Department Director, Digital Art & Animation
Provide leadership and management of the assigned academic department’s programs at the college with a keen focus on the growth of student enrollment, student retention, and operational efficiency. Responsibilities include creation and implementation of new learning initiatives, directing the development and revision of course offerings, supervision and mentoring of faculty, recruiting and mentoring students, assistance with career placements for students, overseeing assessment, planning, scheduling of courses and staff, and coordination and collaboration with Cogswell’s other programs and administration. Another responsibility is to ensure that curriculum content is reflective of the employment skills needed by the industry.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Grow and develop the department creating initiatives & collaborating with other departments to recruit, market, and support students.
• Recruit, hire, supervise, and mentor faculty members appropriate to the needs and goals of the department
• Manage and evaluate the instructional performance of department faculty
• Train and develop a pool of qualified adjunct instructors by directing searches for faculty positions as needed
• Direct the development and implementation of industry-relevant and high academic quality new curriculum, departmental course offerings, and activities
• Work within budgetary expectations to maximize resources
• Collaborate with companies and Career Services to assist students with job placement.
• Provide advice and mentorship to students currently in the department’s programs
• Monitor student performance within the department for students at risk of dropping and provide support as appropriate to increase student retention
• Monitor registration, assist students with registration, and follow up with students not yet registered
• Work with students to resolve obstacles to full-time attendance
• Evaluate transcripts of prospective students as needed by the Registrar and Admissions Office
• Ensure the academic quality and growth of the department and its programs
• Create, implement, and direct an assessment plan for the programs in the assigned department in coordination with the Director of Institutional Research and Effectiveness.
• Create and maintain an active Industry Advisory Board for the department’s programs
• Build and maintain community and industry relationships, particularly ones that lead to project partnerships, internships, and student job opportunities
• Coordinate and oversee course scheduling and faculty teaching assignments
• Ensure all classes have up-to-date, relevant syllabi and current Canvas shells
• Contribute to key college-wide and Faculty Senate committees and participate in student success initiatives
• Participate in college professional development activities
• Teach 1-3 classes per term (varies by the department based on program enrollments)
• Hold all-student meetings to inform students of developments and receive student feedback
• Work within all expectations as stated in the Faculty Handbook including maintaining a regular presence on campus and during office hours
• Other related projects and service to the college as needed
Master’s degree (Doctorate preferred) in the academic field of the assigned Department’s Programs. A Masters or Doctoral degree outside the field will be considered with appropriate industry experience.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Minimum five years of significant, proven excellence in the field (Industry experience including 5 or more films animations, or commercial products credited and delivered)
• Successful college-level teaching experience: teaching 3D Animation, Character Rigging, 3D modeling and/or other related courses
• 3 or more credited feature animated films or TV commercials working as a Character Animator or Character Rigging Artist
• Portfolio or demo reel showcasing creative skills and a strong understanding of 3D pipeline
• Experience in a senior management role or program management area
• Thorough understanding of the industry and field of study
• Understanding of career and employment objectives of graduates in the field
• Experience with project-based learning and pedagogy
• Experience developing and implementing curriculum
• Understanding of collegiate accreditation
• Familiarity with FERPA and related educational compliance regulations
• Understanding of diverse student needs and a commitment to inclusivity
• Excellent organizational skills
• Ability to meet deadlines and to juggle multiple, important priorities
• Strong verbal, written, and listening skills
• Ability and willingness to discern and meet the needs of students
• Ability to establish interpersonal rapport and relate to individuals from a wide range of backgrounds and cultures
• Strong computer skills including the ability to collect and analyze information
• Competent with Microsoft Office Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• Ability to work with others in a collegial and productive manner
This job operates in a professional office environment with extensive people interaction. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets, and office machines.
Occasional evening and weekend work. Extended or non-traditional hours occasionally required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods; use hands and reach with hands and arms for such activities as keyboarding.