Certified Intern Athletic Trainer (Staff Wage)
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Part-time
Posted data: 2021-02-03
The University of Virginia is a highly competitive Division I program committed to academic and athletic excellence. The Department of Athletics at the University of Virginia is now accepting applications for the position of Certified Intern Athletic Trainer to support the Sports Medicine program.
This Certified Athletic Trainer position is an hourly wage position intended for those candidates who have completed their undergraduate or entry-level Master's degree in a Sports Medicine program and are seeking experience in a clinical setting.
The Certified Athletic Trainer is responsible for providing assistance to the Associate Athletics Director for Sports Medicine in the prevention, evaluation, treatment, referral and rehabilitation of injuries/illnesses to student athletes. Specific duties include, but are not limited to: assisting in the daily health care of student-athletes; recording and maintaining appropriate medical records for treatment given; interfacing with various internal and external personnel for referral purposes and information exchange; transporting student athletes to physician appointments; providing support in the administrative management of the Sports Medicine unit, including assisting in the coverage of sports camps; and other miscellaneous job related duties as deemed necessary by the Associate AD for Sports Medicine/Head Athletic Trainer.
There is an immediate opening for an intern to work primarily with the Men's and Women's Tennis and Squash programs. This position would end on 6/1/2021. We will also be looking to fill positions for the 2021-2022 school year, with opportunities to work with Volleyball, Baseball, Men’s & Women’s Tennis and Squash, Men’s and Women’s Swimming and Diving, and Women’s Rowing. The 2021-22 positions will work from August 2021 – May 2022.
Anticipated Compensation: $12.00/hour
This is a wage position, which is not eligible for leave or other benefits and is limited to 1500 hours of work in a year. For more information, refer to the Managing Staff Wage Employment Policy: http://uvapolicy.virginia.edu/policy/HRM-029. It is established on a 5-month basis, intended to work during the academic year only. This position is not eligible for relocation or housing assistance.
To apply, please submit an application online through Workday at https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs and be sure to attach a current CV/Resume, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references. Search on requisition number R0020635.
The University will perform background checks on all new hires prior to employment. This position will require an Education Verification. A DMV check is required.
- Education: Bachelor's Degree required.
- Experience: None required.
- Licensure: Certified Athletic Trainer by the Board of Certification and First Aid/CPR certifications required. Candidates must be eligible for VA athletic training licensure. Valid driver's license in good standing and personal transportation also required. CES, PES, FMS, cupping, and/or Graston certifications preferred.
- Knowledge/Skills/Abilities: Knowledge of NCAA, ACC and institutional rules and regulations. Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituents in a diverse community. Demonstrates genuine concern and interest for the welfare of student-athletes. Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures. Knowledge of CPR and emergency medical procedures. Ability to evaluate therapeutic requirements for student-athletes, and to fit and modify therapeutic and/or protective equipment. Ability to function professionally in highly stressful situations and to provide clear information on an impromptu basis to individuals or groups of people. Ability to maintain poise in emergency situations and effectively interact with people in a calm, positive manner. Ability and desire to perform accurate, detail-oriented work, manage multiple tasks simultaneously and maintain confidentiality and a professional demeanor. Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and sound judgments. Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing. Organizational and computer skills. Ability to relate to both men's and women's athletic injuries and rehabilitation of injuries to student-athletes required.
- Computer Applications: Some knowledge of computers and software: Microsoft Office is required.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.