Job no: 498515
Work type: Staff
Location: San Diego
Categories: Unit 2 - CSUEU - Health Care Support, Temporary, Full Time
San Diego State University’s Student Health Services strives to provide high-quality, convenient, student-focused medical care in a safe and welcoming environment by actively partnering with our patients to enable them to achieve and maintain healthy lives in support of their personal and academic success.
Student Health Services offers primary medical care and health promotion to students of San Diego State University through a wide range of programs and services. Care is provided by board certified physicians, certified nurse practitioners, and other medical staff including nurses, clinical laboratory scientists, x-ray technologists, medical assistants, and pharmacists. In addition to the basic medical care, Student Health Services offers health education, orthopedics, osteopathic manipulative treatment, and psychiatry.
The Nurse Practitioner is a licensed, highly skilled health care practitioner who provides a wide range of primary health care services within a student health center including assessment, diagnostic, and preventive and health maintenance services. The Nurse Practitioner will work collaboratively with the Lead Physician, other physicians, nurse practitioners, and support staff consisting of registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses, medical assistants, and clinical assistants. The Nurse Practitioner will utilize a variety of Student Health Services ancillary services including radiology, laboratory, and pharmacy, as well as our in-house Dental, Eye and Orthopedic Clinics. They will also be called upon to consult on patients referred to the Student Health Center by the Athletic Medicine Clinic. Incumbents work using established standardized procedures and/or process protocols developed by the Student Health Services staff and managers, and accept direction and change in assignment, work hours, and inactive months (time) as required by the needs of the facility.
For more information regarding Student Health Services, click here.
This is a full-time (1.0 time-base), benefits-eligible, temporary position anticipated to end on or before June 30, 2022 with the possibility of reappointment. This position is designated exempt under FLSA and is not eligible for overtime compensation. Standard SDSU work hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., but may vary based on operational needs. This recruitment is for two positions.
Schedule options include:
- 11 month position paid over 12 months with June off
- 12 month position
Education and Experience
- Academic degree or certificate from an approved college or university-based Nurse Practitioner program or equivalent training and experience as outlined by the California Board of Registered Nursing (BRN)
- Incumbents must be clinically competent in a medical specialty applicable to their position and possess sufficient experience to independently perform the duties of a Nurse Practitioner within that specialty
Licenses and/or Certifications Required
- Possess and maintain a valid California license as a Registered Nurse and a BRN certificate evidencing that the individual is qualified to use the title of Nurse Practitioner, as required by the California Board of Registered Nursing
- Must possess and maintain a valid BRN Furnishing Certificate
- Must possess and maintain a valid DEA number and certificate
- Minimum of one year of progressively responsible professional nurse practitioner experience with demonstrated capability to carry out the responsibilities of the position
- Current certification in CPR/AED from American Red Cross or American Heart Association
- Advanced degree
- Possess the ability to effectively direct, plan, and organize the work of others
- Possess the ability to assess, plan, develop, implement, and evaluate a clinical program
- Experience in splinting and/or casting
- Ability to work cooperatively in a team setting with good interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to perform patient triage and handle emergent and/or potentially critical situations with speed, accuracy, and diplomacy
- Possess computer skills in both practice management and electronic health records
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other health center staff
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary upon appointment not expected to exceed $9,409 (12 months), $8,625 (11 months).
CSU Classification Salary Range: $4,742 – $10,797 per month. Salary placement is determined by the education, experience, and qualifications the candidate brings to the position, internal equity, and the hiring department’s fiscal resources.
San Diego State University offers a rich benefits package that constitutes a major portion of total compensation. For more information regarding SDSU benefits, please click here.
First review of the required application materials, including cover letters and resumes, will begin on June 8, 2021. Applications review will continue until the two positions have been filled.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
San Diego State University is not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (e.g., H-1B visa). Applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Offers of employment are contingent upon the presentation of documents that demonstrate a person's identity and authorization to work in the United States, which are consistent with the provisions of the Immigration Reform and Control Act.
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for the position.
SDSU is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click here.
SDSU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status, age, disability, pregnancy, medical condition, or covered veteran status.
Applicants with disabilities and applicants who require assistance completing an application may contact Casie Martinez at [email protected] or 619/273-3343.
Advertised: May 24, 2021 (5:00 AM) Pacific Daylight Time
Applications close: Open until filled