Associate Vice President of Budget Planning and Administration
Job no: 498416
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Finance/Accounting, At-Will, Full Time
The Associate Vice President (AVP) of Budget Planning & Administration for SJSU leads a highly skilled team that provides financial leadership to units across all functions of the university. San Jose State is in an exciting era of growth and opportunity under its strategic plan, Transformation 2030, and is actively seeking new resources to realize this vision. The AVP monitors and reports on the university’s financial position – including its auxiliaries - and provides sound council to the Chief Financial Officer and Senior Associate Vice President of Finance & Business Services in matters pertaining to the university’s fiscal health. The breadth of financial matters encountered is comprehensive and complex, and includes five auxiliaries, NCAA Division I athletics, a centralized compensation pool, and an array of revenue-generating relationships. The AVP leads a team of four responsible for critical financial processes such as planning, forecasting, reporting and compliance. Working closely with the Chief Financial Officer, the AVP reports to the Senior Associate Vice President for Finance & Business Services and is a member of the Finance & Business Services Leadership Team. SJSU’s annual operating budget, with its auxiliaries, totals more than $650 million.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Develop and maintain the university’s multi-year financial plan, including future enrollment-based revenues and state support. Stay abreast of the state’s fiscal outlook and ensure SJSU’s financial plan responds accordingly.
- Prepare presentations and reports, including presentations delivered by the CFO.
- Actively participate in enrollment planning discussions, supporting with financial models and ad hoc analyses. Member of the Joint Enrollment Planning group.
- Support the CFO’s financial planning activities by providing background/data/benchmarking on a range of financial issues.
- Guide and influence optimal resource allocation through data-driven financial analysis.
- Build and continually improve financial planning processes and tools, as well as identify and drive new relevant metrics. Lead the implementation of a position budgeting and financial planning enterprise system. Partner with Finance Support to maintain system operations and delivery of enhancements.
- Monitor SJSU strategic plan progress and milestones by building financial measurement metrics for campus initiatives. Measure and track actual results against plan.
- Oversee the annual budget reporting process to the Chancellor’s Office, and coordinate with the Accounting team to provide necessary close requirements, including designation of reserves.
- Develop and administer cost allocation methodologies.
- Oversee centralized compensation and benefits pools, and work with University Personnel and division budget offices to gather information necessary to prepare informed forecasts.
- Develop, recommend and implement new or revised policies and procedures for better controls and efficiencies. Participate in critical analysis of existing systems and processes, identifying and implementing process improvement opportunities.
- Manage, recruit and train a high-performing group of individuals supporting budget planning and financial management functions; perform management duties in compliance with labor contracts.
- Lead and support strategic innovations and change management initiatives.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of financial planning and analysis concepts and approaches
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and governmental fund accounting
- Knowledge of policies and regulations that apply to the California State University
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with demonstrated ability to clearly convey complex financial topics appropriate to the intended audience (senate, cabinet, student groups, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Highly skilled in using technological tools to gather and present data, including: pivot tables, data warehouse applications, visualization and budgeting software.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to effectively establish and maintain cooperative working relationships within a diverse multicultural environment.
- Ability to supervise staff and lead teams.
- Excellent customer service and public relations skills.
- Ability to evaluate compliance with federal, state and California State University policies and regulations
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effective present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, customers and the general public.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent
- Five years of full-time experience in budget planning and management roles in higher education
- Three years of supervisory experience
- Experience preparing budget publications and reports for broad distribution (e.g., annual budget report)
- Experience with budget variance reporting and financial forecasting
- Master’s Degree in Business, Accounting, or Economics
- University-level budget management experience at a California State University or University of California campus
- Experience working with position management (position-based budgeting)
- Experience configuring, optimizing and operating budget systems
- Experience with Activity-Based Budgeting
Classification: Administrator IV
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 2, 2020 through January 3, 2020. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 02, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled