Apprenti is a registered apprenticeship program for the tech industry powered by the WTIA, Washington’s tech industry association. Apprenti trains future tech workers with an emphasis on underrepresented groups including women, minorities, and veterans. Apprentices typically receive three to five months of full-time training followed by one year of paid on-the-job training with one of the program’s hiring partners. The program is funded by the U.S. Department of Labor, corporate and private funders. More information about Apprenti can be found at ApprentiCareers.org. Apprenti is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization.
Under the supervision of the National Director of Education, the Principal Instructor will play a key role in developing and delivering training programs that are not available through our existing external training provider partners. This individual will have overall responsibility for curriculum development and delivery, as well as coordination of additional teaching staff. The Principal Instructor will not directly supervise other instructors, but does play a senior role on that team; staff supervision duties do include management of teaching assistants (1 FTE initially, growing with program over time). It is essential that the Principal Instructor have both teaching and recent industry experience. In order to protect the proprietary course materials of our existing training providers, this position will have minimal contact with Apprenti programs other than those developed by the instructional team.
• Develop curricula and complete course materials for identified instructional programs for a mid-2021 launch; oversee and coordinate curriculum development work of other instructors; maintain currency of existing curricula (30%)
• Deliver instruction to apprentice cohorts using virtual delivery tools (web conferencing, learning management systems, GitHub portfolios, and other tools as appropriate); provide backup coverage to other instructors as needed due to illness or other absences (40%)
• Administrative coordination of instructional program activities under supervision of the National Director of Education; staff supervision of teaching assistants (15%)
• Coordinate data analytics and feedback with Education Research Manager for program iteration and continuous quality improvement (5%)
• Other duties as assigned (10%)
• Previous teaching experience in technology industry subject matter (adult education preferred; primary/secondary instruction also considered)
• Prior work experience within the past 10 years in the technology sector in a role relevant to software development
• High competence in Java
• Proficiency in at least one other significant programming language (Python preferred; C# or others also of interest) and/or data language (SQL, AWS, Azure, Salesforce Apex)
• Past experience or demonstrated ability to manage student conflicts, discipline, and advising issues
• Comfort teaching in a virtual environment
• Excellent written and verbal English skills
• Comfort with ambiguity, making decisions with incomplete information, and a high level of adaptability in a fast-paced environment with geographically distributed staff under minimal supervision
• Passion for learning, teaching, and constantly keeping up with industry trends and developments
• Must be authorized to work in the United States without need of future sponsorship
• Graduate degree in a STEM field
• Access to an appropriately professional studio or teaching space; if none available, we will identify coworking space or other appropriate venues
• Experience working with diverse populations, including persons with disabilities, neurodiverse students, and those without traditional educational backgrounds
• Conflict management skills or training
• Instructional design skills, including formatting and layout of assignments and other presentation tools
• Experience and comfort with Canvas, Zoom, and video production/editing software of choice to prepare and manage lecture recordings and sample labs
• Apprenti values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and members of the LGBTQ+ community to apply.
Equal employment opportunity is a fundamental principle in our organization. We are committed to a work environment in which relationships are characterized by dignity and respect. We are committed to nondiscrimination in all business operations.