Job location: Harbor Branch (HBOI) Employment Type:
Full-time Posted data:
REQ09485 Apply now to join FAU on its race to excellence. For more information on everything FAU has to offer, please visit www.fau.edu/jobs. Position Summary:
Florida Atlantic University is seeking a Law Enforcement Officer for the Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute (HBOI) campus, Ft. Pierce, FL.
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Provides safety and security presence for university property by application of conscientious vehicle, golf cart and foot patrol functions on a rotating shift basis.
- Performs duties as a gate attendant for HBOI access control at the main entrance.
- Communicates regularly with HBOI Human Resources, employees and associates regarding access to visitors.
- Responds and investigates crimes reported, vehicle accidents, medical emergencies, fires, safety hazards, fire and security alarms received and all other occurrences within the scope of the department’s responsibilities and mission.
- Prepares departmental, county and state forms as required.
- Enforces applicable University policies, traffic and parking services regulations, State Criminal Code and Statutes governing state traffic laws. Issues appropriate citations, student referrals and/or effects arrests as necessary in the performance of these law enforcement duties.
- Renders informational services to members of the University community and visitors, assists motorists experiencing vehicle problems, provides security escort services, and handles traffic control and parking directions for a variety of educational, cultural and athletic events held on campus.
- Conducts security and safety checks of university buildings, housing and university grounds. Secures and opens buildings at scheduled times and upon request of authorized persons. Provides a university crime prevention function during security rounds by advising department of unsafe or unsecured conditions observed.
- Performs all other duties as directed or as necessary which are similar and related assignments.
High school diploma or equivalent and one year of law enforcement experience required.
Selected candidate must meet the requirements of Chapter 943 of the Florida Statutes.
Ability to work in stressful and sometimes hazardous conditions.
Ability to safely operate a patrol vehicle and emergency equipment.
Ability to communicate effectively.
Ability to grasp criminal and traffic laws and to make sound decisions.
Ability to exercise restraint and tact with all members of the University community and the general public.
Ability to physically and mentally satisfy state and departmental training requirements.
Ability to effectively work without direct supervision.
Ability to work well with fellow officers: teamwork concept.Salary:
$25.10 per hourCollege or Department:
Harbor Branch (HBOI)Work Days and Hours:
Varying 8 hour shifts (with majority of shifts being "midnight" - ex: 11 p.m. – 7 a.m. or 12 midnight to 8 a.m.)Application Deadline:
2021-10-05-07:00Special Instructions to Applicant:
Individuals with disabilities requiring accommodation, please call 561-297-3057. 711
Preference in appointment will be given to eligible veterans, spouses of eligible veterans, and certain family members of eligible veterans, in accordance with Florida Statutes, Section 295.07. Please submit your DD214 (Member 4 preferred) showing your dates and character of service with your application as an attachment or fax to 561-297-3915 or scan and email to [email protected]
, prior to the closing date of the position. If faxing your DD214, please also send an email to [email protected]
to notify us that the form was faxed, make sure the email includes your name and the REQ# of the job that was applied to.
Final candidate will be required to have official, sealed transcripts and original NACES evaluation, if applicable, sent from their educational institution to Human Resources prior to the start of employment.
Successful completion of a background check, which may include a motor vehicle check, credit check, fingerprinting or additional screening, is required for the selected candidate prior to the start date.
This recruitment has been reopened; all previous applicants are still under consideration and need not reapply. This position may close without prior notice.