About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Maintainer I
State Job Title: Maintainer I
Department: Environmental Services
Job Code: H09X08
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Bargaining Unit: AFCME
Job Type: Full-Time
Timeframe: 52 Weeks
Shift: Saturday-Wednesday 3 p.m. -11 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Thursday and Friday
There will be two positions filled from this posting with the exact schedule/shift
Supervision Received: Receives direct supervision from a Maintainer II, Maintainer III, Staff Assistant, Associate Director of Environmental Services, or Maintenance Working Foreman.
Supervision Exercised: None
Maintainers stand and walk for prolonged periods of time; lift and carry heavy objects; work outdoors in all types of weather; work varied shifts, weekends, holidays or nights; are exposed to the hazard of wet, slippery floors; work under exposure to the hazards to chemicals, toxic and noxious fumes, dust, excessive heat, high noise levels, high volume traffic conditions and high voltage wires; work from ladders and scaffolds; and may be required to climb trees and operate motor vehicles.
General Statement of Duties:
Performs specific cleaning tasks in all campus buildings, including dusting rooms and objects within rooms; washing walls, windows, floors, soiled equipment and objects; cleaning and stocking bathrooms; stripping and refinishing hard surface floors; deep cleaning soft floors/furniture; insuring proper use of cleaning chemicals and equipment; moving furniture/appliances; making general repairs of a simple nature to buildings and equipment; removing snow and performing grounds keeping tasks.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Routinely cleans campus property, such as offices, restrooms, bathrooms, corridors, public spaces, gymnasium and other athletic facilities, classrooms and laboratories, student apartments and rooms, auditoriums, store rooms, stairwells, elevators, etc.
- Cleans above areas and contents in a systematic and consistent manner as prescribed by departmental procedures and within the standards prescribed.
- Locates weaknesses in cleanliness, such as dirt and stains, in assigned area and takes corrective actions.
- Cleans sidewalks, collects and hauls debris from around buildings.
- Shovels snow from sidewalks, ramps, entry areas, roofs, etc.
- Makes general repairs of a simple nature, including minor repairs to university buildings.
- Prepares work orders for repairs and to correct deficiencies.
- Assists in maintaining the security of buildings by locking and unlocking areas; reports unusual or suspicious situations to public safety.
- Changes light bulbs and fluorescent tubes, ceiling tiles, window treatments, screens and performs other light maintenance.
- Uses and maintains environmental services department equipment to assure good condition; makes basic repairs as needed.
- Reports to supervisors regarding activities completed, supplies needed, and pending issues.
- Provides on-campus moving services of university-owned furniture and equipment.
- May exercise functional supervision over part-time, temporary, or summer employees.
- May transport and erect temporary signage.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules, regulations and policies, procedures, specifications , standards and guideline governing assigned unit activities.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships.
- Ability to deal tactfully with others.
- Ability to stand or walk, for prolonged periods of time.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
- Manual dexterity (ability to perform repetitive tasks requiring continuous use of hands and arms).
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Knowledge and understanding of departmental, University, and state rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines relating to area of assignment and ability to apply them to unit activities.
- Knowledge of the standard procedures followed in the storage of building custodial and cleaning materials.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand tools used in building maintenance such as pliers, hammers, wrenches, etc.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Valid Driver's License.
License and/or Certification Requirements:
Valid Driver's License.
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin December 23, 2020. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=127009&CNTRNO=8&TSTMP=0
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency