Vice President for Athletics
Locations:: Springfield, MA
Posted:: Nov 30, 2020
Closes:: Open Until Filled
Ref. No.:: 2295
Position ID:: 126667
About American International College:
American International College (AIC) comprises a highly diverse community providing access and opportunity to students from a variety of backgrounds, religions, ethnicities, and countries. AIC serves over 2500 graduate and undergraduate students and offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Education. AIC's mission is to prepare students for personal fulfillment, professional achievement, and civic engagement through educational experiences that transform lives. AIC's academic programs are founded on the knowledge, skills, and values of the liberal arts and are intended to engage students in theory and applied learning, while preparing them for the challenges and opportunities presented in the global environment.
AIC sponsors a total of 24 varsity NCAA teams and one varsity club team. Most compete at the NCAA Division II level; however, the men's ice hockey team is an NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic Hockey Conference. AIC is a member of the Northeast-10 Conference for most of its NCAA Division II offerings. Wrestling is an NCAA Division II Independent. In addition, the College sponsors rugby for both men and women; the men currently compete in the Liberty Conference while the women compete in the National Intercollegiate Rugby Association Conference.
Under the direction of the President, the Vice President for Athletics position offers a unique opportunity to join a collaborative community and help the institution continue to grow through the opportunity to identify, expand, and enhance athletic and academic opportunities for our student-athletes. More specific responsibilities are listed below.
AIC strives to create a diverse and inclusive campus community that is representative, at all job levels, of the students we serve. We are an EEO employer and we welcome applications from individuals for positions where they are underrepresented.
- Lead student-athletes, coaches, and administrative staff under a framework that supports the institutional vision, department goals, student-athlete core values, and conference philosophy. The Vice President is responsible for administrative operations of the athletics department, including, but not limited to: departmental budget; student-athlete recruitment and retention; sports offerings portfolio, including new athletic programs; department culture; strategic oversight; assessment; legal, compliance, and conference matters; athletics marketing and communication; sports information; student-athlete experience; fan experience; facilities management; facilities rentals; game management; and fundraising, including alumni, donor, and sponsorship cultivation.
- Supervise athletics director who has direct oversight of coaches and athletics administrative staff.
- Cooperate and collaborate with the Office of Institutional Advancement on developing and meeting goals relative to alumni development, cultivation and stewardship, major gifts and annual fund, as well as memberships in the Yellow Jackets Club (YJC), and sponsorships.
- Travel for fundraising events or donor meetings with or at the direction of the President or Executive Director for Institutional Advancement.
- In conjunction with the VP for Admissions, develop annual recruitment goals.
- Develop, direct, and monitor team-by-team recruitment and retention strategies with athletics director consistent with achieving annual goals.
- Identify emerging sports opportunities and oversee the development of sports portfolio pro formas in alignment with AIC's vision of providing access, opportunity, and inclusion within our diverse campus population.
- Collaborate with the Office of Academic Affairs and faculty on academic program offerings and academic success of student-athletes.
- Collaborate with the Office of Student Affairs and the Department of Campus Recreation on programmatic elements of intramurals, fitness center, group exercise, and club sports programs, and with the Dexter Wellness Center on matters of student-athlete physical and mental health.
- Assess athletics department staff annually, in conjunction with the athletics director, based on established key performance indicators.
- Review and update the Athletics Vision and strategic priorities on a routine basis. Ensure Athletics Vision is consistent with the College's Strategic Plan regarding enrollment/revenue growth, facilities planning, and new sports development.
- Serve on President's Cabinet.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- Required Degree: Bachelor's degree
- Preferred Degree: Master's degree
- Required Fields of Expertise: Higher education; athletics development/fundraising, strategic planning/vision, alumni cultivation
- Understanding of current and emerging best practices in athletics development and the capacity to adapt these as appropriate at AIC.
- A successful track record of personally cultivating, soliciting, closing, and stewarding gifts.
- Communicates effectively with all levels of the institution and outside constituents.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations. Listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Works collaboratively with students and other college departments.
- Communicates changes effectively.
- Reacts well under pressure. Strong computer skills, analytical skills and well-developed written and oral communication skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; plans for additional resources; develops realistic action plans.
The Vice President for Athletics is a full-time, exempt level, benefits eligible position, not limited to the regular business hours of 8:30am to 4:30pm. The schedule will be flexible to the needs of the department, which will include evenings, weekends, and holidays as required.
AIC reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.
AIC is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Qualified applicants should save and submit the following documents with the online application.
- Brief cover letter
- Current resume
- Contact information for three professional references (one of which must be a current or prior supervisor)
Review of applications will continue until the position has been filled.