LAB ANIMAL CARE TECH II
LAB ANIMAL CARE TECH IIPosition Number:
University StaffJob Type:
Maywood-Health Sciences CampusDepartment Name:
COMPARATIVE MEDICINELocation Code:
COMPARATIVE MEDICINE (06121A)Is this split and/or fully grant funded? :
NoDuties and Responsibilities:
- Performs routine husbandry of laboratory animals to include observation of animals, handling and restraint, feeding and watering, changing cages/racks.
- Prepare animal cages, racks and water bottles as needed.
- Provides exercise and enrichment as required by federal regulations.
- Cleans and/or disinfects animal rooms, facility service areas and equipment.
- Maintains various record-keeping tasks in the department.
- Maintains animal census and collects data for billing.
- Processes newly arrived animals, observes for signs of illness and reports to supervisor/manager.
- Assists research investigators in animal restraint and various handling techniques.
- Checks health status of animals and reports abnormalities to supervisor/manager.
- Transports animals, feed, bedding, etc. to designated areas as required.- Performs related duties as assigned.Minimum Education and/or Work Experience:
High School Diploma plus training acquired through work experience or education.
Preferred: Associates degree or equivalent training acquired via work experience or education.
Required: 1-2 years of previous job-related experience
- Ability to follow verbal and written instructions and established procedures.
- Ability to maintain accuracy and consistency.
- Ability to communicate verbally.
- Ability to finish tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Ability to deal calmly and couteously with people.
- Ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Ability to function independently and manage own time and work tasks.
- Ability to work as an effective team member.
- Ability to organize work flow.
Certification from the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level.Computer Skills:
NoRequired operation of university owned vehicles:
NoDoes this position require direct animal or patient contact? :
Lifting, Carrying, Standing, Climbing, Crawling/Kneeling, Repetitive MotionsWorking Conditions:
Lighting, Heating, Ventilation, Odors, Noise, Animals, Infectious Diseases, DangerOpen Date:
11/23/2020Quick Link for Posting: