OPS Library Security Assistant
Job no: 515192
Work type: Temp Part-Time
Location: Main Campus (Gainesville, FL)
Categories: Library/Physical/Social Science
Department:55000000 - UNIVERSITY LIBRARIES
OPS Library Security AssistantJob Description:
The George A. Smathers Libraries are seeking to hire Library Security Assistants to ensure a safe, welcoming, and secure environment for University of Florida students, staff, and visitors. Security Assistants will work at a variety of branches within the Libraries system, including the Architecture and Fine Arts Library, Education Library, Health Science Center Libraries, Library West, Marston Science Library, and Smathers Library. Security Assistants are a part of the public face of the Smathers Libraries and are responsible for professional and positive interactions with all visitors, staff, volunteers, and contractors, while monitoring for safety. Professional behavior and appearance is required.
Full training regarding the work expected, library procedures, and guidelines for dealing with patrons and security/compliance issues will be provided by the Libraries upon hire. Assistants will greet patrons at the entrance desks and inform guests of our policies, as well as complete regular patrols and security checks to enforce library conduct policies and guidelines related to COVID-19, such as face masking, physical distancing, and no food/drink.
Additional responsibilities including providing directional assistance to users, preparing the building for opening, and clearing the floors and securing the facility upon closing. Security Assistants will respond to facilities issues and problems, along with emergency situations, and communicate these to branch supervisors and other library personnel.
Hours of operation vary by branch and may be viewed at https://ufl.libcal.com/hours. Regular weekly schedules will be set at the beginning of the semester, but may be subject to change. Work hours could include any hours the buildings are open plus additional time after closing. Security Assistants will be primarily assigned to a single branch location, but may work at other branches as needed.
Specific duties include
- Greet patrons at the entrance points of library buildings. Verify patron identification, inform patrons of library policies, and monitor building capacity statistics.
- Monitor and record patron compliance with library conduct guidelines, issue reminders to users as appropriate, and report repeat issues of noncompliance to supervisors.
- Communicate with library staff and faculty, as well as the University of Florida Police Department, to address and report security concerns and disruptive incidents.
- Prepare building for opening and secure building at closing.
- Perform routine patrol of library spaces. Building rounds are conducted at least hourly.
- Gather statistics and report on patron compliance with established policies.
- Provide exemplary customer service to library patrons, and provide general and directional information about the Libraries and the UF Campus.
- Maintain knowledge of library user conduct guidelines, and monitor changes to these guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical and Environmental Conditions
- Work environment is mostly indoors and air-conditioned; however, since locations are spread across the UF main campus, Library Security Assistants may have to commute between branches regardless of weather conditions.
- Assistants will routinely patrol the buildings on all floors; some buildings have multiple floors, and the ability to climb up to 6 flights of stairs is required.
- Library Security Assistants must be able to remain standing or walking for up to 8 hours.
- Face masks and hand sanitizer are made available to all employees while working in the library. Clear plastic barriers are installed at the entrance and service desks, and workflows have been adapted to maintain physical distancing guidelines during all shifts.
- Assistants may have to deal with aggressive and disruptive behavior, and must practice de-escalation techniques.
- Parking decals to park on campus can be purchased from UF's Transportation and Parking Services (https://taps.ufl.edu/). RTS bus service is free to all UF employees with a valid Gator1 ID card.
HOURS: 12 positions will be hired, for a maximum of 40 hours per week and a minimum of 13 hours per week. Shifts cover all building operating hours, seven days per week, including nights and weekends. Shifts may begin as early as 7:15am, or end as late as 1:15am. Available schedules will be shared with qualified applicants prior to the initial phone interview.
LENGTH OF EMPLOYMENT: January 11 through August 15,2021. Possibility of continuation is dependent on need and fundingExpected Salary:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Ability to climb up to six flights of stairs, and remain standing or walking for up to 8 hours.
- Customer service experience in a high traffic, public context.
- Punctuality, and ability to clearly communicate unexpected or emergency changes to scheduled hours.
- Sound judgment; experience interpreting established policies and ability to refer problems to higher supervision when appropriate.
- Experience communicating effectively with a diverse population, and experience expressing policies and regulations, both orally or in written/email form, with courtesy and tact.
- Experience from previous jobs or service activities working with individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientations, and perspectives.
- Ability to work independently, and to effectively organize daily work under general supervision.
- Ability to work as part of a team and to project a positive attitude.
- Experience with and/or training in de-escalation strategies for dealing with difficult situations.
- Knowledge of basic first aid, or First Aid/AED certification.
- Previous experience in a security role.
Special Instructions to Applicant:
- Applicants should provide a list of three references from previous jobs or service activities, including their contact information (phone and email address), and relationship to the applicant (supervisor, co-worker).
- Availability to work through the entirety of the Spring 2021 semester (through April 30, 2021) is expected.
Close Date: This posting will remain open through the course of the Spring 2021 semester, in the event that other positions become available.
This is a time-limited position.Health Assessment Required:
Advertised: 12 Mar 2021 Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled