Extension Specialist - Manufacturing Technology Specialist
PG190675EPInternal Recruitment :
Extension Specialist - Manufacturing Technology SpecialistAnticipated Hiring Range:
$78,000 - $85,000 commensurate with education and experienceWork Schedule:
M-F; 8am - 5pmJob Location:
North CarolinaAbout the Department:
The Industry Expansion Solutions unit is a major component of the State’s economic development operation by diffusing engineering, science, knowledge and technology to North Carolina industry, business, and public agencies for the enhancement of quality, productivity, and environmental protection. This is accomplished by utilizing professional education and technical assistance that meet the needs of business, industry, and healthcare professionals. Advocating the use of engineering science and technology through best practices promotes corporate growth and the creation of quality products and services.Essential Job Duties:
This position provides front line day-to-day industrial extension contact with NCMEP clients and partners by interacting and providing next generation manufacturing programs for smaller manufacturers as they adapt to US production reshoring and post-pandemic challenges including providing automation/robotics extension services in both public training and client on-site locations. This position will also provide support so that NCMEP may reach its stated short term and long-term goals. This specialist role and time of contract shall be designated under the University’s guidelines for EPA Professional employment.
1. Technical Service: This position provides hands-on technical assistance to clients through service in the form of online/classroom instruction or on-site project facilitation. The Specialist will help provide client solutions through teaching robotics/automation best practices and facilitating client cross-functional teams to successful completion of industry awareness, development and projects. A client contract for services may also be rendered under the University guidelines for agreement.
2. Economic Impact: The Extension Specialist supports the efforts to administer an objective evaluation system that measures the impact of NCMEP programs for the economic benefit of the clients and State. The position supports both the survey process and the production of annual or other reports of program impact that is distributed to stakeholders at the federal, state, and local level. This position may assist with the on-going effort to inform and educate stakeholders about the impacts and value of all the NCMEP programs.
3. Administration: The Extension Specialist has administration duties that include proposals, Salesforce entries, travel expenses, scheduling, and other normal business reports. This position is required to regularly attend necessary meetings and travels as required by the client, Senior Product Leader, Director/Manager and the IES Executive Director. Occasionally may be required to assist with recruiting staff. Maintain a good working level of awareness of all NCMEP/IES programs, industry needs, trends, and best practices.
4. Product Development: The Extension Specialist will be asked to provide input for improvement to current process improvement product offerings as well as support the development of future new product offerings.
5. Relationships: The Extension Specialist will be asked to make direct contact with manufacturers to discuss how automation/robotics and advanced process improvement thinking such as lean manufacturing could be applied in their organizations. This responsibility would include visiting manufacturers and developing recommendations to improve their organizations. The Specialist will be asked to provide training or speeches at local, state, and national conferences. Meetings, presentations, providing services, and reports are required as needed.
This position typically provides front line day to day contact with IES’s clients and partners by interacting and providing IES services in both public and on-site locations.
This position will also provide support so that IES may reach its stated short term and long term goals.
This specialist role and time of contract shall be designated under the University’s guidelines for EPA Professional employment.Minimum Education and Experience:
Bachelor of Science Degree and a minimum of 3 years of successful, related work experience.
Proven track record of accomplishments is required including the ability to establish viable relationships with all the entities named above.
Documented experience in the application of good business practices and ethics is required.Other Required Qualifications:
Demonstrated applied automation/robotics programming and deployment experience in manufacturing is required.
A strong work ethic and a willingness to travel overnight are required.
High proficiency in the use of a personal computer.
Good communication and project management skills are needed.
Documented experience in the application of good business practices and ethics is required.
The physical ability for a wide range of activities is required.
Ability to work self-directed:
—Supervision Received: The Extension Specialist will exercise broad guidance over designated technical product(s) and support activities under the leadership of the Product Area Manager and Senior Leadership using established policy as guidance.
—Discretion and Independent Judgment: The Extension Specialist will exercise discretion and judgment when making a decision. Standard NCSU and IES/NCMEP guidelines, practices and policies will be followed for routine work. Normal and authoritative advice will be sought to insure an informed decision.
Master’s degree preferred.
Ability to provide Lean Six Sigma greenbelt and black belt instruction & certification. Use of Minitab and/or .JMP is a plus.
A working knowledge of other quality management principles, process excellence, and continuous improvement practices together with experience overseeing an organization’s continuous improvement program is a plus.
Experience with customer service, community relations, continuing education, marketing execution, sales, and strategic planning are beneficial.Required License(s) or Certification(s):
Ability to obtain a NC Driver’s License within the first 60 days of starting.Valid NC Driver's License required:
YesCommercial Driver's License required:
NoJob Open Date:
10/29/2020Anticipated Close Date:
Open Until FilledSpecial Instructions to Applicants:
Please attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.Position Number:
EHRA Non-FacultyFull Time Equivalent (FTE) (1.0 = 40 hours/week):
12 Month RecurringMandatory Designation - Adverse Weather:
Non Mandatory - Adverse WeatherMandatory Designation - Emergency Events:
Non Mandatory - Emergency EventIs this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?:
140701 - Industry Expansion SolutionsAA/EOE:
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.