Research Associate in System Engineering and Environment
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-12-15
A postdoctoral research associate position is available in the research group of Dr. Negin Alemazkoor in the Department of System Engineering and Environment at the University of Virginia.
In this role, the successful candidate will perform interdisciplinary research in the areas of smart cities and resilient infrastructure systems by applying uncertainty quantification (UQ) methods and machine learning (ML) techniques.
- Conducting innovative research on foundational or applied data science;
- Applying data science capabilities to scientific and engineering applications relevant to smart cities and resilient infrastructure systems;
- Publishing peer-reviewed articles reputed top journals in the field;
- Contributing to development of open-source software.
- Ph.D. in civil engineering, computer science, applied mathematics, or a closely related field by the start date;
- Proven track record of research publications;
- Experience in scientific computing and algorithm/software development;
- Experience in machine learning and data science;
- Excellent written, verbal communication, and interpersonal skills;
- Experience in Python, MATLAB, R, or C++;
- Ability to work with large datasets;
- Experience in performing interdisciplinary research.
Apply online at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and attach a curriculum vitae, cover letter, 1-2 peer-reviewed publications related to this position, and contact information for three references.
Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the CV box.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Review of applications will begin on January 15, 2021 and the posting will remain open until filled. Candidates from underrepresented groups in STEM are strongly encouraged to apply. Preferred start dates are between February 15 and March 15, but later start date may also be possible.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment.
This is a one-year appointment that may be renewed for up to two additional one-year terms, contingent upon available funding and satisfactory performance.
For questions regarding this position, please contact Dr. Negin Alemazkoor, Assistant Professor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For questions regarding the application process, contact Rich Haverstrom, Faculty Search Advisor, at email@example.com.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.