Financial Aid Administrator
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-12-17
The Office of Student Financial Services at the University of Virginia seeks a Financial Aid Administrator to provide comprehensive and quality financial aid administration and counseling for undergraduate students, their parents, university departments, and external organizations. This position also contributes to compliance with federal and state regulations, creation and enforcement of office policies, and procedures to ensure timely and accurate delivery of student financial aid.
Duties will generally include some combination of the following: financial aid need analysis, federal and institutional verification, determining eligibility for various types of financial aid, administering certain elements of the financial aid program, communicating with prospective and current UVA students and families both verbally and in writing, providing educational/outreach programs for local high schools, and other related tasks.
- Education: Bachelor's degree. Relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Experience: At least two years of financial aid experience. Relevant experience within another sector may be considered in lieu of experience within Financial Aid.
- Physical Demands: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require attending meetings and programs, which may take place in locations other than the office.
- A master's degree is preferred, as is up to four years’ experience determining eligibility for student financial aid using federal and institutional need-analysis formulas.
- A demonstrated ability to synthesize large volumes of information from numerous sources, and the ability to utilize all available resources appropriately.
- A demonstrated ability to review, interpret and make professional judgments on complex issues while maintaining compliance with federal and state regulations.
- The preferred candidate has well-developed computer and web-based skills, and the ability to identify and initiate improvements to processes and systems.
- The preferred candidate has experience with and/or willingness to engage in public speaking.
- Proficiency in PeopleSoft or other higher education student information systems is preferred.
- The successful applicant is proficient in the Microsoft 365 suite of products, especially Excel.
- The successful applicant can consistently apply federal, state, and institutional regulation and policy.
- The ability to prioritize duties and responsibilities to meet office goals and objectives.
- The ability to independently perform daily administrative tasks.
- The ability to handle and manage ambiguity, repetition, and change.
- The successful applicant has excellent organizational skills, the ability to manage multiple projects, the ability to assume responsibility, take initiative and motivate others, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to simplify and clarify complex processes.
- Strong customer service orientation with an ability to establish rapport to discuss sensitive and personal information, and to listen and resolve customer concerns/questions.
- The successful applicant demonstrates a high level of professionalism on a daily basis.
Anticipated Hiring Range: $45,000 - $52,000 commensurate with candidate's experience and qualifications, with UVA benefits.
For questions about the position or the application process, please contact Bethany Case, Academic Recruiter, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicant review will begin early January. This position will remain open until filled.
Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘'Financial Aid Administrator". Complete an application online and attach a cover letter and CV/resume all into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.