Advanced Practice Provider - Pulmonary Critical Care Medicine
Job location: Medical Center (Charlottesville, VA)
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-30
Provides patient care services as part of a healthcare team. Responsible for assessment, diagnosis and implementation of treatment plans. Orders and interprets laboratory and diagnostic tests. Consults with other members of the healthcare team when appropriate. Instructs patients and family members regarding treatment.
• Independently and in collaboration with physician(s) and interdisciplinary team members, provides comprehensive clinical and organizational direction and leadership to the healthcare provider team in the care of patients.
• Performs comprehensive history and physical assessment
• Documents findings noting pertinent normal and abnormal findings
• Orders and interprets the appropriate diagnostic labs and tests
• Forms medical diagnoses based on history, assessment and diagnostic findings
• Develops, implements and evaluates treatment plans
• Prescribes and recommends pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions
• Initiates appropriate specialty consultations referrals when requisite
• Initiates and evaluates clinical pathways and protocols
• Collaborates with Attendings and/or Fellows regarding admissions and community transfers
• Facilitates the timely flow of patients via collaboration with interdisciplinary team members and supports all interdisciplinary relationships
• Recognizes acute/emergent situations requiring immediate responsiveness and initiates life-saving interventions, alerting the interdisciplinary team members for assistance
• Recognizes and incorporates age-specific requirements, communicates plan of care with patients and families
• Advocates for patients and family members in educational needs, treatment options, participation in care and ethical issues and patient rights with recognition and consideration of the diverse needs of the individual/family
• Provides consultation in specialty area
• Maintains confidentiality of patient information
• Coordinates meeting applicable clinical standards for all disciplines in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members
• Explains the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of procedure(s) to patients, patient families, staff and students
• Performs designated procedures after demonstrated competency
• Acts as a clinical resource, utilizing both formal and informal opportunities for the education of other members of the interdisciplinary team.
• Provides education consistent with evidence-based practices and protocols
• Precepts APP students and provides mentoring for other APP’s
• Provides outreach and education to the community and within the Advanced Practice arena
• Coordinates meeting applicable educational standards for all disciplines in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members
• Acts as a role model to colleagues, interdisciplinary team members, the institution and to the community
• Demonstrates respect to all within the institution and community
• Demonstrates leadership abilities in the development, mentorship and empowerment of others within the healthcare community
• Assumes leadership role in the development of the Advanced Practice Role to patients, families, other healthcare professionals and to the community
• Coordinates meeting applicable leadership standards for all disciplines in collaboration with physician(s) and team members
• Meets leadership competency standards
• Participates in, supports and leads quality assurance initiatives, performance improvement, benchmarking initiatives to advance patient care delivery
• Utilizes research and Evidence-Based practice in the delivery of patient care
• Evaluates the implications of access, quality, safety and cost on the delivery of healthcare
• Participates in the development of instruments to measure patient and practice outcomes
• Identifies needs, variations and interventions to ensure and improve quality care
• Maintains compliance and regulatory documentation for the purposes of administration and reimbursement
• Provides expertise in the measurement, development, evaluation and communication of the status and progression of applicable patient care standards
• Participates and contributes to departmental/divisional/institutional initiatives
• Provides input in the annual review of other staff members
• Assists in the development of clinical pathways and protocols
• Participates in accreditation preparedness
• Coordinates meeting applicable performance improvement standards for all disciplines in collaboration with interdisciplinary team members
• Pursues opportunities for active engagement in research and in the analysis of evidence-based practice
• Coordinates meeting applicable research standards for all disciplines and areas of practice
• Maintains professional licensure, DEA registration (as applicable), certification and practice agreements as required by the Virginia Board of Medicine or the Virginia Board of Nursing,national certification organizations, and the institution
• Maintains and demonstrates competencies for designated privileges requested as required for ongoing professional practice evaluation and outcomes
• Maintains Advanced certification(s)
• Pursues educational opportunities for professional growth (CEU/CME, conferences, and or seminars, etc.)
• Serves on appropriate committees in department/division/institution and community
• Participates in/presents at M&M, Grand Rounds, etc.
Education: Master’s Degree as an Advance Practice Provider - Nurse Practitioner or as an Advance Practice Provider - Physician Assistant
Experience: One to two years minimum experience as an Advanced Practice Provider Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant preferred.
Licensure: License or license eligible as an Advance Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) as set forth by the state of Virginia. If Nurse Practitioner, license to Practice as a Registered Nurse in the Commonwealth of Virginia is required. Must demonstrate and maintain all credentialing and licensing requirements of the UVA Medical Center, the Virginia Board of Medicine or the Virginia Board of Nursing, and the appropriate certifying bodies. Must be enrolled with all payers through Delegated Credentialing and can participate in Medicaid and Medicare for billing. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) required. Current PALS/NRP, as required specific to position. Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) as required.
Job requires standing for prolonged periods, frequently traveling/bending/stooping. Proficient communicative, auditory and visual skills; Attention to detail and ability to write legibly; Ability to lift/push/pull 20 - 50lbs. May be exposed to chemicals, blood/body fluids and infectious disease.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.