Ethnic Studies/History Instructor (One or More)
Link to job brochure::
Full-Time FacultyJob Close Date::
P0018545Job Opening ID::
Ethnic Studies/History Instructor (One or More)Department:
History, Humanities, and Philosophy(IVC) (IVC-074-034)Term::
10 Months/YearPay Basis::
Monthly% of Range::
100Hours per week::
36Receives benefits: :
10-Irvine Valley CollegeMinimum Qualifications::
The successful candidate must meet one of the following criteria:
1. Bachelor’s degree in history from an accredited college or university;
Master’s in the ethnic studies field from an accredited college or university;
Master’s in American Studies/Ethnicity, Latino Studies, La Raza Studies, Central American Studies, Latin American Studies, Cross Cultural Studies, Race and Ethnic Relations, Asian-American Studies, or African-American Studies from an accredited college or university;
see Interdisciplinary Studies
2. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
3. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above (Applicants applying on the basis of equivalency must submit the Supplemental Application for Equivalency Determination form in addition to all other required materials).
• Minimum of two (2) years of teaching experience at the college level.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of community college students.
• Ph.D. preferred in American Ethnic Studies or related field OR the equivalent from an accredited college or university; or significant work beyond Master’s degree in the subject areas in the teaching areas listed below (Specialized and Secondary Fields)(Specialization and Secondary Fields) Specialization: Ethnic Studies; Critical Race Theory; and /or Racial and Ethnic Relations in the United States.Secondary Field(s): Race and ethnicity in modern United States History; 19th or 20th century United States History; Chicanx Studies; Chicanx History; La Raza Studies; African American Studies; and/ or African American History.
• Approach teaching through the application of intersectionality and other critical theory perspectives.
• The applicant should approach race in United States History from multidisciplinary and/or interdisciplinary approaches.
• Balance excellent teaching and curriculum development with campus service.
• Demonstrate interest in mentoring underrepresented students, supporting community work and IVC’s initiatives as an federally-recognized Minority Serving Institution, and actively advising student clubs (such as, Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano/a de Aztlan [MEChA], the Black Student Union, the Womxn of Color Collective, the Puente Program, etc.)
Primary duties include teaching survey courses in introductory Ethnic Studies courses, with a secondary assignment teaching survey courses in the modern U.S. History series, and in any of the following areas: African American History, Chicanx Studies, Chicanx History, Race and Gender in the United States, Racial and Ethnic Relations in the United States. This teaching position may include both day and evening classes, in-person and online classes, and program coordination responsibilities. May assume Department Chair responsibilities, contingent on department need. Participate in curriculum development of transfer courses to 4-year universities, such as CSU and UC. Develop the Ethnic Studies Program, AA and transfer degrees. Serve with other full-time Humanities faculty as a resource person in the History Department for part-time faculty and for the college at large. Participate in Humanities Program responsibilities including, but not limited to, program development and review, Student Learning Outcomes assessment and review, and course coordination. Serve on college-wide committees and work with other departments and community partners to improve student success. Maintain professional currency in the field of Ethnic Studies.Additional Position Information::
This position requires a teaching philosophy statement.Assignment Type::
Full Time, Tenure TrackPermanent link to posting: