Senior Director of Maintenance and Operations
Job no: 498178
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Custodial/Facilities, Trades, At-Will, Full Time
The Senior Director of Maintenance & Operations is responsible for the leadership, administration, management, and supervisory oversight of all services and functions of the Maintenance & Operations unit within Facilities Development & Operations. The unit provides for the operation and maintenance of campus buildings and utility systems as well as supportive operational functions including fleet management, grounds, custodial, and moving services.
As part of this role, the Senior Director oversees and administers an assigned budget as well as the campus maintenance management and facilities condition assessment systems while playing a pivotal role in the development and execution of priorities as related to ensuring ongoing continuity of operations. This includes establishing strong relationships with campus clientele and driving forward a University first and customer focused approach to all work efforts. Additionally, the Senior Director leads efforts related to planning and overseeing deferred and major maintenance projects while advancing carbon neutrality goals and ensuring a resilient campus infrastructure. The Senior Director has direct responsibility to implement agreements with campus entities as related to the provision of maintenance and operation services. The Senior Director also participates with other senior managers to develop, establish, and implement Department strategic and operational plans and initiatives.
The Maintenance & Operations unit of Facilities Development & Operations provides services to a University campus spread across five sites comprised of +170 acres, 52 buildings, and more than six million gross square feet. Maintenance & Operations employees approximately 250 full time permanent staff and up to an additional nine part time, seasonal, or contract staff.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Provides management and oversight for all maintenance and operational services including the following functions: carpentry, plumbing, lock, painting, electrical, and HVAC/building control system services, central plant and utility services, automotive services, grounds services, custodial services, refuse and recycling services, and moving services.
- Leads and oversees implementation of a maintenance management system to assign, track, prioritize, plan, schedule, and manage deployment of resources required to implement service plans, properly steward physical assets, and maintain responsiveness to campus needs. This includes development and management of a preventative maintenance program designed to ensure lifecycle achievement for all physical assets.
- Leads, oversees, and ensures development of work processes to support a fully coordinated completion of routine and emergency maintenance needs, and customer service calls and work requests based on a prioritized deployment model including standards for customer engagement.
- Integrate and direct the efforts and results of Managers, Supervisors, staff and contractors engaged in the general maintenance and repair of University buildings, utilities distribution and monitoring systems, and related infrastructure as well as those services related to grounds, automotive, custodial, refuse/recycling, and moving.
- Directly responsible for development of capital renewal, deferred maintenance, and major maintenance multi-year plans using an evidence-driven planning processes, strategies to maximize resources, and an approach ensuring timely and cost-effective implementation.
- Oversees development and implementation of comprehensive policies, procedures and performance standards associated with operational units and functional responsibilities.
- Directly responsible for the astute management of assigned budgets and resources including monitoring, tracking, analysis, and forecasting efforts necessary for successful performance.
- Oversees personnel management and administration for over 250 employees including hiring, retention, performance, corrective and/or disciplinary action, and resolution of issues while working closely with the Business & Administrative Services unit and University Personnel.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge as required to lead and oversee a large facilities maintenance organization, including but not limited to: interior and exterior building systems, interior and exterior utility systems and infrastructure including power generation, facility automation, access control, and energy management systems, exterior hardscape and landscape infrastructure, custodial maintenance, fleet operation and management, and refuse and recycling.
- Strong knowledge of engineering requirements and programs related to facilities operation, utility design and construction including an ability to troubleshoot and creatively resolve unanticipated challenges which may arise.
- Strong knowledge of maintenance and repair project planning and management principles including skills which result in successful project performance related to scope identification, budget and schedule performance, and quality control.
- Demonstrated record of successful financial planning, budgeting, and fiscal management including the ability to manage multi-functional and diverse programs of significant budgetary impact.
- Demonstrated experience developing and implementing a strong customer service approach to work efforts while motivating staff in a challenging environment.
- Extensive knowledge of personnel management including interacting effectively with many levels of personnel, providing sound analysis and guidance to supervisory staff concerning disciplinary actions and employee/labor relations issues, performance management, dispute resolution, and team development.
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of public contracting requirement and skills required to develop and analyze proposals and negotiate favorable business terms.
- Ability to effectively interpret, organize and present information, ideas and concepts in written or presentation format and use consultative, collaborative and facilitation skills to obtain decisions required to move forward toward implementation.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, facilities management, construction management, business or a related field OR which may be obtained through equivalent experience such as might be attained through ten years of supervisory experience, of which a minimum of five years is associated with progressively responsible senior level experience.
- Ten years of supervisory experience and five years of senior leadership experience within a multi-faceted facilities maintenance organization.
- Demonstrated management experience leading and overseeing technical operations and services common to a multi-faceted facilities maintenance organization including resource planning.
- Prefer registration as a Professional Engineer in Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical disciplines.
- Prefer CEFP certification through the Association of Physical Plant Administrators and/or CFM certification through the International Facilities Management Association
- Supervisory experience within a collective bargaining and represented staff environment.
- Experience planning and implementing deferred maintenance and utility infrastructure projects.
- Experience in maintenance and operational management of a State facility, College or University, or other multi-facility complex.
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 8, 2020 through December 22, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 08, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled