Assistant Professor in Kinesiology
Texas Lutheran University invites applications for a full time, tenure track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the Department of Kinesiology, starting Fall, 2021. We seek a colleague with a strong commitment to undergraduate education interested in joining a growing department.
Requirements for the position include:
- Doctoral degree in kinesiology or a closely related discipline. ABD candidates will be considered if the degree will be completed by Fall 2021.
- Ability to teach a variety of courses, both introductory and advanced, in the kinesiology curriculum
- Strong commitment to excellence in teaching, advising, and serving a diverse student population
- Commitment to working collegially within the department and with representatives of other disciplines and programs on campus
- Desire to cultivate respect, responsibility, and resourcefulness as a role model
- Commitment to continued professional development
- Understanding and support of the mission of Texas Lutheran University
Preference will be given to candidates who meet the required qualifications and offer the following:
- Experience preparing students for meaningful employment, graduate study, and professional programs
- Public school teaching experience and knowledge of the requirements for teaching certification in physical education in Texas
- Ability to guide undergraduate experimental research projects
- Interest and capability to teach in some of the following areas:
- methods of teaching physical education
- administration of sport, corporate or public school programs
- leadership in coaching and administration
- early childhood motor programming
- foundations of kinesiology
- senior research capstone
- sport and exercise psychology
The Department of Kinesiology offers B.S. degrees in Kinesiology with specializations in exercise science, sport and fitness management, teaching/coaching, and rehabilitation science. The degree can lead to a Master of Athletic Training (M.A.T.) five-year degree for those qualified for admission after completing kinesiology requirements. The Kinesiology department consistently serves over 200 students (second highest at the institution) and has an excellent track record of preparing students for meaningful employment, graduate study, and professional programs.
Texas Lutheran University, a Hispanic Serving Institution, seeks applicants who are eager to join a culturally diverse community of learning. Our student body, reflective of the diversity of the State of Texas, is well over 40% Hispanic, with a strong African-American presence as well. Candidates who have the professional skills, experience, and/or the willingness to engage in teaching, collaborative research, and community service with our diverse student body are particularly sought. Salary and benefits are competitive. For more information, consult our web site at www.tlu.edu.
Please submit a letter of application addressing the above criteria, a current curriculum vitae, a statement of teaching philosophy, a statement of research interests, and three professional references (names, addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers). Also, as part of your application file, submit a statement that addresses your past or potential future contributions to diversity through teaching, research, or service and/or your experience working with underrepresented student populations. Single-file, electronic submissions are preferred. Separately, arrange for three confidential letters of recommendation to be submitted.
Please send your submissions to:
Dr. Jim Newberry
Chair, Department of Kinesiology
Review of applications will begin February 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Texas Lutheran University has been recognized consistently as a “Great College to Work For” by the Chronicle of Higher Education and has been featured in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges” rankings in various categories. The University is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) and also is subject to the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986 (IRCA). Texas Lutheran University is committed to enhancing diversity and inclusion across all levels of the University. Candidates who believe they can contribute to this goal are strongly encouraged to apply.
Apply for Assistant Professor in Kinesiology
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly