Chemistry Instructor (One or More)
Link to job brochure::
Full-Time FacultyJob Close Date::
02/01/2021Open Until Filled:
P0001614Job Opening ID::
Chemistry Instructor (One or More)Department:
10 Months/YearPay Basis::
Monthly% of Range::
100Hours per week::
36Receives benefits: :
10-Irvine Valley CollegeMinimum Qualifications::
For this position, employees must have at least one of the following:
1. Master’s degree or higher in chemistry from an accredited college or university; OR
2. Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or biochemistry AND a Master’s degree or higher in biochemistry, chemical engineering, chemical physics, physics, molecular biology, or geochemistry from an accredited college or university; OR
3. Valid California Community College instructor credential appropriate to the subject per Education Code 87355 (issued prior to July 1, 1990); OR
4. A combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent of items 1 or 2 above.
• Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Minimum of two semesters of recent experience teaching Introductory Chemistry or Chemistry courses designed for allied health science and non-science majors.
• Evidence of strong commitment to remain current in Chemistry, may include recent research experience.
• Demonstrated skills in communicating effectively, both written and orally, with students and colleagues.
• Evidence of ability to implement innovative, high quality chemistry curriculum for undergraduate courses, may include computer technology in the classroom.
• Evidence of ability to adapt to changes in curriculum and to design new and appropriate laboratory experiments
• History of active leadership and mentorship, either in a collegiate setting or in a professional organization
• Ph.D. in chemistry from a US accredited institution or equivalent is highly desirable.Desired Qualifications::
Preference will be given to those candidates demonstrating a high level of professional expertise on the basis of:
• Minimum of four semesters of recent experience teaching Introductory Chemistry, Chemistry courses designed for allied health science and non-science majors, or General Chemistry to include lecture and laboratory at the college level.
• Evidence of sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.Summary of Duties and Responsibilities::
• Instruct lecture and laboratory courses in introductory chemistry or introduction to general, organic, and biochemistry.
• Additional assignment may include teaching other chemistry courses such as general chemistry and organic chemistry.
• Promote appropriate safety practices in the laboratory.
• Provide leadership in the development of a comprehensive chemistry curriculum.
• Participate in program review process and student learning outcome process.
• Assist with the development and operation of appropriate instructional facilities and related interdisciplinary programs.
• Comply with all SOCCCD, IVC, and Chemistry Department policies with regard to participation in general faculty functions related to the educational program, staff development/flex-calendar activities, committee work, and departmental and school meetings.
• Maintain formal office hours.
• Perform necessary clerical and administrative tasks in a timely manner.
• Assume a leadership role in the intellectual growth and academic success of a diverse student population through the careful preparation of course materials and the employment of effective teaching methodologies.
• Assignment may include day, evening, or weekend hours.
Full Time, Tenure TrackPermanent link to posting: