Nursing Instructor (2 positions)
John A. Logan College is seeking applicants for a full-time, tenure-track faculty position in nursing to begin fall 2021. The College desires a dedicated instructor who fosters and promotes a collegial atmosphere and places student learning and success as top priorities. This position will teach didactic, lab, and clinical courses in the practical nursing and/or associate degree nursing programs as assigned by the Director of Nursing. The instructor must be available to teach classes during the day, evenings, and weekends as needed.
Faculty are covered under a 9-month contract period (August through May) and are required to teach a minimum of 15 credit hours and serve eight office hours per week for student consultation in fall and spring semesters. Additional teaching opportunities with compensation may be available in the summer semester. Full-time faculty are provided private offices and have access to numerous support services.
Specific Job Duties:
- To instruct students in the facts and skills pertaining to assigned courses.
- To conduct classes as scheduled.
- To consider the needs of the students, and assist them by seeking help from other college services.
- To distribute to all students a course syllabus that covers the class requirements, grading procedure, attendance requirements, and course objectives.
- To inform students of educational and occupational opportunities.
- To utilize instructional technology for online learning and record-keeping.
- To update curriculum, prepare outlines, and select textbooks.
- To submit midterm and final grade reports, attendance records, early alerts, and other reports pertaining to assigned courses by required due dates.
- To assist in partnerships and dual credit opportunities with district high schools.
- To maintain safe and organized classroom labs, including accurate control of equipment and supplies.
- To actively engage business and industry partners and work with an advisory committee to assure program meets industry needs.
- To recruit students to the nursing program.
- To assist in identifying adjunct nursing faculty and work with them to make sure instructional objectives are met.
- To stay current in the field of nursing by participating in professional development.
- To participate on college committee(s).
- To participate in accreditation, assessment activities, and program review.
- To participate in academic advising.
- To perform other duties as outlined in the Faculty Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- To represent the College credibly with respect to any of its activities, and observe, support, and enforce the regulations, policies, and programs of the College.
Requirements: Master’s degree in nursing; current, unencumbered valid Illinois Registered Nurse license; five years’ nursing experience; strong communication skills and computer literacy.
Preferred Qualifications: Community college teaching experience; online teaching experience.
Deadline to Apply: January 29, 2021, at the close of business
John A. Logan College is an established, growing, and innovative higher education institution. In fall 2020, the College enrolled 3,310 students in baccalaureate-transfer and career education programs. Carterville is located in southern Illinois and is within ten minutes of a major university and within two hours of St. Louis, MO.
The College has been affiliated with the NEA/IEA for 40 years. Starting salary is determined by educational level and teaching experience as per contract salary schedule, and opportunities exist for overload and summer teaching. The College provides an excellent fringe benefit package. Further information about the College may be obtained at www.jalc.edu.
Send a John A. Logan College faculty application, resume, copy of all transcripts, and the names, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of four professional references to:
Office of Human Resources
John A. Logan College
700 Logan College Drive
Carterville, IL 62918
618-985-2828 Ext. 8273
John A. Logan College is an affirmative action institution and is committed to equal opportunity for all.