Controller, Director of Accounting
- 14-Dec-2020 to 15-Feb-2021 (EST)
- Business and Finance
- Boca Raton, FL, USA
- Full Time
- Email Me Similar JobsEmail Me This Job
Lynn University is an innovative, global and personalized college based in Boca Raton, Florida. Our 3,000 students are from approximately 100 countries. Our NCAA Division II Fighting Knights athletics program has won 25 national championships (and counting!)
The Chronicle of Higher Education consistently recognizes us as a "Great College to Work For" with high scores in compensation and benefits; work/life balance; job satisfaction; respect and appreciation, and more.
As a Lynn employee, you will help us build a better world with our students. Lynn is currently accepting applications for the position of Controller, Director of Accounting.
The desired Controller brings a strong blend of financial and leadership acumen to an environment that requires strategic and hands-on work along with a thirst for personal learning and mentoring of others. The Controller is responsible for the supervision of the following functions: Accounting and Student Accounts. The Controller ensures that financial transactions are timely and accurately recorded following generally accepted accounting principles for colleges and universities. In addition, the Controller designs, implements, and maintains appropriate internal control systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise accounting team and provide technical support to employees who maintain complex accounting records.
- Supervise student accounts team with a strong customer service focus including student billing, recording of financial aid, and collections and monitoring of accounts receivable balances.
- Establish and monitor accounting policies/procedures that will ensure compliance with University accounting policies and procedures, including appropriate higher education industry accounting practices and FASB accounting guidance and standards (GAAP).
- Review and approve all entries prepared by the Accounting staff. Prepare high-level account reconciliations.
- Review and approve monthly reconciliation schedules prepared by the Accounting staff.
- Manage the monthly closing and reporting process. Creation and presentation of monthly financial reports including variance analysis.
- Work in collaboration with the University development office for the accurate recording of gift agreements and accounting. Provide a monthly review, reconciliation and report of all gifts, contributions and pledges.
- Work in collaboration with the University procurement, accounts payable and employee services departments to ensure accurate and timely recording of transactions.
- Oversee, review and approve bank services and transactions including merchant services, wire and ACH transfers. Prepare and assess daily cash management reporting and forecasting. Monitor and complete required covenant compliance reporting.
- Monitor and project key indicators (i.e. Department of Education composite scores).
- Review monthly endowment activity, including market values and reconciliations, spend rate calculations. Oversee the process to release net assets from restriction and draw based on annual spend budgets.
- Work closely with Financial Planning and Analysis function to ensure that operational issues are addressed that impact the financial statements. Assist with annual budgeting and forecasting.
- Work with external auditors to coordinate the University's annual financial audit, single audit, NCAA audit and tax returns (990, 5500, etc.). Prepare and review audit requests and sample selections.
- Prepare the annual Financial Statements, including footnotes for review by the Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer.
- Oversee annual preparation of IPEDS report, Schedule of Expenditures and Federal Awards, Data Collection Form for the Single Audit and other annual surveys as needed.
- Consult with and provide customer support to University faculty, staff and students.
- Assist with the development, implementation, and maintenance of appropriate procedures and internal controls for other University offices who perform finance related tasks (e.g., Development and Student Accounts).
- Create detailed and relevant reports to provide management with timely information in order to make informed decisions and to communicate with various stakeholders and University governing bodies as required.
- Performance of accounting and auditing projects as required.
- Assist in research, interpretation and application of new and existing accounting pronouncements.
- Identify opportunities to generate efficiencies and increase the effectiveness of the Accounting function.
- Prepares documentation for Board of Trustee meetings, including Audit Committee.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Minimum: bachelor's degree. Preferred: MBA.
- Minimum: Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Minimum: 10 years of related experience. Preferred: Experience in higher education or a large not-for-profit organization.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles.
- Demonstrated experience with financial statement and report preparation.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external constituents, including Board members, University administration, other University departments, audit and tax firm(s), banking and insurance partners, and so forth.
- Working knowledge of computerized financial systems, preferably Workday.
- Must possess effective organizational, analytical, problem solving, supervisory, oral and written communications, and group leadership skills.
- Demonstrated success meeting deadlines in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint at a highly proficient level.
- Individual must be able to handle sensitive, confidential information in a mature, professional manner.
- Please include a cover letter with your application.
Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, age, pregnancy, parenting status, veteran status or retirement status in its activities and programs. In accordance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, Lynn University does not discriminate on the basis of sex. Inquiries concerning the application of the non-discrimination policy may be directed to the Lynn University Compliance Officer/Title IX Coordinator at 3601 N. Military Trail, Boca Raton, FL 33431, [email protected], or +1 561-237-7727; or to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Lynn University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate, master's and doctoral degrees. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097 or call +1 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of Lynn University. 2020 Lynn UniversityAmericans with Disabilities Act
Please notify us at least five days in advance if a reasonable accommodation for a disability is needed by calling +1 561-237-7639.The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with the Clery Act, the University annually provides a report to each student and current employee, as well as to prospective employees and students, that provides a detailed disclosure of information regarding campus security practices (including Emergency Response Plan, Timely Warnings, Emergency Warnings, Missing Persons, fire safety policies, fire prevention data, and Crime Log policies), as well as crime and fire-related incident statistics for the preceding year. The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at lynn.edu/securityreportFor your health, Lynn University is now smoke- and tobacco-free. Lynn Universityhttps://lynnedu.applicantpro.com