Assistant Professor of Physics, Tenure Track - External
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Physics, Tenure Track - External
Location: GRCC Main Campus
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 1089
Org Marketing Statement
Schedule: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Compensation: $59,941 (Master’s Degree), $65,241 (Ph.D.)
Reflects Fall 2021 negotiated salary.
Start Date: Fall 2021
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Arts & Science
Closing date: December 7, 2020
The College is interested in faculty who: (1) possess an interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin, and ability; (2) engage in and develop innovative teaching methods; (3) demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for the College. GRCC has an excellent benefits program and the Faculty Association contract provides opportunities to earn additional compensation.
- Teach all levels of physics including introductory, college, and calculus-based physics lectures and labs, and develop plans of instruction for both online and in-person modalities.
- Incorporate instrumentation into the laboratory classroom including the setup of physics labs, maintain existing lab equipment and assist in selecting new lab equipment as needed.
- Develop and implement teaching techniques that employ interactive learning, audiovisual, and computer technology.
- Provide leadership through the coordination of teams of adjunct faculty for both lecture and laboratory courses as needed.
- Advise students on academic programs and careers related to the STEM fields and mentor science majors through independent study and/or honors projects.
- Engage in professional development and continuous improvement related to the field of physics.
- Assist other physics faculty in course and curriculum development, evaluation, and revision, including leading benchmarking efforts for course transferability.
- Participate fully as a member of the Physical Sciences Department in activities such as department meetings, committee membership, cross-campus team membership, textbook selection, assessment projects, and other duties as determined by the College.
- Adhere to the standards and requirements expressed in the Faculty Contract.
- Master’s Degree in Physics or Master’s Degree in a related field with at least 18 graduate credits in Physics required
- Ph.D. in Physics is preferred
- Experience teaching physics at the college or university level is required; a minimum of two years fulltime or equivalent is preferred.Experience teaching physics at the community college level is preferred.
- Experience using multi-media, computers, and demonstrations in lecture and laboratory settings. Experience with the repair and maintenance of common laboratory equipment.
- Appropriate technology required to perform the duties of the position
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.A commitment to serve the Kent County community. Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Travel to offsite locations may be required
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor office environment.
Method of application
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. Submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters for full consideration. The opportunity to apply for this position will close on December 7, 2020. Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Visa sponsorship is not available.
Grand Rapids Community College is committed to a diverse and inclusive work and learning environment. GRCC creates an including learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, height, weight, national origin, disability, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by stated and federal law. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, Mi 49503-3295.