GRI Post-doctoral Fellowship in Spatial Epidemiology/Biostatistics
Present Position Number:
Postdoctoral Research AssociatePosition Title:
GRI Post-doctoral Fellowship in Spatial Epidemiology/BiostatisticsPosition Summary:
The Global Research Institute (GRI) at William & Mary invites applications for a two-year post-doctoral scholar position with a focus on spatial epidemiology and/or biostatistics. This position is designed to strengthen GRI’s research capacity in this research area, increase the diversity of the scholarly community at GRI, provide a mentored learning experience to the post-doctoral fellow, and support and provide additional research opportunities for undergraduate students. The Institute seeks to attract promising researchers and educators from different backgrounds, races, ethnic groups, and other diverse populations whose life experiences and research experiences will contribute significantly to the academic mission of William & Mary and the Institute.
The post-doctoral scholar will support research at GRI and provide mentoring to and manage a group of student researchers, and s/he will receive mentoring from faculty members and/or senior researchers affiliated with the Institute. The post-doctoral fellow will teach one course for each year of the award, and direct a team of undergraduate researchers in both years. In addition to mentorship on the candidate’s ongoing research, s/he will receive mentorship on how to pursue funded research, how to organize an undergraduate research lab, and how to improve his/her classroom teaching.
This is a 12-month position, beginning in Summer 2021 and renewable for a second year.
The successful candidate must:
• have a PhD by the time appointment begins in epidemiology, biostatistics, bioinformatics, health economics, mathematical modelling, spatial analytics, or a closely related quantitative field
• be engaged in research on an international topic with some real-world application (the specific discipline is open)
• have advanced quantitative methods training and ability to work with one or more of the following software programs (e.g., R, Stata, Python, GIS)
• have strong organizational and communication skills
• Experience working collaboratively on large research projects
• Track record of publications in peer-reviewed outlets and/or preparation and presentation of conference papers
• Experience writing and securing external grants
• Experience teaching or mentoring undergraduate students
• Willingness to travel abroad
• Previous experience leading international development research in a project and client management capacity preferred
3KM100 Global Research InstituteLocation:
William & MaryJob Open Date:
11/25/2020Review Begin Date:
01/25/2021Job Close Date:
02/02/2021Open Until Filled:
Instructional FacultySpecial Application Instructions:
To apply submit a resume/curriculum vitae and a cover letter. The site will prompt you for a list of three letters of recommendation. References will be contacted by us, giving directions for submitting a letter of recommendation.
For full consideration, submit applications by the review date, January 25, 2021. Applications received after the review date will be considered if needed.Background Check Statement:
William & Mary is committed to providing a safe campus community. W&M conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include reference checks, a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.EEO Statement:
William & Mary values diversity and invites applications from underrepresented groups who will enrich the research, teaching and service missions of the university. The university is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and encourages applications from women, minorities, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.