Custodian I (Multiple Positions)
Tucson, AZ USAPosition Highlights:
Hiring for various weekend and weekday shifts. Shifts start at 6:00 a.m., 6:30 a.m. and 7:00 a.m.
The Custodian position, reporting to a Custodial Area Supervisor, provides essential work at Housing & Residential Life and plays an essential role in assuring a healthy, safe and comfortable environment for our residents. The Custodian position is considered essential to our housing operations as it is part of a team responsible for providing professional housekeeping services in the dorms. This team is responsible for the elevated cleaning standards set in place due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This is a fast-paced, setting where specific job assignments, shifts and locations may be adjusted within our facilities as necessary to meet the department’s needs.
This position involves lifting and/or carrying heavy objects and requires movement around the assigned buildings. It will require going up and down stairs throughout the day, as well as working in a variety of weather conditions. All custodian positions are expected to wear non-slip shoes as part of their uniforms. In some cases, this position may require driving University vehicles and/or golf carts.
Our housekeeping operations are in compliance with all Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended guidelines including enhanced cleaning and disinfecting practices, following social distancing protocols and providing our staff members with gloves and masks to keep themselves and our residents safe.
Note: The University of Arizona is committed to the success of its employees and offers a variety of benefits and services to support the diverse family needs of faculty and staff members during the current pandemic.
Outstanding UA benefits include health,dental, and vision insurance plans; life insurance and disability programs;paid vacation, sick leave, and holidays; UA/ASU/NAU tuition reduction for theemployee and qualified family members; state and optional retirement plans;access to UA recreation and cultural activities; and more!
The University of Arizona has been recognized for our innovativework-life programs. For more information about working at the University ofArizona and relocation services, please click here.Duties & Responsibilities:
- Performs routine custodial tasks perestablished schedules and housekeeping standards; this includes but is notlimited to: dusting, wet mopping, vacuuming, removing trash, cleaning stairs,washing walls, cleaning windows and window coverings, cleaning and polishingmirrors and furniture
- Strips and refinishes floors, shampooscarpets and upholstery
- Cleans bathrooms shower stalls,toilets, glass, mirrors and walls using housekeeping chemicals
- Restocks bathrooms with necessarymaterials
- Moves sofas, chairs, tables, desks andbeds to accomplish cleaning tasks and to perform occasional special projects
- Participates in training activities asscheduled
- Performs related duties as part of aproject team; typically during summer months and semester breaks.
- Communicates effectively and professionally in the workplace
- Reports problems, incidents, damages or building repairs needed and asdirected by supervisors and maintains necessary records
- Properly handles and disposes ofrecycling materials and follows instructions regarding the use of chemicals andsupplies and use as directed
- Provides quality customer service tostaff, students and campus visitors
- Uses computer to check emails, takerequired University trainings, etc.
- Performs additional duties as assignedor required to meet Housing & Residential Life and University goals andobjectives
- Ability to climb stairs, lift equipment, twist, pull and/or bend numerous times throughout the day
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to work outdoors in the heat and/or cold when necessary
- Ability to operate of carpet cleaning and floor cleaning equipment such as buffers, extractors, scrubbers, and power washers
- Basic computer skills required to check emails, take required University trainings, etc.
- High school diploma or equivalent, or equivalent learning attained through experience
- Housing & Residential Life is a security sensitive department and this position requires a finger-print criminal background check
- Motor Vehicle Division check
- One year of custodial experience in a commercial or institutional setting
- Experience working with housekeeping chemicals and equipment and their use
- Valid Driver’s License and ability to drive according to the University Fleet Safety Policy
Non-ExemptFull Time/Part Time:
Full TimeNumber of Hours Worked per Week:
Facilities, Grounds and InfrastructureBenefits Eligible:
Yes - Full BenefitsRate of Pay:
1Career Stream and Level:
Facilities Mgmt & ServicesJob Function:
Facil, Grounds, & InfraType of criminal background check required::
Fingerprint criminal background check (security sensitive due to title or department)Number of Vacancies:
5Target Hire Date:
1/4/2021Expected End Date:
Contact Information for Candidates:
12/11/2020Open Until Filled:
YesDocuments Needed to Apply:
ResumeSpecial Instructions to Applicant:
At the University of Arizona, we value our inclusive climate because we know that diversity in experiences and perspectives is vital to advancing innovation, critical thinking, solving complex problems, and creating an inclusive academic community. As an Hispanic-serving institution, we translate these values into action by seeking individuals who have experience and expertise working with diverse students, colleagues, and constituencies. Because we seek a workforce with a wide range of perspectives and experiences, we provide equal employment opportunities to applicants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or genetic information. As an Employer of National Service, we also welcome alumni of AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service programs and others who will help us advance our Inclusive Excellence initiative aimed at creating a university that values student, staff and faculty engagement in addressing issues of diversity and inclusiveness.