Position SummaryNOTE: CSM accepts resumes for part-time temporary faculty for all areas at all times. There may or may not be a hiring need at this time in your area of interest. When applying for part-time faculty, you are submitting your resume to an applicant pool. Department Chairs access the applicant pool when there is a hiring need. You may follow up on your application by contacting the division directly at 301-934-7843.
The faculty member is responsible for the planning, preparation, presentation, and evaluation of instruction and related activities to promote student-centered learning. The faculty member is responsible for performing assigned duties during the day, evening, or weekend at the campus, center, or clinical location to which the faculty member is assigned.
Primary areas of teaching responsibility include: Medical Assisting.
College of Southern Maryland conducts background checks in order to ensure the safety and well-being of the College's staff and students. The final candidate for this position will be subject to the following background checks: Criminal History Check. This posting is for a continuous recruitment. The College of Southern Maryland is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
At a minimum, the faculty member must be able to perform the following essential job functions with or without reasonable accommodations:Teaching Functions:
- to plan, organize, and instruct courses in the day, evening, or on weekends at the College of Southern Maryland campus, center, or clinical location to which assigned;
- to ensure that assigned classes are held as scheduled; communicating all absences and changes to course schedule to the Course or Program Coordinator;
- to keep active at a high level of expertise in the subjects taught and stimulate enthusiasm for those subjects;
- to plan each unit or lesson, both as to content and method, to make each class meaningful;
- to ensure that each program/class contains essential curricular components, has appropriate content and pedagogy, and maintains currency;
- to teach all classes according to an approved course syllabus and for the required duration;
- to study and utilize students' learning styles in each class in order to facilitate the best teaching and learning situations;
- to incorporate instructional technologies in instructional delivery as appropriate;
- to maximize the learning opportunities for each student;
- to keep students informed and updated concerning course content, requirements, evaluation procedures and attendance requirements;
- to keep students informed about their progress throughout the semester or term through the prompt grading of papers and other work;
- to demonstrate a genuine concern for each student through individual student conferences, as needed.
- to file an appropriate course syllabus for each course taught with the appropriate program coordinator and the HEA administrative assistant;
- to ensure that each course section is web-enhanced;
- to make use of available college online resources in (home page, syllabi posting, grade book, etc.);
- to make use of the college Group Wise email system for professional communication with students, faculty, division chair, and other college personnel with a response time of 48-72 hours
- to keep Course or Program Coordinator informed of any student concerns or conduct violations within 48 hours of the incident
- to maintain accurate and complete scholastic records, including attendance records;
- to conduct class evaluations and complete other college evaluations in accordance with college policy;
- to submit academic reports and other documentation in a timely manner and when appropriate;
- to attend all faculty meetings, college assemblies, professional development and orientation activities, and other meetings as called by the President, Vice President, Associate Vice President, Division Chair, Program Coordinator, or Course Coordinator;
- to become thoroughly familiar with all college policies and procedures and comply with all college policies and procedures;
- to become familiar with the Faculty Handbook;
- to convey college-related information to students in a timely manner as requested by college officials.
- to participate in program and curriculum review and development and student learning outcomes assessment initiatives;
- to recommend textbooks and other instructional materials including classroom and laboratory equipment to the Course Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Division Chair or designee;
- to make suggestions to the Course Coordinator, Program Coordinator, Division Chair, Associate Vice President or Vice President of Academic Affairs concerning the improvement of the curriculum in keeping with the objectives of the college
- to keep informed of current trends and new approaches to instruction via professional development activities, submitting continuing education records to Program Coordinator and/or HEA Administrative Assistant;