeting tools).
- Maintain knowledge of state laws, CSU policies, university policies, procedures and performance standards including but not limited to ICSUAM 5000, ICSUAM 9000 and other topics as needed in Contact Administrations.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- A bachelor's degree and/or equivalent training
- Four years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
- Master’s Degree
- Experience with Contract Administration
- Experience with client relationship management
- Experience tracking relevant KPIs (e.g. contract performance, customer service, etc.)
- Experience with negotiating complex contracts
- Experience with risk management via contracts
Classification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist – Exempt II
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5,580/month - $6,441/month
Hiring Range: $4,693/month - $8,489/month
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 18, 2020 through January 5, 2021. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 18, 2020 (8:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time