Senior Director, Customer Service
Job no: 498370
Work type: Management (MPP)
Location: San José
Categories: MPP, Administrative, Information Systems & Technology, At-Will, Full Time
The Senior Director for Customer Service reports to the VP/CIO, IT and serves as a member of the Senior IT Leadership Team. The position is responsible for overseeing the IT Service Desk, Desktop Support, Labs, Classroom Technology and Support, Access Management and the campus Workstation Refresh Program.
The incumbent is responsible for defining the strategy and roadmaps for customer service support with a focus on service management and end-user satisfaction; identifying and implementing industry aligned metrics to improve service levels and reporting continuously; engaging campus stakeholders to measure success; communicating effectively at all levels to ensure solutions are appropriately utilized; and representing the Division of Information Technology in various collaborative campus and external venues, leveraging them as additional input sources for planning.
This is a position in the CSU - Management Personnel Plan (MPP), and serves at the pleasure of the President. This position will require adherence to University compliance training such as: Conflict of Interest and Ethics, AB 1825 Sexual Harassment Prevention, Information Security, and Injury and Illness Prevention Program. The person hired for this position may be required to complete an outside employment disclosure statement in accordance with Title V of the California Code of Regulations.
- Provide leadership for the technology directions to meet the vision, mission and needs of IT service requirements to the University.
- Define the strategy and roadmaps for Customer Service, Desktop Support, Service Desk, Labs and Classroom Support, Access Management, and the campus Workstation Program, with focus on service management objectives and customer satisfaction.
- Automate the Workstation Refresh Program and drive future classroom technology designs.
- Actively engage the Senior IT Leadership Team to collaborate on strategic projects and operational alignment with IT application, infrastructure, and security functions.
- Design, manage and deliver desktop support service across campus, (i.e. desktop support, software, personal computers, mobile solutions, network & desktop printers and remote access, device support for scanners, barcode readers, cameras, and printers).
- Oversee support of information systems, end-user/desktop support and desktop related initiatives/projects.
- Provide leadership and managerial oversight for the IT Service Desk function.
- Provide process and procedure design and project management (i.e. managing scope, schedule, and budget control, coordination of campus and vendor resources, and project communication, issues, and risk management).
- Oversee and ensure employees assist with distribution of IPTV Units and Residential Gateways, campus village lab printing, computers and applications, as necessary.
- Facilitate the planning, design and implementation of media technology, classroom technology and services in coordination with peers in IT and other campus divisions.
- Collaborate closely with students, faculty, and staff to deeply understand their needs, issues, and opportunities with their user experience/processes while ensuring all incidents are resolved in a timely and cost-effective manner. Mange escalations to the highest levels of satisfaction.
- Develop and maintain annual workforce plan defining the capacity of roles and necessary skill development to provide defined services within SLA and improve customer satisfaction.
- Recruit, interview, hire, manage and oversee staff to meet the highest level of performance. Ensure the appropriate CSU and SJSU University Personnel, and IT policies and practices are implemented correctly.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Excellent IT customer service leadership.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with executives under high-pressure situations.
- Thorough knowledge of enterprise applications, tools and operating systems, including Windows, Mac OS, MS Office, AD, conferencing systems, file sync and share tools, hardware, networking, firewalls, printers, monitors, scanners, etc.
- Knowledge in streamlining user device support functions.
- Skilled in managing Desktop as a Service.
- Ability to coordinate a large-scale project to completion.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills to establish/maintain customer relationships and interact with team members.
- Ability to supervise and motivate staff.
- Strong organizational, budgetary and time management skills.
- Strong combination of skills in strategic planning, analytical and holistic problem-solving, effective communication and coordination
- Collaborative skills to work effectively with faculty, staff, administrators, and external support resources to develop and implement appropriate uses of technology.
- Ability to understand complex challenges and lead teams of technologists to deploy appropriate technological solutions that meet campus vision and mission.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Desktop/Customer Support operations including emerging technology trends and issues.
- Ability to adhere to deadlines, prioritize multiple projects/tasks simultaneously, and adapt to frequent change, delays or unexpected events.
- Skills in introducing metrics and data as a basis for operational analysis and decision-making.
- Ability to introduce operational discipline into ad hoc process areas.
- Knowledge in process and organizational change management.
- Ability to drive improvements in maturity levels for IT and engineering operations processes.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field
- 10 years of progressive experience in an Information Technology management position
- Minimum of 3 years 2nd level IT management experience
- Demonstrated strong communication and people management skills
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships across multiple constituencies
- Leadership experience in Higher Education
Classification: Administrator III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please see the Employee Benefits Summary.
Click Apply Now to complete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
- Letter of Interest
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: December 1, 2020 through December 15, 2020 This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third-party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Statement
San José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Advertised: December 01, 2020 (9:00 AM) Pacific Standard Time
Applications close: Open until filled