Post Doctoral Research Associate, EDHS
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2020-11-20
The School of Education and Human Development at the University of Virginia seeks applicants for a Post-Doctoral Research Associate to join the Virginia Partnership for School Mental Health (VPSMH) and Youth-Nex Center to Promote Effective Youth Development’s Remaking Middle School (RMS) initiative. With VPSMH, the Post-Doctoral Research Associate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of UVA faculty and staff as well as staff at the Virginia Department of Education to collaborate with university and school division partners to increase the pipeline of highly trained and well-qualified school mental health providers in high-need school divisions in Virginia. With the Youth-Nex Center, the Post-Doctoral Research Associate will serve as an integral partner in the RMS initiative, ensuring young adolescents have access to schools and out-of-school opportunities that foster positive learning and development, including mental health supports and services.
- Coordinating data collection and analysis of VPSMH activities,
- Developing and disseminating mental health resources for in-school and out-of-school practitioners (across both VPSMH and RMS),
- Facilitating training activities and communities of practice for school-based practitioners (across both VPSMH and RMS), and
- Collaborating with school divisions and university partners on systems-level issues (across both VPSMH and RMS).
- Earned doctorate in school psychology, counselor education, school social work, school nursing or related discipline at the time of appointment;
- Experience delivering school mental health services, especially in high-need school divisions;
- Equity in the provision of school-based mental health services;
- Translational research and implementation science and/or experience with systems-level consultation;
- Developmental and mental health needs of young adolescents and/or working with middle school (grades 5-8) students;
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and written communication;
- Emerging research agenda focus on school mental health, equity, early adolescence, or well-being;
- Physical Demands: This is primarily a sedentary job involving extensive use of desktop computers. The job does occasionally require traveling some distance to attend meetings, and programs.
About the Virginia Partnership for School Mental Health:The Virginia Partnership for School Mental Health is a federally funded partnership between the Virginia Department of Education, the University of Virginia, high-need local education agencies (LEAs), and school mental health university training programs across the Commonwealth. The overarching goal of the Partnership is to increase access to high-quality mental health services for students in high-need K-12 schools by establishing a statewide training and professional development network that will increase the quantity and quality of school mental health professionals and services available in high-need LEAs in Virginia.
About Remaking Middle School:Remaking Middle School is a nationwide, multi-sector initiative aimed at transforming the learning and development experience for young adolescents. We are leveraging research science to refocus attention and investment on the exceptional assets of young adolescents. RMS engages in a combination of direct design and implementation work with schools and field-building activities, including the design and dissemination of resources and partnership building across educational sectors. The lead partners in the Remaking Middle School are Youth-Nex: The University of Virginia Center to Promote Effective Youth Development and the Association for Middle Level Education.
Review of applications will begin November 30, 2020, and will continue until the position is filled. Selected Post Docs must have their completed PhD and be able to begin work by January 2021. This is an 18-month appointment with the possibility of renewal contingent upon satisfactory performance and the availability of funding.
Please apply through Workday, and search for ‘'Post Doctoral Research Associate, EDHS". Complete an application online and attach the following:
- Cover letter
- Statement of research interest
- Contact information for three references (name, title, relationship, email address, and telephone number)
Attach all documents into the resume submission field, multiple documents can be submitted into this one field. Alternatively, merge all documents into one PDF for submission. Internal applicants must apply through their UVA Workday profile by searching 'Find Jobs'.
For questions about the position, please contact Dr. Michael Lyons, Assistant Professor of Education, and for questions about the application process please contact Bethany Case, Recruiter. For more information on the benefits available to postdoctoral associates at UVA, visit postdoc.virginia.edu and hr.virginia.edu/benefits.
The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System which represents the UVA Medical Center, Schools of Medicine and Nursing, UVA Physician’s Group and the Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.