Assistant/Associate/Full Professor (T/TE) Aerospace and Mechanical Engineering
Aerospace & Mechanical EngrDepartment Website Link:
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
The Aerospace and Mechanical Engineer Department (AME) at the University of Arizona invites applications and nominations for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant, Associate or Full Professor level in the area of Hypersonics with an emphasis in solid mechanics for advanced materials and structures, and related advanced manufacturing.
The successful candidate is expected to establish an externally funded and nationally and internationally recognized research program that is aligned with Grand Challenges of the University of Arizona’s new strategic plan, including hypersonics and space technologies. Opportunities for synergy with existing research activities in the department, college and the University will be viewed favorably. The Department offers excellent opportunities to collaborate with ongoing related research efforts in aerodynamics (including hypersonics), control systems, micro-air vehicles, and spacecraft GNC, micro-technology, rocket and space engineering, as well as other ongoing research efforts in astrodynamics, vibrations, CFD, computational design optimization, fluid instability, and multi-scale mechanics of materials, and robotics.
Further opportunities for collaboration on campus include the Department of Planetary Sciences, the Arizona Health Sciences Center, and the Bio5 Institute for Collaborative Bioresearch, the College of Optical Sciences and the Program in Applied Mathematics, all of which enjoy international recognition as centers for world-class academic programs and research.Outstanding UA benefits include health, dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs; sick leave and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for the employee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans; access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
TheUniversity of Arizona has been recognized for our innovative work-lifeprograms. For more information about working at the University of Arizona andrelocations services, please visit http://talent.arizona.edu/Duties & Responsibilities:
- Applications of interest include structures and materials under extreme temperature, pressure, and strain rate conditions.
- The Successful candidate will be expected to teach and develop undergraduate and graduate courses in the areas of solid mechanics, structures, materials, and to establish an active externally funded research program.
- Faculty member will teach courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels and contribute to mentoring students, including those from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Excellence in undergraduate and graduate teaching is expected for senior candidates, and a willingness to excel at undergraduate and graduate teaching is expected at the assistant level.
- Faculty participate in outreach and contribute to departmental, college, and university service. Faculty also help to develop innovative approaches to enhance student engagement, increase diversity, and expand collaborations with community and business partners.
- Ph.D. degree in Aerospace orMechanical Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- Demonstrated research potential or accomplishments.
- Experience teaching and mentoring of students.
- Research experience
- Track record of peer-reviewed publications.
- The selected candidate will be required to provide higher education credentials during the offer discussions.
- Strong track record of peer-reviewed publications.
- Evidence of interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Previous teaching experience in the areas of solid mechanics, structures, and materials.
To be DeterminedTenure Information:
Tenure Track (T/TE)FLSA:
ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
salary at 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE)Type of criminal background check required::
Name-based criminal background check (non-security sensitive)Number of Vacancies:
1Target Hire Date:
8/15/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
Nancy Preble, [email protected] 520.626.8741Open Date:
12/17/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
Curriculum Vitae (CV), Cover Letter, and Three Additional DocumentsSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
Please include in your application materials the following: Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae, Statement of Research Interests, Statement of Teaching Interests, Contact information of three professional references (phone and email).Diversity Statement:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.