Teaching Assistant/Associate/Full Professor
PG190286EPInternal Recruitment :
Teaching Assistant/Associate/Full ProfessorAnticipated Hiring Range:
$70,000 - $120,000Work Schedule:
Full-time, as work neededJob Location:
Raleigh, NCDepartment :
Biomedical Program - ENGAbout the Department:
The mission of the Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering is to provide leadership through exceptional educational programs and experiences that prepare engineers and scientists to meet the challenges of biomedical discovery and applications of engineering to medicine. The research and entrepreneurship of the faculty, students, and staff aim to accumulate, generate, and disseminate biomedical engineering knowledge to improve health care for the benefit of the people of North Carolina, the nation, and the world.Essential Job Duties:
The Teaching Professor provides instruction and technical support for undergraduates in any of the Joint Department of Biomedical Engineering research areas including rehabilitation engineering, regenerative medicine, biomedical imaging, biomedical microdevices, and pharmacoengineering with preference given to candidates with expertise in biomedical microdevices. The Teaching Professor will also serve as the Director of Assessment and coordinate all ABET and other assessment activities for the Joint Department.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Leading all assessment activities of the Joint Department undergraduate program including ABET accreditation.
- Delivering lectures that cover the course objectives as stated on the course syllabus following the dates of the NC State University and University of North Carolina university calendars for the given semester.
- Assessment of student performance including exams, projects, laboratory assignments and/or homework assignments as outlined on the course syllabus.
- If the course contains a lab section, overseeing the laboratory component to guarantee appropriate content of lab exercises and coordination of the lab with the lecture.
- All other responsibilities associated with teaching the course including grading exams, papers, and projects in a timely manner and providing help to students during scheduled office hours.
- If a teaching assistant is provided, providing supervision to the teaching assistant and coordinate assignments not exceeding the workload of the teaching assistant.
- The faculty member will teach courses on topics in one or more of the following areas of Biomedical Engineering (BME): rehabilitation engineering, regenerative medicine, biomedical imaging, biomedical microdevices, or pharmacoengineering.
- The instructional load for this position will be 3 to 4 courses taught each academic year. Employment will be through the North Carolina State University campus, but some courses may be located on the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill campus.
- The individual must work productively and in a collaborative manner across all constituent BME entities, i.e. University of North Carolina College of Arts and Sciences, University of North Carolina School of Medicine, and the NC State University College of Engineering.
- The candidate will also be expected to assist with undergraduate advising and curriculum planning.
Leadership Team/Academic Pillar member, Experiential Education team member, Counsel on Undergraduate Education member.Other Required Qualifications:
Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated teaching excellence at the university level, particularly in the target course areas listed above, and who have experience with assessment, in particular ABET assessment activities.Required License(s) or Certification(s):
N/AValid NC Driver's License required:
NoCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
12/05/2019Special Instructions to Applicants:
REPOST – this position is being reposted. Previous applicants are still being considered, and do NOT need to reapply.
In addition to your application, please submit the following documents:
- Cover letter
- The contact information for at least three professional references
- A brief statement of teaching philosophy
Non-Tenure-Track FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
9 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
147501 - Biomedical Program - ENGAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.