Assistant Professor (Information Security & Applied Computing)
Salary: Depends on Qualifications
Job_Type: Full Time
Location: Main Campus
The School of Information Security & Applied Computing (SISAC) in the College of Engineering and Technology at Eastern Michigan University invites applications for a tenure-track position in Information Security beginning fall 2021. SISAC, as a designated Center of Academic Excellence in Information Assurance & Cyber Defense (IACD) Education by National Security Agency, offers undergraduate degree programs in IACD and Information Technology (IT), and a Master's degree in Cyber Security as well as a doctoral degree in Technology with concentration in Cyber Security.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Teach undergraduate and graduate courses that fulfill the SISAC curriculum goals and objectives; develop and maintain curriculum; participate in services to support the mission of the school, the university, and the community. The candidate is expected to remain active in research and scholarly activities including developing externally funded research programs.
Perform related Departmental duties as required.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between EMU and the EMU Chapter of the American Association of University Professors, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
• An earned Ph.D. in Information Security, Information Technology, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a closely related field, completed before employment and by August 16, 2021.
• The successful candidate must have effective communication skills and a desire to engage in excellent teaching with evidence, demonstrated ability, or potential to deliver high-quality instruction in Information Security, Information Technology, and Applied Computing disciplines.
• Demonstrated research potential in terms of attracting external funding, publications in scholarly journals and conferences, advising students when applicable at various levels along with the desire and vision to continue a strong research agenda.
Preference will be given to the candidate who has experience/interest in one or more of the following areas:
• Software Development and Security including Web-Server Development, Cryptography, Digital and Network Forensics;
• Embedded Systems Security including Cyber-Physical Systems Security, Hardware Oriented Security, and Deeply Embedded Hardware and PCB Security;
• Connected and Autonomous Vehicle Security including Decentralized Secure Architectures, i.e. Block-chain and AI based Techniques;
• Wireless, Mobile, Virtualization and Cloud Computing and Security;
• Internet of Things (IoT) Development and Security (i.e. Smart Power Grid, Smart Buildings, and Smart Health Systems);
• Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning;
• Data Science and Big Data Analytics.
This is an eight-month appointment position. EMU offers competitive salaries and a generous benefits package.
Application materials should include 1) letter of application, 2) curriculum vitae, 3) statement of teaching interest, 4) statement of research interest, and 5) names and contact information of three professional references.
Review of the applications will begin on January 4, 2021, and continue until position is filled.
If contacted, you will be asked to present official transcripts of your highest degree earned at the time of interview.
ALL ATTACHMENTS MUST BE ATTACHED WHEN SUBMITTING THE APPLICATION. THEY CANNOT BE REVISED OR ADDED ONCE THE APPLICATION HAS BEEN SUBMITTED.
Eastern Michigan University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Educator that is strongly
committed to achieving excellence through cultural diversity.
Eastern Michigan University offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance; a TIAA-CREF retirement plan with employer contributions; an outstanding vacation and time off policy; a tuition waiver program and much more.
Click here to view highlights of the University's total rewards program.
For specific information by employment classification, click here to review the Benefits in Brief information.
Notice of Availability of the Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report
The Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report is available online
The report contains information regarding campus safety and security including topics such as: campus law enforcement authority; crime reporting policies; campus alerts (Timely Warnings and Emergency Notifications); fire safety policies and procedures; programs to prevent dating violence, domestic violence, sexual assault and stalking; the procedures the University will follow when one of these crimes is reported; and other matters of importance related to security on campus. The report also contains information about crime statistics for the three most recent calendar years concerning reported crimes that occurred on campus; in On-Campus Student Housing Facilities; in Noncampus buildings or property owned or controlled by the University or a recognized student organization; and on public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, the campus. The report also contains fire statistics for any fires occurring in an On-Campus Student Housing Facility during the three most recent calendar years.
If you would like to receive a paper copy of the Annual Security Report and Annual Fire Safety Report, you can stop by the Department of Public Safety at 1200 Oakwood St. or you can request that a copy be mailed to you by calling 734-487-0892 or emailing [email protected]